has anyone here been to New Zealand?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I am trying to sort out some options. I'll post details later if anyone has been there. thank you!

Spent about three weeks on the South Island (on the way back from the Antarctic). It's not to be missed! (Christchurch, Dunedin, Wanaka, Kaikoura)

--Kath

Elizabeth,

I THOUGHT I'd just read something on New Zealand.

Jim

Aviation Paradise Found

Touring New Zealand by air

BY THOMAS W. TRIPP (From AOPA Pilot, March 2005.)

ok, cool! I was wondering, if I had to choose between Rangitoto Island (volcano, climbing and hiking) and Waiheke Island (I was told it's similar to the islands near Vancouver - and here there will be wineries and so forth...)

this is a day trip.

which to choose? I'm leaning to Waiheke but Rangitoto looks so cool too! supposedly really stunning views.

and who knows, I may be able to fit em both in.

thank you!

woodstock said:
ok, cool! I was wondering, if I had to choose between Rangitoto Island (volcano, climbing and hiking) and Waiheke Island (I was told it's similar to the islands near Vancouver - and here there will be wineries and so forth...)

Liz, we did the Waiheke trip - I believe the last photo on the site was a water view of Auckland which was taken from the ferry to Waiheke. We hiked a path that runs along the shore for a way then had lunch at a town there (can't remember the name). Great food, very yuppy, good wines. Actually looked at a few properties for sale out of curiousity. Got the ferry back that evening. Very enjoyable day trip.

We never got to do the Rangitoo trip but I heard that was great too.

Tough choices with limited time!

bstratt said:
Liz, we did the Waiheke trip - I believe the last photo on the site was a water view of Auckland which was taken from the ferry to Waiheke. We hiked a path that runs along the shore for a way then had lunch at a town there (can't remember the name). Great food, very yuppy, good wines. Actually looked at a few properties for sale out of curiousity. Got the ferry back that evening. Very enjoyable day trip.

We never got to do the Rangitoo trip but I heard that was great too.

Tough choices with limited time!

excellent, thank you!

I might be able to fit both in - Rangitoto might be doable on the day I leave for home, which leaves Waiheke for the entire day before that. I'm going to the 99s conference in Christchurch, which will take in about 5 days on the South Island (various day trips) and then I'll be on the North Island for another 9-10 days.

I made the reservations yesterday! now I just have to decide on the odds and ends with my free time.

thank you for the info!

Jim Chumley said:
Elizabeth,

I THOUGHT I'd just read something on New Zealand.

Jim

Aviation Paradise Found

Touring New Zealand by air

BY THOMAS W. TRIPP (From AOPA Pilot, March 2005.)

I have both AOPA Pilot and Training subs, at home, but of course they tend to pile up. I'll scout it out tonight, thank you!

I lived there from June - October 1997, teaching skiing at Turoa on the North Island. Lived in the "carrot capitol" of EnZed, Oakune (look for the giant carrot!) and traveled a bit throughout the area between Aukland and the north end of the South Island (only as far south as Motueka, just south of Nelson). It is a wonderful place. They actually LIKE tourists there!

Back