Has Advanced Aero priced themselves out of market

Discussion in 'Home Builders and Sport Pilots' started by will44s, Oct 10, 2019 at 5:19 PM.

1. will44s

will44s Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Notch 8
    Looking at kits again now that I am in a position to build and my searching has narrowed to the same suspects as years past. Such as Velocity, Tango, Rv8, and Glasair II. All of these were reasonably priced with the Rv8 being significantly cheaper.
    Anyway come to find out you can't actually buy a Glasair I, II, or III any more since Advanced Aero bought the line up. In the process of ditching fiberglass for carbon fiber the price has skyrocketed to around 100 thousand dollars for the airframe only.
    This is probably old news to most of you but I just don't understand why they would do this. Used to have a niche for fast and cheap, now they have to compete with the likes of Lanceair in a much smaller market.

I guess its more rambling than a question... Is Velocity the last affordable retract kit out there?

2. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    I don’t follow kit planes, but I can’t believe they weren't carbon all along. If you understood the differences between carbon fiber and fiberglass you would understand why they did this.

3. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    Nice answer.
    If everyone understood everything, then we would have no need for questions.

TCABM and hindsight2020 like this.
  4. kyleb

kyleb En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    Glasair went out of business with the old non-CF lineup, so the market has spoken.

What the market will say about the upgraded kits, who knows.

5. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    He didn’t ask any questions regarding Advanced Aero, I was just commenting.

6. wanttaja

wanttaja En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Wanttaja
    I'm curious about what you believe the issues are.

My 1998-2017 homebuilt accident database shows 4041 total accidents, including 94 involving the Glasair. About 1.9% of the overall accidents involved structural issues...but none of the Glasair ones.

Is there some other issue other than safety you're alluding to?

Ron Wanttaja

7. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    I'm questioning my understanding of your answer. ;)

8. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    No, the issue is these are a premium kit and I would have thought they were using premium materials all along. Lighter and stronger is a rather common quality desirable in an aircraft. With this change in materials and other mods they are going to get a few more knots out of some already fast airplanes.

9. wanttaja

wanttaja En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Wanttaja
    Hmmm. I dunno.

The Glasair III has 81 square feet of wing area, which means there's about 160 square feet, top and bottom. Let's assume the entire aircraft has 500 square feet of surface. We don't know what weight of cloth they use, but let's assume it's 16 oz (basically a pound for each square foot). That's 55 square yards, so if we're talking two plies of fiberglass both inside and outside, that's a total of 220 square yards, or 220 pounds of fiberglass cloth in a 1600-pound airframe.

How much could carbon fiber cut that down? Once source I found says that CF is about 60% stronger than fiberglass. So, engineering issues aside, we can assume it saves roughly half the weight. 110 pounds using the above assumptions...but let's double-down and assume the aircraft empty weight is reduced by 200 pounds. Roughly the weight of a passenger.

So... is the Glasair III *that* much faster when it's not carrying anyone in the right seat?

Sure, speed will be improved to some extent, as will climb. But then we get to the cost of the whole thing.

Doing some quick research, looks like there's a 5:1 ratio in cost for carbon fiber to standard cloth. In addition, you have additional engineering to accomplish. If nothing else, parts made with fewer plies of CF will be thinner, which will affect the way things fit together.

So...how much additional performance are you getting for how much additional cost? Again, we're talking the difference in performance between a solo and a loaded standard Glasair. You're not going to see that much.

The biggest detriment to Glasair performance is that that design is about forty years old. It would probably see more benefit from a Lopresti-style drag reduction program than limited use of lighter materials.

Ron Wanttaja

10. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    I believe a clean up was what they were doing, maybe not.