Harley, I've got a question...

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
My wife and I are going to spend a few days in Maine leading up to some meetings in Boston the end of June. In addition to Acadia NP (which I've been to, she hasn't), what do you recommend? 4 days available, Sunday June 24 - Wednesday, June 27.

Thanks.

Will you be piloting into this fair state; or commercial and then renting a car? From Bar Harbor area you could "pilot" into KRKD(Knox County Regional Airport - Rockland) and take in Farnsworth Museum(world class art museum best known for its Wyeth family collections). On the other side of KRKD is Owls Head Transportation Museum. If you were to "pilot" into KBXM(former NAS Brunswick), or by highway, there's the Maritime Museum in Bath, ME; and the famed Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum at Bowdoin College, Brunswick. Is it possible(?) to miss LL Bean(Freeport)?

If in the KIWI/KBXM(Wiscasset/Brunswick) locales(either one a 15 minute drive --opposite directions -- for me), you're more than welcome to use my guest room. I only need an hour's notice. Also in Brunswick Bowdoin College's Art Museum is of wide acclaim. I've only mentioned locales en route Bar Harbor to Boston. There's also Camden, Boothbay Harbor, Five Islands(Georgetown), where I live. Y'all need more time, and Dr. Bruce wouldn't let you get out of the Bar Harbor area without numerous of "his" favorites.

Photos: Camden, Boothbay Harbor, Boothbay Harbor, Bath. The Bath image is a "copy" of my 24" x 36" photo canvas print, will show a texture not in the other images.

HR

Attachments

• Camden_5458(2).jpg
    Camden_5458(2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Boothbay Harbor(1)Random.jpg
    Boothbay Harbor(1)Random.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 3
  • B.H. Catholic Church.jpg
    B.H. Catholic Church.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • Photo canvas 24 x 36.JPG
    Photo canvas 24 x 36.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3
Oh, Ghery: Here is Five Islands, the southern tip of Georgetown. It's five miles south of my house. Directly across from the harbor is Hendricks Head Light Station, actually on the West side of Southport Island which is connected to Boothbay Harbor by the historic swing Bridge. (My aerial of the open Swing Bridge is too large to post)

Photos: Five Islands(Sheepscot Bay), Hendricks Head(my level shot from the boat is too big to post), Malden and Hen Islands(privately owned, connected by the foot bridge), Reid State Park(Maine's first salt water state park, not far from my house). Come to visit.

HR

Attachments

• Five Islands Lobster Aerial.jpg
    Five Islands Lobster Aerial.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Hendricks Head Overview_2.jpg
    Hendricks Head Overview_2.jpg
    794.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Malden and Hen_12.jpg
    Malden and Hen_12.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 3
  • Reid State Park_1 113008.jpg
    Reid State Park_1 113008.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My wife and I are going to spend a few days in Maine leading up to some meetings in Boston the end of June. In addition to Acadia NP (which I've been to, she hasn't), what do you recommend? 4 days available, Sunday June 24 - Wednesday, June 27.
If you're going to Boston from Maine, you'll be driving right thru my neck of the woods (the seacoast area of NH). It's very pretty here as well-- and like Harley offered, we also have a guest room that you & your wife are more than welcome to stay in! (And I'm centrally located, so you can enjoy Maine, NH and Boston from my house... just sayin'!). :)

The Portsmouth, NH area is a cute little seaside town, and there are parks near and on the ocean that are pretty. Hopefully you'll be able to stop in NH and not just cruise thru on "the 95." ;) (Referring to another thread here in which Californians- ex and current-- put a "the" in front of a freeway name).

Many people don't realize that NH has 16 miles (or 12, depending on which book you consult) of coastline. I hope you get to see some of it, glad you'll be out here!

Back