Harley: Camera question

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
My cousin has told me this, after viewing the Europe vacation pictures Liz posted:

These pics made me crave a good camera and a couple of wide angle and telephoto lenses with a couple polarizing filters....

I have decided I want a Canon xti 10 meg. I really want an older Canon 30D but so far I have not been able to find one in a pawn shop. I have heard toooo many horror stories of buying them online so that is out for me. So in the mean time I have checked out every photography book at our library and I drool on the Sunday ads.

So, where can she (or, I for her) get a good safe deal on a Canon 30D? Is that a good camera? Is there any reason she should steer away from either of those models?

My cousin has told me this, after viewing the Europe vacation pictures Liz posted:

So, where can she (or, I for her) get a good safe deal on a Canon 30D? Is that a good camera? Is there any reason she should steer away from either of those models?

The choice is excellent. As I respond to your question please note that my computer has been down for several days and I've not seen the photos posted by Liz(if same has anything to do with your inquiry).

There are so many crooked operations as relates to online purchasing of camera gear it'll rattle your teeth. There was a thread about same a few months ago.

There nothing like buying local, if only the pricing were to be equitable. However, that's not often the reality. The suggestion would be for you to
check online for B & H(in New York); and Keh(which is down South). Each is a reputable operator. Keh, specifically, deals in a lot of pre-owned camera gear via their
Buy & Sell(or trade) programs. I've been "out of it" long enough to not be on top of what's hot and what's not, whether new or used. Those two operators, I'd bet, are near the bottom of the list, relative to consumer complaints(if there are any). Check them out.

HR

Last edited:
Thank you SO much! I'll pass this along to her... Liz' pictures are not critical to the substance of this conversation... but are DEFINITELY worth viewing.

Troy

Canon just announced the 50D, so it may be worthwhile to look at the 40D soon. Prices should be coming down. The 30D is a great camera, I bought it two years ago and have no complaints at all. I'll likely get a second camera body but keep this one too. (I have three cameras currently - two are Canon point and shoots, great for when you are doing "social" stuff and don't feel like lugging the big one around.)

If she gets the 40D, the kit lens is decent - 28-135. I don't have that lens, but I've read of its praises.

If she gets a 30D, get the body only and buy lenses - don't waste space on the kit lens that came with it and you certainly aren't going to waste money b/c I bet they now give it away free with the camera. I didn't know that when I got the camera (I had just started up with the digital SLR stuff on buying this 30D) and quickly learned better. It's not a heinous lens, but you get what you pay for!

Right now I have three really good lenses:

Canon 35mm F1.4L (love this lens! L is the best quality - it cost almost as much as the camera did new)
Canon 24-105 F4L IS lens (also fabulous - and the IS is a nice touch)
Canon 100mm F2.8 macro - wonderful macro and I used it to take the photo you see in my signature as of today.

Good luck! And thanks for the kudos on my photos. :blowingkisses:

Liz, Thanks for the advice on those cameras... I'll pass this along to her!! I'm surprised at the cost of some of the camera bodies out there! It's been a while since I bought one. Some of the lenses are as much as or more than the body!

You wanna play, you gotta pay! It's like flying or anything else fun... sigh.

Last estimate roughly 7 grand invested so far...

Last edited:
Flying or cameras? :D Get that PP finished! You're running out of summer. And I know about medicals. I want mine back!

Let's not talk about it... ;)

actually the latest wrinkle is that my AME wants to hear from the doc who treated me for Babesia, now...

September is the best flying month - and October is a close second - actually the first half is the best of the year.

Back