Hard Landing...

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Anyone ever see this before? Know anything about it? Looks like they stalled it out a tad high. Tough Landing gear though.

Attachments

• MD80_Hard_Landing.wmv
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
No stall. they just didn't flare. I suspect there were structural problems too. Either that, or it was a test flight of a prototype. "I think we need to beef up the tail just a tad." LOL

Certification flight test by the FAA. Forget the specific test point being obtained, but intent was to land with a high sink rate.

hmm ok, seemed to me after watching it about 20 times that the sink rate increased at the very end accompanied by a slight nose up motion. maybe i am seeing thing. at any rate woulda been a crazy ride, and Im still impressed with the landing gear.

Never saw it before. Wow! Interesting the landing gear held up better than the tail. No fire. Seems like everyone ought to walk away with minor injuries.

What?! All my landings are like that!:dunno: :D :redface:

(Really, I have just about completely lost my sight pattern at the roundout/flare. I just hate that too. Sigh.)

Jim

I had read something with this video sometime back regarding this being a certification flight. The tail structure was strengthened greatly after this. It surprised me. I would have expected the gear to fail before any part of the airframe in order to absorb more of the shock.

http://amelia.db.erau.edu/reports/ntsb/aar/AAR82-02.pdf

About 0634 P.d.t, May 2, 1980, a McDonnell-Douglas, Inc., DC-9-80, N980DC, crashed while trying to land on runway 22 at Edwards Air Force Base, California.

The aircraft was on a certification test flight to determine the horizontal distance required to land and bring the aircraft to a full stop as required. by 14 CFR 25.125 when the accident oocurred. The descent rate at touchdown exceeded the aircraft's structural limitations.

The aircraft touched down about 2,298 feet beyond the runway threshold. The empennage separated from the aircraft and fell to the runway. The aircraft came to rest about 5,634 feet beyond the landing thresh6ld of runway 22 and was damaged substantially. Seven crewmembers were on board; one crewmember, a flight test engineer, broke his left ankle when the aircraft touched down.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the pilot's failure to stabilize the approach as prescribed by the manufacturer's flight test procedures. Contributing to the cause of the accident was the lack of a requirement in the flight test procedures for other flight crewmembers to monitor and call out the critical flight parameters. Also contributing to this accident were the flight test procedures prescribed by the manufacturer for demonstrating the aircraft's landing which involved vertical descent rates approaching the design load limits of the aircraft.

Last edited:
hmm ok, seemed to me after watching it about 20 times that the sink rate increased at the very end accompanied by a slight nose up motion. maybe i am seeing thing. at any rate woulda been a crazy ride, and Im still impressed with the landing gear.

You're not crazy Tony, I see the same thing. About 2 seconds before touchdown, or maybe 80% of the wingspan AGL, it suddenly drops like a rock.

Except the rock's tail wouldn't have fallen off. :rofl:

yea, read the accident report. to me it sounds like he was on backside of power curve to begin with, then chopped power. i seem to remember something like "the engineer noted that airspeed was decaying rapidly while descent rate was increasing" maybe not a full stall but getting there...

We have all probably looking at the tail but did anyone notice the sparks coming from the nose wheel when it hits the ground? I am not sure what those are from because it does not look like he lost the wheel. The MD80's have that bracket around the nose wheel and I wonder if he bottomed that out.

BTW what does that bracket do?

Here is a pic of the wheel with that bracket around it, http://web.telia.com/~u90121659/bilder/SAS_md80_at_UME.jpg

accident report said he blew the nose tire when it hit.

Tony did you get a video of Mari landing the Hawker? :eek:

Just kidding Mari :yes:

We have all probably looking at the tail but did anyone notice the sparks coming from the nose wheel when it hits the ground? I am not sure what those are from because it does not look like he lost the wheel. The MD80's have that bracket around the nose wheel and I wonder if he bottomed that out.

BTW what does that bracket do?

Here is a pic of the wheel with that bracket around it, http://web.telia.com/~u90121659/bilder/SAS_md80_at_UME.jpg

My understanding is that it prevents hydroplaning--displaces water to keep the wheel on the runway. Will try to find a reference for that statement...

EDIT:

The Boeing MD-80’s main gear deflector is positioned behind and between the tires to prevent water spray and FOD from being kicked into the inlet. The nose gear deflector also protects from debris coming from the outside of the wheels.

Source: (Sorry for the url name, I didn't name the file):

http://tinyurl.com/2lc4tk

Last edited:
My understanding is that it prevents hydroplaning--displaces water to keep the wheel on the runway. Will try to find a reference for that statement...

Hmm, interesting. I see that thing a lot on the MD80s but I cannot recall seeing it on other ACs like the 737 or 777's wonder why the difference?

EDIT:

The Boeing MD-80’s main gear deflector is positioned behind and between the tires to prevent water spray and FOD from being kicked into the inlet. The nose gear deflector also protects from debris coming from the outside of the wheels.

Source: (Sorry for the url name, I didn't name the file):

http://tinyurl.com/2lc4tk

I've wondered about that assembly for years. Thanks.

Back