Happy Washington's Birthday

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
The day that was originally a federal holiday celebrating the birth of our first President was celebrated on his birthday, February 22. The federal holiday was shifted to the third Monday in February, making it between February 15 and 21, and then it was expanded informally to honor all Presidents.

presidents-slideshow.jpg

I have had the privilege of living during these administrations:
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Harry S. Truman
Dwight D. Eisenhower
John F. Kennedy
Lyndon B. Johnson
Richard M. Nixon
Gerald R. Ford
James Carter
Ronald Reagan
George H. W. Bush
William J. Clinton
George W. Bush
Barack Obama

Thank you! I for one vote for moving it back to Washington's birthday, and calling it as such.

Poor Abe -- lost in the shuffle. When i was a kid, we got both the 12th and 22nd off school (at least, when they both fell on weekdays), but then they combined them to the current 3rd Monday and left Lincoln's name out of it.

Yeah, we got MLK day instead of Lincoln when that re-shuffle occurred.

Poor Abe -- lost in the shuffle. When i was a kid, we got both the 12th and 22nd off school (at least, when they both fell on weekdays), but then they combined them to the current 3rd Monday and left Lincoln's name out of it.

If you got Lincoln's Birthday off it was because you lived where it was a state holiday. It was never a federal holiday. Washington's Birthday has been a federal holiday since 1885. It was celebrated on Washington's actual birthday, February 22nd, until the Uniform Monday Holiday Act of 1971 moved it to the third Monday of February, which, rather perversely, insured it would never be celebrated on the actual birthday.

That's how I remember it too.

As a federal holiday it is still called Washington's Birthday.
Damn, you're right!

This holiday is designated as "Washington’s Birthday" in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.
http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/snow-dismissal-procedures/federal-holidays/#url=2013

The day that was originally a federal holiday celebrating the birth of our first President was celebrated on his birthday, February 22. The federal holiday was shifted to the third Monday in February, making it between February 15 and 21, and then it was expanded informally to honor all Presidents.

presidents-slideshow.jpg

I have had the privilege of living during these administrations:
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Harry S. Truman
Dwight D. Eisenhower
John F. Kennedy
Lyndon B. Johnson
Richard M. Nixon
Gerald R. Ford
James Carter
Ronald Reagan
George H. W. Bush
William J. Clinton
George W. Bush
Barack Obama

Well, the only one on that list that doesn't work for me is FDR. Yeah, I'm old, too.

Ah, the good old days. :D

Back