Happy Thanksgiving! What are your plans?

Going to my aunt's house in South Philly to be with my family. Its nice because I'll get the traditional "Italian" Thanksgiving like when I was a kid. Anti Pasto, Escarol soup then a Pasta course with meatballs and sausage, then the traditional "American" T-day food. Turkey, stuffing etc.

So, yeah, basically you're eating two meals. Yum! :D

Going to my aunt's house in South Philly to be with my family. Its nice because I'll get the traditional "Italian" Thanksgiving like when I was a kid. Anti Pasto, Escarol soup then a Pasta course with meatballs and sausage, then the traditional "American" T-day food. Turkey, stuffing etc. So, yeah, basically you're eating two meals. Yum! :D

Ahhh...I remember those days growing up. It's the American version these days but it's all good spending time with family, watching football and making that second plate for the late game.

Ahhh...I remember those days growing up. It's the American version these days but it's all good spending time with family, watching football and making that second plate for the late game.

Yeah, I think all of us with the Eyetalian heritage had the same deal. I miss the seven fishes on Christmas eve too. Some day I'm going to do that.

G'Ma D and I are taking the new to us coach to the eldest kids house for an overnighter, and will be celebrating the pending sale of the 24.

I hope the purchaser understands what a gem he's buying. Sorry I didn't up and see it before it goes.

getting to Fla is mostly Texas!

rinse, repeat Sun

Attachments

• FlaTrip.JPG
    FlaTrip.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 24
Played golf with son-in-law and grandkids today, having the bird at our place tomorrow for the family. So tonight she's figuring out a 20# turkey at 20 min/# and trying to figure out what time she has to get up. Less arithmetic was required for Hiroshima.

My grin for the day was seeing G. Bush's locker number at the club is 43.

:D Yea, pretty much! :D

So, Wayne, what are you doing for Thanksgiving?

I'm going to my elderly parents' house in the boondocks in Upstate NY. Having lived in the NYC metro area all their lives, they moved to a town with a population of about 700 people spread over about 40 square miles after my father retired and the taxes on Long Island forced them out. Now the whole family converges there for selected holidays every year.

Unfortunately, as my old father gets even older and more crotchety (a feat the rest of us marvel at with each successive event), these gatherings tend to be less fun than they used to be. Almost nothing pleases him any more. The rest of us sit around trying to come up with conversation of a non-controversial sort in an attempt to avoid arguments, but he has developed an uncanny knack for finding controversy in even the most mundane topics. Even once-safe subjects like baseball are fraught with risk these days.

But he's my father, and who knows how much longer he'll be around (he's already survived cancer and a heart attack). So the whole family will again make the trip and try to steer clear of topics likely to start arguments, as haphazard as it is to predict what those topics may be. It's getting more and more difficult as he gets older, but it is what it is.

-Rich

I spent the day yesterday dragging the runway @ Haas International Airport, 2wy3 :rolleyes:.. Put up a new wind sock and this morning making one last landing there cause I won't see the ground till at least june when the snow melts.. Maybe a stop at kdij/driggs Idaho for some hangar flying. Ground fog and 5f now but crystal clear above that.:yesnod: Can you say 'special'?

So tonight she's figuring out a 20# turkey at 20 min/# and trying to figure out what time she has to get up. Less arithmetic was required for Hiroshima.
:D Tom always worries that we won't have enough turkey or that it won't be done. The only time we didn't have enough turkey is when he caught one on fire :eek: and tried to toss it out onto the deck, but he didn't realize the screen door was shut. BTW, the gas oven was also a ball of fire at the time. :eek: Talk about a mess! He only got a few singed hairs on his arm and ruined his favorite Big Mac overalls. We were thankful for that...always something to be thankful for. :D

I am cheap but I would pay 4.99 a minute to watch something like that on video.:smile::yikes:

:D Tom always worries that we won't have enough turkey or that it won't be done. The only time we didn't have enough turkey is when he caught one on fire :eek: and tried to toss it out onto the deck, but he didn't realize the screen door was shut. BTW, the gas oven was also a ball of fire at the time. :eek: Talk about a mess! He only got a few singed hairs on his arm and ruined his favorite Big Mac overalls. We were thankful for that...always something to be thankful for. :D

Second annual turkeyday at home with my friend and my two doggies. I have bacon wrapped shrimp, lobster bisque, turnip/potato, beans, and turkey, several pies for dessert.

Husband came home sick yesterday, and is worse today. Cooking for yourself isn't much fun, but what am I going to do with all the food in the frig.:dunno:

We were headed to the farm tomorrow for the rest of the weekend. Looks like the sick one should stay in bed instead. So it appears that some unplanned flying might be on my agenda.....:ihih:

For Thanksgiving day, I am cooking a turducken (A semi boneless turkey, stuffed with a duck breast, stuffed with a chicken) and then taking it over to the in-laws for a small family gathering. But the big excitement is Saturday when my wife is flying us from Daytona (KOMN) to Atlanta (PDK) to visit friends that have tickets to the Georgia/Georgia Tech game (Saturday night). Us Yellow Jacket fans now have a team we can be proud of! Go Jackets!! I just hope the return trip on Sunday is a happy one.

I'm back at my parents house for the long weekend, first time i have seen them in a while, so it should be a fun and relaxing time. I'm excited for some pumpkin pie, and sweet potato's!

Well I had the most pleasant commercial flying experience ever, flying on the day before thanksgiving. I felt like I had entered the Twilight Zone. I encountered no traffic on the drive to ORD, caught the shuttle bus withing minutes of parking, had no line at the TSA checkpoint, and even got friendly TSA agents. To top the whole deal off I got an entire row of three seats to myself, and the pilot turned on channel nine as well. I think I'm gonna pay for this on the return trip :D

Tell me about the farm.

A sweet little property, 37 acres, in the hills east of Shenandoah mountains. Twelve acres in pasture, 25 in woods with 3 small streams running thru. An over 200 yr old log house that's in serious need of TLC, and a concrete block house made out of seconds (no 2 windows or doors are the same size) on a dry laid stone foundation. The property had been neglected for many years, but you could see the potential. We've had it 10 yrs, brought the pasture back into good grass, working timber stand improvement in parts of the woods, stabalized the log house, made the block house a little more liveable, and generally just enjoying the place.

About 70 miles from the city with the plan to retire there. During the week, we live and work in the city, weekends we work our butts off at the farm.......well, except when I'm goofing off flying. :wink2:

Aerial shot......the vineyard, orchard, pond, nice house is the neighbors. We put up the barn a couple of years ago. Most of the woods is not in the pic. And my land line is too slow to load another picture. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20081109Farm_Slawecki Air.JPG
    20081109Farm_Slawecki Air.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Went to a good friends house, very good non-traditional food, lots of good conversation, and several hours of variable quality Rock Band. It was great, hope y'alls day was good!

A sweet little property, 37 acres, in the hills east of Shenandoah mountains. :

Oh, a HOBBY farm. LOL. I grew up on a place not unlike that. I am in the middle of honest to goodness breadbasket farm ground and thought maybe yours was a working farm. Not that 37 acres isn't a lot of work at times. :wink2::smile:

Oh, a HOBBY farm. LOL. I grew up on a place not unlike that. I am in the middle of honest to goodness breadbasket farm ground and thought maybe yours was a working farm. Not that 37 acres isn't a lot of work at times. :wink2::smile:

Yeah, I'm amazed at how hard the real farmers around us work. Really didn't appreciate it until we got our little spot. So far, we've been good a "recovery" work, but growing stuff.......we haven't quite got that down yet. :redface:

Turkeys devoured, pies destroyed, today I begin the recovery ... :)

I smoked a 10 lb turkey, brined and spatchcocked, and roasted a 12 lb'er in the oven. Had all the kiddos, spouses, grandson and a niece visiting from CA - full house, fun times and even the Broncos pulled thru!

Attachments

• DSCN0241b.jpg
    DSCN0241b.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN3229a.jpg
    DSCN3229a.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 7
Well, since we had prime rib on Tday, Leslie's cooking a 20# for the 2 of us today.

Just got back from SE Penna. Filed for Chester County (MQS) on Wednesday as the ceiling was supposed to lift by the time we got there. It didn't and diverted to Lancaster (LNS) instead. Rented a car (if you call what we got a car) and drove to Jennersville to visit with my Mom, Sister, her husband and his parents.

Flew back today landing in gusty conditions, but real glad to be home to sanity again.

So Chris, are you 182RGing or driving?

We got out in the 182RG. I talked my parents into driving up to Ames Tuesday night so we could leave straight from Ames. We got out of Ames as it just started drizzling and wind was picking up. Twenty miles from Ames the ceilings went up to 6500. We did the whole trip VFR. The only hitch was when we tried to go east around STL the clouds cut us off and we turned and went west instead.

It was only 4.5 hours from Ames thanks to a 25-30 kt tailwind most of the way. Spent the day touring south of Atlanta and had more success finding areas where we DON'T want to live.

Another 1.5 hrs to MSL Wednesday night. Picked up Rwy 29 at MSL from 20 miles out.

We'll head back north Sat evening or Sun morning.

We got out in the 182RG. I talked my parents into driving up to Ames Tuesday night so we could leave straight from Ames. We got out of Ames as it just started drizzling and wind was picking up. Twenty miles from Ames the ceilings went up to 6500. We did the whole trip VFR. The only hitch was when we tried to go east around STL the clouds cut us off and we turned and went west instead.

It was only 4.5 hours from Ames thanks to a 25-30 kt tailwind most of the way. Spent the day touring south of Atlanta and had more success finding areas where we DON'T want to live.

Another 1.5 hrs to MSL Wednesday night. Picked up Rwy 29 at MSL from 20 miles out.

If stopping around Nashville (JWN to be exact), drop me a PM. Safe travels and good luck finding what you're looking for.

We had a great time with friends and family playing and flying at the farm.

Here are a few photos. Oh, and the first one is the Swift that Bruce flew in last August. :) The last photo is of my mom in the back seat...it's been awhile since she's flown with me. We had a nice flight. :)

Attachments

• PB280075.jpg
    PB280075.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3299.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 10
  • PB280088.jpg
    PB280088.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3273.jpg
    IMG_3273.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PB280073.jpg
    PB280073.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3262.jpg
    IMG_3262.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 12

What areas "south of Atlanta" did you look at? There is a great fly-in community just south of Atlanta with several homes for sale/rent.

What areas "south of Atlanta" did you look at? There is a great fly-in community just south of Atlanta with several homes for sale/rent.

We ended up signing a lease on a place in Fayetteville. We saw the info for Lyons Landing but that's quite a bit out of our price range right now. ;)

Well you are not too far from me. I do not know about Lyons Landing, but Mallards Landing is where I live (www.mallardslanding.us).

I advertise our annual spring and fall fly-ins and will let you know about the next one.

Back