Happy Thanksgiving - travel safely

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
As the holiday nears with the yearly record for travelling, I want to wish you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

PLEASE be careful, and respect the forecasts/icing reports/pireps, and if you're driving, watch out for all the maniacs out there. The turkey and your family will wait for you if you have to stop enroute somewhere for better weather or extra gas.

I hope to have the same number of members next week as we have today.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. :)

I'm driving my wingless Navajo (Ford Excursion - gets about the same fuel economy, just isn't nearly as cool doing it) to New York to spend it with mom.

Hope everyone gets much turkey and travels safely. :)

Flying the aluminum tube from LGA - ORD today and returning Saturday. Although I may be delayed, at least I will be delayed in First Class (outbound upgrades came through.) :yes: :wineglass:

Best wishes to all!

-Skip

Allow me to add a Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to all. Enjoy time with the loved ones.

What Tim said!

The Midwest is gonna get ugly... It's supposed to start snowing at 5 PM in Chicago. Already raining like mad here downstate.

The Midwest is gonna get ugly...
The midwest was already ugly yesterday, at least where we wanted to go <cough> and so were the Colorado mountains <choke>. I was supposed to be airlining this morning but fortunately (?) my day ran so long yesterday we are postponing it until Friday.

Not going anywhere. Daughter and son-in-law will drive up tomorrow. Dinner with his folks, dessert with us. Good timing, if past trends hold this will be the year his mom forgets to put sugar in the pumpkin pie. :p

And, with luck, Dad will get out of the hospital tomorrow and go home after his cancer surgery. We'll drive over to see them right after Christmas.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, we are outta here till friday late, we're going to the kids house till they kick us out.

Same to you all. I'll be sharing the airspace over AZ with some of you!

Happy Thanksgiving and safe traveling for all...

I made it through the grocery store lines and freeways and now my main threat is a hot oven.

I am trying to get to Memphis tonight and diverted to CRX due to a BIG A$$ front. LOTS of lighting and BIG claps of thunder. Waiting.....going to chat room

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone as well.

Happy and safe thanksgiving to all.... had a last minute change of plans, so Grant and I will have a nice, cozy thanksgiving dinner for three (us and the cat :) ). Necessary provisions (food & firewood) acquired; time to get cooking.

I fly tomorrow; it's 210 checkout time!

Happy Thanksgiving all....

Good family, good friends and good health life is great! I hope everyone enjoys their time together with family, sharing traditions that make the day special for all of us.

A special THANKS to all our troops providing the very freedoms we enjoy, I wish them a safe holiday celebration and comfort knowing they are in our thoughts and prayers.

and.....a Green Bay Packers win would top it all off.....GO PACK GO!

I had to go into town to get Mom on the busiest travel day of the year. The drive took 2 1/2 hours.

It broke on the way home.

Today they showing 14 minute trips on the Edens. I had no idea that's what it's supposed to be. :p

Gonna go back in to bring Mom out for dinner for the first time.

No cooking this year Mike?

Only a little warm up. I picked up pre-made dinners. I had to add stuffing, bean salad, cheese(!)-pumpkin pie and a casserole. I got some Pillsbury biscuits.

It may turn out that I eat all of that myself. :dunno:

Only a little warm up. I picked up pre-made dinners. I had to add stuffing, bean salad, cheese(!)-pumpkin pie and a casserole. I got some Pillsbury biscuits.

Good man! Just don't try to move after!

So far. For lunch I sampled the cheese, the dressing, the cranberries, the pie(cheese!) and the bean salad.

I'll get to the main courses tonight.

I have enough to last a few days. :D

Darn, Leslie and I were talking as we ate our turkey dinner with just the two of us, and said that we should have invited you over! We certainly had enough food! (An 11 pound turkey with all the trimmings for two people is overkill! :))

And what Leslie didn't mention in her earlier post is that tomorrow at the 210 checkout she'll be taking her father on his first GA flight. From northern Illinois all the way down to Philadelphia, Mississippi! I'm guesstimating at about 3 hours each way, with a stop in Sikeston (Lamberts) on the way back for an early dinner! Unfortunately, the W&B on the 210 isn't such to allow me, her, her father, and the instructor to do the trip without a bunch of stops, so I'm staying home.

Her father is ex-Air Force mechanic, so I don't expect he'll have much trouble with the flying. Plus, he picked up his A&P after he got out of the service, so if they have any MX issues, they're covered!

No traveling for us, but good friends from St. Louis drove to Denver to stay with us for the holidays. Our best man and maid of honor from our wedding - he's a retired Navy CDR E-2/C-2 driver; she's just a nut... together they're funnier that the Blue Collar Comedy tour.

I stuffed and smoked 25 lbs of buffalo sausage (no elk until next weekend, if all goes well) and smoked a turkey while my wife baked another. I'm still so full my eyes are turkey gravy colored ... :) Our daughter and son-in-law traveled to near Chicago earlier in the week to be with his folks, but we still had enough hungry mouths at the table that the leftovers from a 10lb and 14lb turkey will only make a few more sandwiches!

Best wishes for the remainder of the holiday and safe travels to all who are returning home.

Last edited:
My Thanksgiving Dinner was spent at Golden Corral, admiring a cute server. Actually, I spent well over two hours there, nibbling, drinking and... well, reading the Gleim CFI Maneuvers manual. Great dinner material, I tell you! But hey, it went quite well with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge topping. That was so effective at inspiring me, I had two bowls. :)

Today, I was to have a couple training flights. David calls me while he's already headed down and says he has had pneumonia the last four days and still not feeling great. :eek: I responded with something like, "Dude, go home!" He's a new CFI who just took his ride with the same DPE I'll go to. So, he's helping me get up to par on maneuvers and go over more details this DPE likes to hit on. He's big on aerodynamics. "Huh? I haven't seen them 'washout' the planes at our school?" B)

So, we'll see what happens tomorrow. If nothing else, it's a holiday weekend here at home... head buried in books and computer keyboard. :goofy:

Anyone in the mood for a turkey sandwich :D

That was lunch today. Yumm!

Didn't go anywhere yesterday. Our son had dinner with us and then our daughter and son-in-law joined us for dessert. Dinner at his folks place. Really seemed strange not having my parents here for Thanksgiving, but Dad is still stuck in the hospital. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. He'll get out of there eventually.

Don't overdose on football! Caught a little today (Nebraska must really be upset - score 51 points and lose by 2 touchdowns???), but also 1 hour in the simulator with my CFII working on ADF/NDB stuff. Simulator was working better than the ADF in the 182 did a couple days ago. And, no, it wasn't the nut in the left seat. :p

I didn't go anywhere either - I spent the week painting our new house, then I spent Turkey Day with the girlfriend and her family. I hope everyone had a great holiday and has already eaten all of their leftovers!

BTW - Moving sucks, especially in the cold and rain. But, at least we're in the house now and the process of putting it all together is under way.

Back