Happy July 4!

Thanks, same to you, Jack! Any big plans today?

Happy birthday 'murrica!
I don't know if you mean it that way, but when I see someone spell it "'murrica", I take it as a great insult. Kind of like the people that are celebrating "fu*k the fourth".
Perhaps I'm the only one that sees it that way.

I don't know if you mean it that way, but when I see someone spell it "'murrica", I take it as a great insult. Kind of like the people that are celebrating "fu*k the fourth".
I most definitely did not mean it that way. I always took it to be a term of endearment.

A lot of the self-righteous smug --------------- attempt to use it thinking it is a shot at rednecks and the like...

Happy July 4!
Hope you have a nice and safe holiday!

Reflect a little on the reason for the holiday.

back at you (sincerely, not snarky/snide)

Thanks, same to you, Jack! Any big plans today?
No, nothing special today. I hope to fly to this airshow next weekend:
https://www.wingnutsflyingcircus.com/
Yes, their website is out of date- I got a postcard for the airshow.
back at you (sincerely, not snarky/snide)
Thanks, and I took your greetings in the spirit you intended.

EDIT: better links for Tarkio
https://farmerpublishing.com/2022/06/28/wing-nuts-flying-circus-hosting-16th-annual-air-show/
https://www.devildogsquadron.com/events/510

I most definitely did not mean it that way. I always took it to be a term of endearment.
I'm sure you didn't mean it in an insulting way. And I do see how some could think it is humorous. I just feel it is disrespectful.

I'm sure you didn't mean it in an insulting way. And I do see how some could think it is humorous. I just feel it is disrespectful.
I shall endeavor to refrain from using that term in the future.

Dear Wife saw something posted somewhere saying, “Remember the holiday you’re celebrating only exists because people were harmed.” My head still hurts a little from the eye roll. But trolls are gonna troll. Screw ‘em. Happy birthday, America!

I kinda see it that way as well.

I also realize that if everyone was just like me, this country would be.....

so boring.!!

Wishing everyone a happy and safe 4th.!!

Also my 24th Anniversary. The great thing about being married on the Fourth of July is you always have fireworks on your anniversary night.

Also my 24th Anniversary. The great thing about being married on the Fourth of July is you always have fireworks on your anniversary night.
Ha. My CFI said he got married on the 4th in 2007 in order to make it easier for an aviation geek to remember (7/4/7)

Why don't people say "Happy Independence Day" more often? We don't say Happy Dec 25th, or Happy October 31st or Happy January 1st. I don't get it when people say "happy fourth".

Too flippin’ hot to do much besides soak in the pool today. We’ll toss a couple of celebratory t-bones on the grill in a while. Maybe watch fireworks from the front yard after dark. We can usually see three or four displays from our place.

Happy 4th, everyone!

Dear Wife saw something posted somewhere saying, “Remember the holiday you’re celebrating only exists because people were harmed.” My head still hurts a little from the eye roll. But trolls are gonna troll. Screw ‘em. Happy birthday, America!

Well, there’s some truth to that. If not for violence like the Boston Massacre, the British attack on Lexington and Concorde, and a few similar incidents, we might not have rebelled.

Though I doubt that’s what the whiny troll meant.....

A lot of the self-righteous smug --------------- attempt to use it thinking it is a shot at rednecks and the like...

Why should it be okay to insult rednecks? Haven’t they the same rights as all other Americans (or”’muricans” if you prefer)? Can’t we embrace diversity and show some love for our redneck brethren?

Well, there’s some truth to that. If not for violence like the Boston Massacre, the British attack on Lexington and Concorde, and a few similar incidents, we might not have rebelled.

Though I doubt that’s what the whiny troll meant.....
Exactly what I thought at the time. And I’m sure you’re right.

In my country it's called "Independence Day."

And Christmas is called "Christmas."
Seems more appropriate. I'd wager half of today's Americans don't even know why there is a BBQ on the 4th day in July. They just know it's a day the mail man doesn't come.

Seems more appropriate. I'd wager half of today's Americans don't even know why there is a BBQ on the 4th day in July. They just know it's a day the mail man doesn't come.
I HOPE you’re wrong. I FEAR you may be right.

And Costco is closed but almost everyother retail store is open with sales.

Red necks with guns have a bad name at times, but in time of war, they are the one who have the best success on the final battle field, the one where the victor actually possesses the land.

In 1776, those Rednecks were most famously called Minute Men, for the willingness and ability to drop what they were doing, pick up their hunting rifle, and start for the point of need. These were men who could reliably kill a turkey or deer with a single shot, at varying range. They were very effective fighting men, even though they were not trained or had any uniform.

They killed many more troops than their own losses, but there were Minute Men who fell, leaving wives and children behind, with no social support beyond friends and neighbors.

I hope that the city and suburban people of today have what it takes to stand up for the great nation that we are all a part of.

HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY!
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!
And SHOUT ABOUT IT!

Why don't people say "Happy Independence Day" more often? We don't say Happy Dec 25th, or Happy October 31st or Happy January 1st. I don't get it when people say "happy fourth".
In my country it's called "Independence Day."

And Christmas is called "Christmas."
I suppose saying “the 4th” kind of removes some ambiguity as to which country’s independence you are celebrating.

Why should it be okay to insult rednecks? Haven’t they the same rights as all other Americans (or”’muricans” if you prefer)? Can’t we embrace diversity and show some love for our redneck brethren?
It isn't OK to insult them.
Red necks with guns have a bad name at times, but in time of war, they are the one who have the best success on the final battle field, the one where the victor actually possesses the land.

In 1776, those Rednecks were most famously called Minute Men, for the willingness and ability to drop what they were doing, pick up their hunting rifle, and start for the point of need. These were men who could reliably kill a turkey or deer with a single shot, at varying range. They were very effective fighting men, even though they were not trained or had any uniform.

They killed many more troops than their own losses, but there were Minute Men who fell, leaving wives and children behind, with no social support beyond friends and neighbors.

I hope that the city and suburban people of today have what it takes to stand up for the great nation that we are all a part of.

HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY!
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!
And SHOUT ABOUT IT!
I'm sure the urban and suburban residents stand up for the USA. They are Americans too.

Just to be clear, I never said it was ok. I never implied it was ok.

Lo, many years ago, the Hessian government rented out some fine Hessian troops to the British King.

They fought with varying vigor in the New England region When their contract ended, they were given the option of receiving their cost of sailing home, or the actual passage. Some took the money, and stayed.

A friend of mine is a descendant of ne such, and the family has kept touch with one another for all these years. That is a thick notebook.

My friend met another man with the same name, who also claimed to have the names of everyone descended from their original settler. They compared, and found no match, but with further research, found that the two Hessians were brothers, the second came over without realizing that the first had survived.

One wonders how well those hired soldiers fought against men they decided to join forces with as Americans.

Cap'n Jack said: I'm sure the urban and suburban residents stand up for the USA. They are Americans too.

I was not knocking the urbans, I am one of them. I have also served in the Army, departing with about 5 times as many stitches as I entered with. Member of American Legion.

I am standing up for the "Red necks" who are taking such a beating in the press these days.

Last edited:
I suppose saying “the 4th” kind of removes some ambiguity as to which country’s independence you are celebrating.
When you're wearing an American flag man thong and an uncle Sam hat screaming "happy 4th" I don't see a lot of ambiguity.

When you're wearing an American flag man thong and an uncle Sam hat screaming "happy 4th" I don't see a lot of ambiguity.

I feel unpatriotic, having only a red, white, and blue T-shirt and flag-pattern socks. Where can I get one of those flag man thongs?

Reflect a little on the reason for the holiday.

To celebrate the audacity of a disorganized, under-equipped citizens to fight to own their own destiny.

Today many of our citizens question "why can't we be like country X". Because we're not any other country. We're America with all the arguments and infighting and yet we come together when it counts.

I've visited 35 other countries. I've enjoyed all of it but there's no place like home.

Took a friend and his college aged daughter on a flight today, her first in a small plane. Went over Harpers Ferry WV and then up over Gettysburg PA. Can you imagine what the citizens of 150 years would have thought of that?

The ribs off the big green egg are just a bonus. :D

Just polished off a t-bone, baked potato, and corn on the cob. Apple pie comes out of the oven in a half hour or so.

Wish I’d gone to the range today. Gunfire on the 4th just seems fitting.

We don't say Happy Dec 25th, or Happy October 31st or Happy January 1st. I don't get it when people say "happy fourth".

Around here, October 31st is Nevada Day. Growing up in Nevada we always thought of it as Nevada Day rather than Halloween. It's a state holiday here.

You know, I grew up with a sense of how our friends South of the US border were always intrinsically connected to America, starting with the national anthem.

"Jose, can you see..."

Am I the only one that didn't learn the actual words until the late teens?

I couldn’t see what you’re wearing over the Internet. Thanks for the clarification. :)

580d001dd2850c5c5a0fada947fc935f.png

Back