Happy 4th

242 years strong.

I remember as a kid on 04July my family would head out to the river. Pop would get a little fishing in while my sister and myself went swimming and more swimming in the river. Skipping stones, playing in the mud, chasing minnows in the shallow pools and grasshoppers in the grass. Mom would bring fried chicken, potato salad and yuckie green beans. We would dig ice cold Dr Pepper from the bottom of the ice chest, and try not to scratch the skeeter bites. Pecan pie for dessert, while Pop cranked the handle on the ice cream maker. I remember a neighbor had an electric ice cream maker and I thought that was the greatest invention ever.!!

About 5pm we would head home and clean up. Then into town for the fireworks show put on by the city. I would play in the play ground, the merry-go-round, the monkey bars and the swings until the sun set. Then pop would put my sister and me on the hood of the '55 Ford sedan to watch the fireworks. The first one was always a loud boomer to attract attention, then we would "oooo"... and "ahhhh" for the next hour as display after display exploded in the sky above us. The ending would be a cluster of red, white and blue sky rockets as an American flag sparkler display lit up the ground.

My favorite memory was of my dad carrying me into the house as I would fall asleep on the ride home, because, after all, I had had a full day.

Did the Peachtree Road Race, just me and 59,999 of my closest friends running 10 km down Peachtree Street. Runners in Atlanta refer to the three H's, heat, hills, and humidity. When I was running it was in the mid and upper 70s, but the dew point is 70 degrees at the reporting station right now, and in a solid crowd of runners, it's even thicker. But it's still a fun event.

DSC_0471.jpg

Peachtree Street has this sort of crowd for an hour and a half.

Happy Fourth, 'murica. Attended local fireworks display last night. It was decent for a small town. When I was a kid we bought roman candles and bottle rockets and packs of firecrackers and had our own little celebration out in the sticks. I think I was an adult before I saw public firework displays. I love the booms!

Happy Birthday 'merica!

Flew 2 lessons this morning.

Happy July 4th to all. The independence and freedoms we have in this country are wonderful and that extends to our general aviation system. Let’s all resolve to keep it that way.

Happy July 4th to all. The independence and freedoms we have in this country are wonderful and that extends to our general aviation system. Let’s all resolve to keep it that way.

I did notice that you failed to list POA. Are you implying we don't have those same freedoms here? Hmmm? :popcorn: :cornut:

It was a nice, mellow day indoors -- too hot to go out much. So we stayed in and watched the Diamondbacks lose on TV <sigh> ; then went up to the 15th floor roof terrace with some neighbors and a glass of wine, and watched the post-game fireworks from Chase Field.

It was a nice, mellow day indoors -- too hot to go out much. So we stayed in and watched the Diamondbacks lose on TV <sigh> ; then went up to the 15th floor roof terrace with some neighbors and a glass of wine, and watched the post-game fireworks from Chase Field.

You have a condo in downtown Phoenix?

A little Rock clarinet for your day, ‘Merica.

51c93775e32a0e8f1a19827937d75899.jpg

When I was in Saudi Arabia they brought a camel out to one of the bazaars. I learned that they pee on their legs to cool themselves off. I have no idea what brought up that memory.

Back