Hannah Belle crosses the Alps

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
A little stir crazy right now.. it's a fabulous day outside and I'm stuck reading financing contracts. Whee!

At any rate, here are some photos if you are likewise stir crazy today.

I bought a new BMW convertible and picked it up in Munich in May. I took my Mom with me.

Enjoy some photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/sets/72157605258259622/show/

ps. Yes, I named my car. I hope you can immediately figure out what the name means. :)

Elizabeth, these are absolutely among the most beautifully composed pictures I've seen. Can you post your route for us sometime? I'd love to see exactly where you went...

Whoa, that's some encouragement Troy, thanks!

Loosely:

Started in Munich, 2 nights.

Picked up car, that night, Zell am See Austria (start of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse)

Next morning - Grossglockner drive and visit to Heiligenblut (Holy Blood) before arriving in the Dolomites for three nights.

Dolomites - we stayed in a little village called Bulla/Pufels.

The morning we left the Dolomites I had long hoped to drive the Stelvio Pass (google it!) but it was still closed. It was cold and crappy rain that day, so no wonder.

We stayed in Switzerland that evening - Guarda (beautiful!!!)

The next morning, we drove via St. Moritz and the Maloja Pass to Lake Como.

We spent 6 nights on Lake Como - it was supposed to be 4 nights, but, the cold and crappy front had stalled over main bits of the Alps so we stuck around where it was warm and mostly sunny. We had intended upon 3 nights in Switzerland, but those three nights we split up as 2 more nights on Lake Como and an extra night back in Munich...

Finally, 3 nights in Munich at the end (one more than planned originally).

curious - when you clicked on the link, did the slideshow show up as "big" - filling most of your screen - or medium sized - just filling the middle part of your screen?'

I think flickr may have just upgraded because it used to be the latter and now it seems to be the former.

Hannah Belle = Hannibal. Crossed the Alps on Alpaphants.

curious - when you clicked on the link, did the slideshow show up as "big" - filling most of your screen - or medium sized - just filling the middle part of your screen?'

I think flickr may have just upgraded because it used to be the latter and now it seems to be the former.

Yes, the link, when clicked, causes your pictures to fill most of my screen.

Does picking up the car in Germany and driving it before shipping it home still have the benefit of importing it as a used car? A cousin (lawyer, naturally) did that in the 1960s with a Mercedes. Saved more than enough to pay for the shipping by avoiding import duties associated with a new car.

Ghery, I imagine they did something to enable a cost-savings. I only paid the regular shipping that anyone buying a BMW stateside would pay (they gotta put 'em all on a boat...) and the cost savings after all was said and done was roughly 2500 bucks, give or take. I initially thought it was going to be b/w 3 and 4 grand, but, after I saw the sticker and compared it to what I paid, it worked out to roughly 2500 bucks. Which didn't cover the plane tickets for the two of us. But, who cares, it was a great trip! :D

Hmmm. Seems to me I'll be doing much the same thing in a few weeks ... although a different route after pick-up.

Beautiful pictures. Enjoyed them very much. Thanks.

I enjoyed them too, especially the purple flowers and the lone wine glass.

The new 3 convertibles look pretty darn good, IMO.

Thanks guys!

If you want to see more of the trip photos (these are just a subset) I also posted folders by location - Munich, Lake Como, Dolomites, etc...

Back