Hangar space in LA area?

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I have a French friend who is planning to fly to Oshkosh this year and then continue to the west coast. He wants to park his airplane up there until the following year, when he'll return for a trip around Central America.

Does anyone have any contacts or suggestions for him to find hangar space for this period in the area? It's a Dynamic WT9, so pretty small!

I’m pretty sure you’ll be hard pressed to find an available hangar anywhere in Southern California much less the LA area. If you can find one, expect to pay $750 USD on up.

Seems like a weird plan. If it’s just for the plane to be stored for a year, it would be much easier and cheaper to find a hangar somewhere in the middle of the country (closer to OSH) than leaving it in LA. Even if it requires a couple of airline flights from hangar location to LA and back.

Hangars at popular airports in So Cal regularly change hands but you usually have to be on the inside track to even know of one coming available before it’s gone. They are often sublet so their availability isn’t on any list. FWIW he might look in the rural desert, places like Mojave and adjacent airports, Borrego, Imperial, Brawley and so on. Or Hemet. There’s more likely to be a hangar available at a reasonable cost, and as a side issue the drier air is also good for the plane in storage.

I have a friend who is planning to fly his Mooney from Europe to Oshkosh, then to the west coast, which will allow him and family to take repeated non-stop airline round trips for Mooney flying around the western US before he eventually flies it back to Europe again. He needs the plane to be within striking distance of a major west coast city to make that work and I’ve suggested the same to him. I would fly him to his plane after his arrival in the area.

I assume your friend has the Annual Inspection figured out for a year long stay - that might be an issue for a French registered plane stored for a year in the US. My contact’s plane is on N-register and we have an A&P IA available who speaks the same native language, which is helpful.

Last edited:
Most SoCal airports in the metropolitan areas have a waiting list that take 22 months to three years before you can get a hangar.

MPG at Van Nuys has some tie-downs available. Less than $200 a month. If that's of interest over a hangar, you might suggest that to your buddy.

Friends don’t let friends perpetuate high prices at the Prop Park in Van Nuys. It’s just silly.

Hawthorne too is equally overpriced since the takeover by Levi / advanced air.

Compton, brackett, El Monte, and even whiteman may have quicker lists than not since being in the midst of tossing out non aviation tenants to protect their grant assurances over the businesses that American Airports loved to bring in for extra money versus airport tenants. Imagine that: an anti-aviation organization - probably why they lost the contract and got dissolved.

Corona, cable and Rialto May have Spaces and aren’t terribly far.

Camarillo and Oxnard are hugely pro aviation and don’t generally sublease which equals lower normal aviation rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back