Hangar Rash

FuzyTech

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fuzytech
At the local school our one and only 172 received a bent elevator when returning it into the hangar the other day. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to find a replacement? This would be for a C-172N, right elevator. We are calling around to local shops in San Diego, we are located in KIPL. Figured I would check here to see if anyone has any suggestions on where to look besides the usual eBay. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Literally JUST went through this with our club plane. Got it back after 2 1/2 months and that was because the local A&P was able to work some magic. An actual replacement is ridiculously hard to find right now. Fortunately for us, the rib and spar were both undamaged, so a repair was a viable option.

20220109_190157.jpg

Ouch... Here's ours

Attachments

• PXL_20220313_015030080.jpg
    PXL_20220313_015030080.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 372
Looks like yours might be far enough back to not have damaged the rib. Obviously, I can't guarantee that, but it might be salvagable with just 2 skins and the end cap. You're still looking at probably $3000-3500 parts and labor. Maybe more on your end of the country. Hard to say.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'd look into having that one repaired. Even if you needed new skins they run about $300 per skin shipped and any other item you may need are easy to find for the most part. And depending on the repair scheme your labor will reasonable. While swapping out a different assembly is an option I always determined the economics of a repair first. Definitely worth a discussion with your APIA.

ASOD in Texas shows they have two. Looks like part # 0593000-4. They have a link to download their inventory in XLS format at Parts (asod.com). I saw a few others by googling the part #.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back