Handicap-Friendly X-Ctry $150K

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
An older, adult family member with limited range of motion and mobility has me looking for a small, cross-country, used plane that is very easy to get in and out of without assistance. Experience shows that ingress and egress over a wing is very difficult.

Mission profile: 600 nm leg plus reserves is preferred. Few longer trips anticipated.
IFR, prefer modern panel w/waas. Will file most flights.
FIKI probably not affordable but any features appreciated.
Prefer under $100k, anything over $150K not attractive, $200K absolute ceiling and unlikely to pay that.
May fly under new medical rules, so over 6,000 lbs and FL180 not needed, but like to go high. Turbo preferred.
ATP with about 3800 hours including considerable piston and turbine twin time. Have owned T210.
Would probably fly it 100+ hours/year, nearly all on x-ctry trips. Will own. Not interested in renting or club. Have hangar.
I expect to fly for another 10+ years, so it would be nice to buy with engines that will be under or not too much over TBO in 1000 hours.
Resale is absolutely of no consideration to me.
May fly half the time solo, much of the rest with one passenger, but want to be able to carry 3 plus adults and baggage.

The likely candidates seem to be:
Cessna 182. Simple and relatively inexpensive. I see it as a 2++ pax plane. Probably would work but not sure my heart is in it. Nothing smaller like a Cardinal, no.
Cessna 210 maybe what I'm leaning toward. 4++ pax in my experience.
Cessna 337 you hear good and bad. 4 pax depending on seating. Cheap and 2 engines.
Cessna 206 family models probably too expensive and a bit slow. 4++ pax as I'd use it.
I have time in all of them except the 206. There is good Cessna expertise nearby.

Piper Cherokee 6 or derivative - over the wing won't work but is the rear door a feasible entry/exit point? I have some time in them but it's been a while. (Yeah, if the pax was in a box it would be an easy fit).

Any additional reasonable suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Yeah, it would sure be nice to be able to consider Beech, Piper, Cirrus and so on, but they won't work. I have a lot of time in Cessna 401/402 and some in C303, C310, but I think the potential maintenance and operation bill of most twins would be too heavy. There is more chance that avgas prices will go up than go down. I'll fly LOP if possible, but even then......

If load-carrying is adequate, consider a Cardinal RG (177RG).

No plane is easier to get into, it's reasonably roomy, and it is an adequate cross-country plane. Add in Tornado Alley's Turbo Normalizing setup, and the 177RG can become near amazing.

If load-carrying is adequate, consider a Cardinal RG (177RG).

No plane is easier to get into, it's reasonably roomy, and it is an adequate cross-country plane. Add in Tornado Alley's Turbo Normalizing setup, and the 177RG can become near amazing.
He ruled out the Cardinal in the OP.

Piper Cherokee 6 or derivative - over the wing won't work but is the rear door a feasible entry/exit point? I have some time in them but it's been a while. (Yeah, if the pax was in a box it would be an easy fit).
OK, you the pilot are fully mobile, but the passenger is not?

This sounds like the exact situation I had a few years ago with my grandmother, and the rear door of the Piper Lance was perfect for loading her in and out from a wheel chair. It was reasonably quick, but I'm not sure there are any FIKI equipped.

OK, you the pilot are fully mobile, but the passenger is not?

This sounds like the exact situation I had a few years ago with my grandmother, and the rear door of the Piper Lance was perfect for loading her in and out from a wheel chair. It was reasonably quick, but I'm not sure there are any FIKI equipped.

This was the first thing that popped into mind for me too.

If disabled want to sit in the pilot or copilot seat then its a Cessna.

If the disabled riders don't ever need to sit up front, then I can't see how this can be beat.

I see fully mobile kids have trouble getting in a 182. Not so in a Cardinal RG, but they have trouble latching the doors.

Besides, the mission seems to require something bigger. Maybe a turbo 206 with the double rear door.

For the other people that dont know, what is this plane?

My wife has limited mobility in her legs and uses a wheelchair. I stick to renting Cessnas because of the high wing and doors on both sides. I have to help lift her up, but it's not too much of a problem to get her in the front or back. I used to fly a DA20, but getting her into one of those would be a nightmare. So would anything with just a passenger side door because I would have to lift her up into it and then climb over her.

I can also fit her wheelchair in the Cessna. The regular one she uses can fit in the back seat if I take the wheels off and throw them over the back seat into the cargo hold. She also has an older smaller chair that I can take the wheels off and fit the frame through the cargo door and then get the wheels in the cargo hold by throwing them over the back seat.

Another thing to consider might be, are they more/less abled one side of their body? If a stroke survivor has a lot of paralysis one side of their body it may make sense to try airplane with the big doors on the right side of the airplane such as A36, (newer) 206 AND then ones with them on the left like the PA32.

I knew a relator that built her house with two full baths on the first floor, one was better suited for left side paralysis and the other for right side paralysis.

Back