Hand propping with a rope

Looks safer than trying to pull that prop through with your hands.

Looks safer than trying to pull that prop through with your hands.

Hand propping is perfectly safe if you know the correct procedures... This is just dumb, there is so much potential for the rope to be ingested and catch fire... Or get caught in the prop assembly...

Except for an electric starter looks to me the ony way to do it. The prop stands to high for hand proping. Very much like crancking a lawn mower.

José

Hand propping is perfectly safe if you know the correct procedures... This is just dumb, there is so much potential for the rope to be ingested and catch fire... Or get caught in the prop assembly...

I wasn't saying that hand propping in general is unsafe (I've done it plenty of times), but I don't think I'd try to hand prop that specific aircraft.

Just imagine what would go through the head of the engineer who designed the spinner and backing plate if he ever saw that one...

... there's a loading problem that he never saw coming. :eek:

Then y'all are not gonna like this at all.

proprope.gif

http://www.douglasdc3.com/prop/prop.htm

It is a rigged video... The guy in the pilots seat hit the starter after the rope pulled clear of the spinner... Good stunt though..:yes::rolleyes: IMHO.

It is a rigged video... The guy in the pilots seat hit the starter after the rope pulled clear of the spinner... Good stunt though..:yes::rolleyes: IMHO.
I didn't see the aircraft yanked sideways as the rope got tight.
but I did notice the engine did not start until after the rope had dropped. like sone body waited until they saw the rope pull free before they turned the mags on.

Looks like some nasty side loads for everything built to have fore-aft loads.

Yeah, i guess this could be like asking a bunch of the grunts to push start the CH-46, as you crank the APU.

Looks fine to me. Hardly Darwin-level.

I didn't see the aircraft yanked sideways as the rope got tight.
but I did notice the engine did not start until after the rope had dropped. like sone body waited until they saw the rope pull free before they turned the mags on.

It does wiggle a little but I imaging if he had a full hopper it wouldn't move much

My guess would be that the backing plate and spinner would crunch prior to the prop turning.

Back