Hams..Get Your Straight Keys Out

I got my general when it was only 5 wpm, and I barely passed the code test. I've used 40m and 80m a fair amount, SSB and PSK, but I've never made a contact on CW. Played around a lot with NVIS portable, but never setup an HF antenna at home. Kind of have drifted away from the hobby since covid, I need to get back into it.

Had to pass 13 wpm for my general class, and 20 for extra...
Been doing morse about 50 years now...
Winter is the only time I get on ham radio...cold wx and longer nights.
I usually send 15-18 wpm...I can go faster, but I get sloppy.

I got my Novice back in 1974. I had a HW-16 (used) rig and a couple of antennas. That was when Novices were limited to crystals. About a year into that they changed the regs allowing VFOs but I never really had one. My 40 meter crystals (my favorite band) were no longer legal as they moved the band. I let the thing expire.

A few years later in college, I went down to the FCC and got a Technician license because repeaters were the big thing them (1977). I got appointed the manager of the JHU amateur station (they needed it to be an undergraduate and all I had to do is not deny my status if the university came asking). Still, I never got 13WPM to upgrade.

About 1987, an extra class friend shamed me into upgrading. I spent a month listening to W1AW a couple of times a day to get that solid. I got the advanced at a VEC session (and promptly got sucked into volunteering). It took me another four months to scrape together 20WPM for the Extra. That got me to be the Liaison for the exams at the Vienna Wireless Society. I ran the first exam in the country under the "no code technician" rules. I had 100 applicants for the technician alone.

I was not unhappy to see the requirement fall to 5WPM and then disappear.

Back when I was avid on HF, I did a bit of CW work. When I first got my Extra I had the call WO2L which is neat because "prefix hunters" jump all over you as there aren't a whole lot of active WO2 stations. That went away when I got N1RN (and yes I did have that as a reserved N number for a while, but I let it go when I figured I'd never use it. It's on some glider in WV somewhere I think).

I was always a straight key guy. Never could get used to a bug or keyer.

Way to go , Ron !
I use a vibroplex key (bug) exclusively...used to hate the darn things, but joined SKCC cw organization after being away from amateur radio a long time. They ask club members to use a straight key or bug. Now, I cannot sent worth a darn on my electronic keyer..:)

I always wanted to try a bug. Someday if I get a good deal on a classic vibroplex, I might put it in just for the hell of it.

Right now both the base station and the mobile HF rigs have been sitting in the closet since I moved.

Love it. Reminds me of a story in a 1980's QST on how to program which made a clock that gave the time as a series of beeps. Some of us pointed out that a different encoding (perhaps morse) might be more applicable.

Been a good little bit since I have been on although I do turn on some of the WebSDR stations and copy code from time to time just to see if I can do it. Considering I don't do it often I can usual copy between 10-15 WPM depending on the day. Usually I will just get a bug to go play on a cold winter day and make a few contacts then let it sit for months or years.

I have an old Ten Tec Triton II but also have a couple of home built tiny QRP (Rock Mite, Pixie) radios I have played with and made a few contacts with. My first rig was an HW 101. The Triton was a big step up at the time. I am sure I have a cheap straight key somewhere but usually use a Kent double paddle.

Not ham antennas. PRB-1 is meaningless.

It depends on how the covenants or laws were written. Many did not specify which antennas, so all antennas became OK. If they specified, then yes, ham antennas did not automatically become OK.

Hams had a bigger place in the communications years ago, and I thank those old time guys that did important volunteer work/play, for a hobby.

A belated Merry Christmas to all the Hams that do volunteer communications!

Christmas, 1957 in Northern Italy, the 124th Signal Company set up two stations, and did calls home.

I was UHF, the rigs used were HF, and I have no memory of the frequencies used. If you stayed up past midnight the connection to stateside telephones was fairly good. Some nights, the connections never came up at all, but the volunteers stayed at it for hours, trying. The volunteers were Hams with suitable licenses. The stateside Hams were just ordinary good guys. Some had "deals" with their phone companies, others just "ate" any long distance charges to reach your home. I was not one who got through.......

That week, we did not have bed check, and the volunteers were released from normal duties till lunch. They were expected to sleep, undisturbed.

One of the officers set up a code class, but repeated events canceling the class resulted in abandonment. The goal was FCC licenses, and the repairmen would be qualified for advanced levels from our 6 months of training. After I came home, the technical cert from the Army disappeared, so I let that hobby go. The First Missile Command spent a week every month in the field, and my team another week out in the mountains doing comm tests, so it was hard to find time that fit every bodies schedule.

Before I was drafted, I attended Bliss Electric School, working toward an EE degree. We had a radio club, and when we had a football game with Capitol Radio Engineering Institute, we cheered "Three Dit, Four Dit, Two Dit, Dah, CREI, CREI, RAH RAH RAH". Nobody but the students at CREI got it, unless there was a ham present.

learned code while my Dad worked on his general license. Once he was up and running I used his call KA3AAU to make a boatload of contacts never thinking he would know. Then I found out about QSL cards. Shortly after I tested through and finished with my advanced.

I gave up the radios when he passed, it just wasn’t the same. Maybe someday I’ll set up my station and once again enjoy the hobby.

N3DLM
I took the opposite path. Dad was an extra class. I would sit with him and help with putting up antennas and car installation etc but never licensed until years after he passed. Now it’s something I share with my brother. Often loosely around a conversation about our Dad.

I'm ex WA6NXL, WA7ESD and HL9VL. I managed to copy exactly 13 words in a row and got my ticket back when the FCC administered the tests. I could only advance as high as the advanced class due to my code inaptitude. I sold my equipment bit by bit to fund a divorce and let my ticket lapse. Paul-Radio equip.JPG

I'm ex WA6NXL, WA7ESD and HL9VL. I managed to copy exactly 13 words in a row and got my ticket back when the FCC administered the tests. I could only advance as high as the advanced class due to my code inaptitude. I sold my equipment bit by bit to fund a divorce and let my ticket lapse. View attachment 113540

That has to be the largest collection of Collins rigs I ever saw ! Also, the saddest reason to sell them...

I had an S Line back in the early 1980's...

WD4LNW

When was General 5 WPM?

1991 saw the no-code technician license (I hosted what I believe was one of the first VE sessions after this passed).
1999 Novice and Advanced new licenses eliminated. General and Extra go to 5WPM.
2006 All code requirements elimiated.

I got my novice is 1974 (WN3SBS), my tech in 1977 (N3AGV), my advanced in 1987 (KE2LG) and my extra in 1988 (WO2L, N1RN). Did the full speed for all of these.

Got my 2nd class (now the only class) radio telephone based on my extra 20WPM test.

Aaah, I was thinking that he was saying it was 5 then went up to 13. Doing it when it was 5 WPM is a newbie. :D

I did the no-code tech in about 92. I passed my General exam at the same time. Just under a year later I did the 13 WPM code test and the Advanced test. So jumped to Advanced.

I have kept the Advanced as it is the only ticket that was never a no-code one

I haven't used cw since the late 80's. And since Dad flew west/went SK. I've not been on the air much anyway. Still have the 80m dipole, and the 40m Moxon rectangle, all hooked up and ready to go at a moment's notice. but just don't have the "want to" much anymore.
KM4HGU

Hay! I've got an idea! Let's all hook up SSB on 40m or 80/75m some time in the near future. Mabe start a net.

Hay! I've got an idea! Let's all hook up SSB on 40m or 80/75m some time in the near future. Mabe start a net.

Well, I gotta get a radio back on the air first, but it would be fun to argue over the air instead of the internet.

I got my novice is 1974 (WN3SBS), my tech in 1977 (N3AGV), my advanced in 1987 (KE2LG) and my extra in 1988 (WO2L, N1RN). Did the full speed for all of these.

I got my technician, general, and extra the same evening in 2007. All the code requirements were long gone by then.

I'd have to get an antenna up, but I'm interested.

Between the internet and cell phones most of what I used amateur radio for fell by the way side.

I never worked much SSB. Some, in the early to mid 90s, but found myself really drawn into CW and then QRP. Worked quite a bit of PSK31 for a while, but haven’t been on the air in I don’t know how long. Still have a TS-850SAT here and a couple of Rock-Mites. Maybe post retirement…

Well, I gotta get a radio back on the air first, but it would be fun to argue over the air instead of the internet.

I have to get my vertical attached to the coax. And hang a wire antenna (have the antenna).

But no longer comfortable with climbing on the roof.

Also have to clean out the room and shack area to get to the radio. :D

—.- —.- —..

Great song with an aviation basis.

Aaah, I was thinking that he was saying it was 5 then went up to 13. Doing it when it was 5 WPM is a newbie. :D

I did the no-code tech in about 92. I passed my General exam at the same time. Just under a year later I did the 13 WPM code test and the Advanced test. So jumped to Advanced.

I have kept the Advanced as it is the only ticket that was never a no-code one

I've got quite a bit of grey hair, and I'll probably be filing for social security in about 10 years, but a ham radio club meeting is one of the few places I can go and be a "youngster".

The other place seems to be at a lot of fbo's...

N6TPT here. ARRL TA, VE and member of the ARRL EMC Committee. I haven't worked CW in decades, so I don't embarrass myself on SKN. And, yes, I do hold an Amateur Extra class ticket. As did my initial CFI, years ago. Did that help me use the radio on the plane? Are you kidding?

I've got quite a bit of grey hair, and I'll probably be filing for social security in about 10 years, but a ham radio club meeting is one of the few places I can go and be a "youngster".

The other place seems to be at a lot of fbo's...

When I was active, the no-code tech infused ham radio with a LOT of younger people. Including me. :D

I passed my Novice license (5wpm) when I was 14yo (so 41 yrs ago?), and kept up the pressure until I passed the Extra exam (20wpm).

I allowed my proficiency to peak in the mid-30s, and can still pass a 20wpm test today.

But sadly, have no gear set up at this time. I have tons of it - just nothing ready-to-go.

Back