HAM radio

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by Tarheelpilot, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Hang 4

Hang 4 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hang 4
    It was - Look at the VOR on the chart, here's the dots and dashes, listen and make sure it matches. I'm guess that's what 90% of people are taught these days. All I was saying I didn't realize it spelled the VOR ID. No need to know Morse to do the check. The only morse I know is S and O - SOS.

2. Spring Ford

Spring Ford Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    SpringFord
    I understand that during WW2 enemy radio transmissions were monitored continuously by operators who wrote down every message. These messages were often in code and were a sequence of random characters. These cryptograms where then send to the codebreakers. After a year or two of that your morse reading might get quite good? It might well still be going on?

Regarding hearing sounds v seeing tapes -

The physicist Richard Feynman (of Challenger investigation fame - and a Nobel Prize:) reported that at university he started keeping time (for short intervals) by counting. He "talked" silently to himself. He was astonished when a colleague reported also keeping time but by "observing" a tape scrolling past. Feynman could keep time and read but not listen to speech and the other guy could keep time and listen but not read. Or something like that, for more precision look it up yourself:)

http://generallythinking.com/richar...esses-did-he-know-nothing-about-psychology-v/

"He’d count to a minute in his head and learn that when he got to 48, a minute had passed. Then he tested what else he could do while doing this, and he could read but not talk.

when Feynman told mathematician John Tukey about this, Tukey could do the reverse — talk but not read. The reason was that Feynman would talk to himself in his head, while Tukey would see an image of a clock ticking over. Feynmann suggests this could be because people think differently"

I seem to recall that in later life Feynman reported that he always knew the time quite accurately. Funny what you can get brains to do.

SCCutler likes this.
  3. Doug Reid

Doug Reid Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    This week is Novice Rig Roundup. A fun contest ( not really a contest) to get those old radios back on the air. You do not need a novice rig to play...all are welcome :http://novicerigroundup.org

4. weirdjim

weirdjim En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    weirdjim
    Oh, Lord, my boss let me take a 6DQ5 horizontal sweep tube that just wasn't cutting it in a customer's TV B/W TV set and a gassy 6SN7 as the oscillator powered by a transformer cut out of a WWII piece of junk and let me spit out 50 watts on 40 and 20 (1958). I wish to hell I could find that old piece of solid sewage and put it back on the air. It chirped like a parrot and the DC supply was probably half AC (who could afford an oscilloscope on a high school sophomore's budget) but it got me a fair share of contacts.

Jim

Ghery likes this.
  5. Doug Reid

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    Jim, you are exactly what I like to hear during NRR...I love working CW to those stations that go Whoop Whoop ! :)

BTW, I sent you a PM about something else.

See, ya

6. Stan Cooper

Stan Cooper Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    I just treated myself to a new Elecraft KX2. It's a very capable HF QRP transceiver, but it has a steep learning curve; every button and knob has multiple functions and the menu tree is insane. I'm really impressed, but still feel I just started being able to take advantage of its capabilities.

I feel like the DC-9 captain who was cross-training from steam gauges to a glass cockpit A320 and said he now knows how a dog feels watching television.

Once I feel a little more competent, I'm going to try using it aeronautical mobile.

[​IMG]

Doug Reid, idahoflier and -KLB- like this.
  7. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast

My Yaesu 897 was like that. Menus inside of menus. I used Ham Radio Deluxe to run it and that made life wonderful.

Doug Reid likes this.
  8. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    Thanks for the tip. Their website says the KX2 is one of the supported radios.

9. cessna182b

cessna182b Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    DAVID JOHNSON
    Back in the 1970s W6AM spoke at the local ham club meeting. He's the guy who had an array of rhombic antennas on top of Palos Verdes in Los Angeles. Anyway, he showed us
    his Cadillac, in which he had installed a kilowatt 20 meter rig. He operated CW while driving - with the key taped to the seat next to his leg. Not something I would do - but
    that was his thing.

Dave (NF6F)

10. IK04

IK04 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    Which rig have you been using? The KX2 is pretty dated an its menus are nowhere near as complicated as some of the current radios...

11. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I loved operating mobile in the day. I had an old tentec and an outbacker antenna. SSB though, CW was reserved for the fixed station.
    My wife couldn't figure out why I was sitting in my car in the driveway one day, but I was working Japan and wanted to finish up the QSO.

12. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    The KX2 was introduced 3 years ago and the firmware has been updated frequently since its introduction, so I'm not sure what current radios you're thinking about. I know I wouldn't want a radio with more complicated menus. o_O

Here's a YouTube video accompanying the May, 2017 QST product review:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Doug Reid likes this.
  13. KRyan

KRyan Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    KRyan
    The Dayton Hamvention is this weekend! I'll be there working at the Dayton Amateur Radio association "Special Event Station." Don't know how much actual operation I'll be doing, but I'm scheduled to be the station monitor (to help the actual operators) from 1500 to 1700 on Friday. I expect most of the rest of the time I'll be either shopping or doing "scut work." Going out there tomorrow to help set up the stations, and may have to go on Thursday as well, depending upon what we don't get done on Wednesday. The Hamvention actually opens at 9am on Friday May 17 and is over on May 19 at 1pm.

14. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    Color me green with envy. I've attended Hamvention twice and had a great time. :D

15. DaleB

DaleB En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    How is it now that I hear they've moved away from that horrid pit of Hara Arena?

My wife and I went for a few years -- we had a booth for my former side business. Never did really get to go browse around and shop, we were way too busy with the booth. After the last trip, though, she swore she'd never go back and I felt the same way. Started out with our brand new truck getting broken into at the hotel (not a Hamvention problem) and ended with backed up sewers. I do miss seeing some old friends there, but not enough to make the 12 hour drive.

16. KRyan

KRyan Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    KRyan
    It's not at Hara any more. It's at the Greene County Fairgrounds in Xenia. I went the first year they were there (2017), and didn't go last year. The first year they had a lot of traffic problems, as the fairgrounds are pretty remote, but I understand last year was much better.
    The fairgrounds are very nice, with many new buildings. I think it's a great venue for Hamvention.

17. Doug Reid

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    I like the old cw rigs..just finished SKCC QRP WES on my Ten Tec 505. Band conditions were not very good, but still managed to have a fun time between thunderstorms here.

18. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast
    Orlando Hamcation is right in my backyard so I have attended several years, but never made it to Dayton. Someday. I should get back on the air one of these days.

19. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    Boy, that sure brings back memories. I was KX6IS on Ennylabegan, one of the Kwajalein Atoll islands, in 1971 and 1972 using my Ten Tec 505. I still have it. I worked Ascension Island which was halfway around the world on 20 meters using 5 watts; he gave me 559.

The hair was a few shades darker. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    denverpilot and Doug Reid like this.
  20. Doug Reid

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    Hi Stan,
    I read your QRZ bio page..very interesting. I still operate a set of Heathkit Twins, SB303 and SB401. What is the radio in your first pic ?

Doug Reid WD4LNW

21. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    Doug, that was my Collins KWM-1; it was my pride and joy and my first SSB rig. The photo is from 1962 when I had it set up in my barracks at Vandenberg AFB. Back then, the FCC was issuing "additional station licenses" for folks who resided in a different area, so I was issued WA6YZV (a terrible call for CW).

I had to limit my operations to the middle of the night because of TVI. That turned out to be OK since I worked mostly swing shift and could sleep in.

Doug Reid likes this.
  22. Ghery

Ghery Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    I'd love to get to Dayton some time. I've only been a ham for 30 years and haven't made it yet. Heading for Puerto Vallarta on Saturday, so this year isn't in the card. Have fun.

N6TPT

Doug Reid likes this.
  23. Doug Reid

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    Hi Stan:
    I thought the face on the rig resembled a Collins...man, I hope you still have that one stashed away !

24. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    I sold it to a Collins collector twenty years ago and have been kicking myself ever since. :(

Doug Reid likes this.
  25. Doug Reid

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    I have never seen a KWM-1 before...KWM-2’s yes. Nice radio !

Don’t feel too bad...my Mom threw out all my old baseball cards when I was a kid...probably worth a fortune today....not valuable at the time...oh well.

26. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast

You should have seen the comic book collection I had before I left for college and Mom tossed it. I could have retired 10 years ago....

Doug Reid likes this.
  27. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    Doug, it covered 14 - 30 MHz in ten 100 kHz segments using a plug-in module, so no lower frequency HF bands (40 and 80 meters). It packed 175 watts PEP with a pair of 6146s in the final. I'm sorry I sold it.

Specs from the Collins Collectors Association:
    http://www.collinsradio.org/cca-col...ipment-of-collins-radio/the-grey-boxes/kwm-1/

28. pmanton

pmanton Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1431A
    Since you mentioned Collins Now long gone.
    Paul-Radio equip.jpg

Doug Reid likes this.
  29. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    Yes! A complete S-Line station with a 30L-1 linear (in South Korea).

Doug Reid likes this.
  30. flyingron

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I used to be a control operator at the Goddard Amateur Radio Club when they'd rebroadcast the shuttle missions on HF. We have five complete collins stations setup with linears. I also was there one night on a SAREX pass and decided to try it with their oscar rig.

Doug Reid and Stan Cooper like this.
  31. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    Pretty cool, Ron. A buddy of mine on Johnston Island, Jerry Jarboe (not a ham), was at Goddard in the 1966-1968 timeframe while I was at Goldstone during the Lunar Orbiter and Surveyor missions.

Doug Reid likes this.
  32. flyingron

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I never worked there, but I knew a lot of the guys and since I had an extra class license back then they were eager to have me cover some of the control op shifts.

33. Ghery

Ghery Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    I've seen a KWM-1. Now, I wish I had been a ham in the late 1970s when I worked for the Navy. We had a KWM-2A in one of our vehicles. Do you know the difference between a KWM-2 and a KWM-2A? :D

34. Stan Cooper

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    The 2A has an additional crystal board to provide frequency coverage outside the ham bands for MARS and military applications. There's a front panel switch to switch between the two crystal boards. We had a KWM-2A and 30S-1 at the MARS station on Johnston Island hooked up to a 7-30 MHz Andrew log periodic antenna on top of a 100 foot tower (it was a monster).

Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    Ghery likes this.
  35. Ghery

Ghery Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    Bingo!