Ham mentors?

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
I know a number of you are hams, so I thought I'd toss this out there...

Since flying is pricing me out right now, I'm going to fall back on my lost hobby of amateur radio. I need to dig out my mobile and HT for 2M work, and I need to get a new bracket and DC cable for the mobile (60$ right there from AES).

Other than that, I'm looking into what HF privs I have with my tech license, and am looking at taking the exams for the other licenses since code has been abolished (not that I don't want to learn code too, just makes it easier).

Suggestions for my foray into the realm of HF (particularly any information for antenna setups in apartment buildings) and any other various things that might pique my interest (I'm looking at HSMM too) would be quite appreciated!

Thanks!

73s,

KI4CLM

I (KC0UCQ) received my technicians license about two years ago. I played around with building my own 2 meter repeater using a PC. It worked half decently--but I got sick of it.

I never ventured beyond 2 meter. Over time I completely lost interest because quite frankly there are some weird damn people hanging out on the 2 meter repeaters all day. Once I moved to Minneapolis--it was even worse--you couldn't have a conversation without some freak connecting everything you say to a random government conspiracy. I'd probably be more interested in the amateur radio world if I could find some normal people doing it.

William, you could setup your own Echolink node. It might actually be fun if we could get a bunch of POA people doing it. I keep trying to convince Spike that it would be a good father/son thing with Tommy.

I (KC0UCQ) received my technicians license about two years ago. I played around with building my own 2 meter repeater using a PC. It worked half decently--but I got sick of it.

I never ventured beyond 2 meter. Over time I completely lost interest because quite frankly there are some weird damn people hanging out on the 2 meter repeaters all day. Once I moved to Minneapolis--it was even worse--you couldn't have a conversation without some freak connecting everything you say to random government conspiracies. I'd probably be more interesting in the amateur radio world if I could find some normal people doing it.

About the only thing I ever really used my 2M for was the nightly nets. Other than that, it was interesting when traveling to new towns and hopping on their repeater, but VHF just seems relegated to cell phones now. Though I will say I've thought about getting a couple of alinco DJ-V17Ts for my trips to theme parks. Waterproof and about a million times better than the FRS walkie talkie crap. Just have to get a few of my friends to take the Element 2 :D

HF is where I'd really like to play, my only real concern is coming up with an antenna solution and the power requirements.

William,

You can find Part 97 of the FCC Rules at http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...8&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47cfr97_main_02.tpl

Section 97.301(e) provides the frequencies you can use as a Novice, Technician or Technician Plus. You have HF privileges in the 80, 40, 15 and 10 meter bands. Note that we are in ITU Region 2. It matters on 40 meters.

Section 97.305 provides tables of authorized emissions types. You're limited to CW, except for the 28.300 to 28.500 MHz portion of 10 meters where you can run SSB voice.

If I can help, please feel free to contact me.

Ghery, N6TPT
ARRL Technical Advisor

William,

You can find Part 97 of the FCC Rules at http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...8&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47cfr97_main_02.tpl

Section 97.301(e) provides the frequencies you can use as a Novice, Technician or Technician Plus. You have HF privileges in the 80, 40, 15 and 10 meter bands. Note that we are in ITU Region 2. It matters on 40 meters.

Section 97.305 provides tables of authorized emissions types. You're limited to CW, except for the 28.300 to 28.500 MHz portion of 10 meters where you can run SSB voice.

If I can help, please feel free to contact me.

Ghery, N6TPT
ARRL Technical Advisor

I appreciate the info. I'm just trying to delve more and more into it, so I'm going to need some books if you know of any good ideas. If I lived closer to Charlotte, I'd just spend a few days a week at the amateur radio room at Discovery Place and chat with the guys there, but alas I can't do that.

I see your two young call signs and look back to when mine seemed so new. As a teen I used to hang out with "old timers" with calls in the W0xxx or WA0xxx. A few managed to get a 1x2 or 1x3 call as techs or general class.

Jesse, I'm guessing many of those you speak of are the old timers who make me seem pretty young. They are still into a hobby that has dang near died. In the `70s, there were three ham stores in St. Louis and a few other hobby electronics stores. I think the only one left is Gateway.

I hardly spent any time around kids from my own high school. Most all my friends were through ham radio and up in St. Louis, twenty-five miles away. One guy became my best friend whose father was an engineer at Monsanto. At the time, Monsanto gave a lot of money to its company ham club.

All the local folks into ham radio were adults twice or more my age. I still spent a fair amount of time around a couple "Tom's." The first Tom was heavily into RTTY and was also a captain with Ozark Airlines. The other was a state trooper as well as a family friend. Both knew each other through ham radio.

Another guy I knew was an engineer with AT&T. He got us into his communications facility that handled military communications that also included communications for Air Force One. Geeze, try getting near that stuff today.

Like being a pilot, ham radio can bring some unique folks together. I don't know how much that's still the same today but I'm sure it's still there.

I've considered putting my 2M/70CM mobile in the Cherokee. I've got a laptop mounted in there with internet access. So, why not?

`73s

WD0GVU

I have played with 2M before in an airplane. That's actually kind of a fun combination.

I have played with 2M before in an airplane. That's actually kind of a fun combination.
Yep, it is. I listened to locals flying over TN and KY on the way to CPS. About 150 miles out, I called my friend on the .521 machine in STL telling him my ETA. He and his dad own that repeater as well as a 70CM machine.

He makes trips to Australia every two years. In the `90s, he was still able to go up to the flight deck and log a couple calls on HF from up in the flight levels. That won't happen any more, as well. :(

I've considered putting my 2M/70CM mobile in the Cherokee. I've got a laptop mounted in there with internet access. So, why not?

`73s

WD0GVU

Kenny, you've touched on a couple of things that interest me, here.

First of all, I have always thought that, since the cellular networks are effectively useless to aircraft in flight, 2m repeaters with autopatch might be a viable option for limited "open" contact from aircraft, and it seems to me that it would not take that much effort to organize a systematic way to do this for pilots.

Secondly, how, pray tell, how do you have a laptop with Internet access set up in the Cherokee? Is it a connection you can actually use while in flight, or is it a WiFi rig for outside the FBO?

First of all, I have always thought that, since the cellular networks are effectively useless to aircraft in flight, 2m repeaters with autopatch might be a viable option for limited "open" contact from aircraft, and it seems to me that it would not take that much effort to organize a systematic way to do this for pilots.

Secondly, how, pray tell, how do you have a laptop with Internet access set up in the Cherokee? Is it a connection you can actually use while in flight, or is it a WiFi rig for outside the FBO?

Jeep Cherokee

As far as autopatch goes spike--It's possible. Given the range you can get with a good 2 meter repeater and an aircraft--it'd also be possible to scale it across pretty large distances. It's just a matter of doing it. The problem is most ham radio operators are not pilots therefore do not have any desire to do it. A commercial company can't do it either.

You could develop a database of amateur radio repeaters with auto patch support and the associated codes to do it. From there you could take GPS input and always have the best one tuned in with the codes you need. You could easily carry on a conversation because unlike cell phones--you won't be switched to another tower every second. No, I'm not offering to compile the database or write the software to geolocate :)

If you always flew the same route it would be trivial to come up with repeaters that you could hit to make phone calls. But it would be rather difficult to fly from the west coast to the east coast expecting to be able to get a repeater. Most autopatch systems require a "code" that you usually get by joining that club and giving them $20 or something.

Last edited:
Spike - I seem to remember listening to a speech by a gal who flew a Mooney around the world, and shoot i can't remember her name, even had supper with her afterwards. She had a Ham radio setup and was able to get internet in the cockpit so she was able to send emails and receive etc. while in flight. needed something to do for those long overwater legs i suppose.

and I think that Kenny is talking about his Jeep Cherokee.

ah - Google to the rescue - Carol Ann Garratt

WELL it looks like there are a few Ham Operators here any way. My Call sign is N3XBN. Haven't been on the radio in about 5 years so maybe we can start something.
Dave G.

As long as it's a somewhat discrete repeater in the region, I don't see why it wouldn't work. 146.94 would not be a viable option! Getting into those on the lower 145.xx range may be the better choices. Of course, the goal is to get back only one signal when you key.

If it's a route you fly often, you could join the group and get access. If it's a one-time need, most groups are gracious enough to get you access then allow you to dial the number.

[/quote]Secondly, how, pray tell, how do you have a laptop with Internet access set up in the Cherokee? Is it a connection you can actually use while in flight, or is it a WiFi rig for outside the FBO?[/quote]
Oops! I hadn't realized the error of my ways. I should have typed out "Grand Cherokee"... as in a Jeep. It would be neat to have internet access while in the air, however. I'm sure there are a few who do... such as Bill Gates. My apologies for the confusion.

Edit: You're not laughing at my Jeep, are ya? :eek: I'm hurt!

:goofy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: You're not laughing at my Jeep, are ya? :eek: I'm hurt!

:goofy:

I'm not. I drive a '99 Wrangler every day. Kenwood TM-G707A dual bander mounted in it, to boot. And a mount on the right rear corner for monoband whips when I drop the TS-440SAT and a 100 amp/hr gell cell in it for HF mobile.

Oh, and here's a link to a guy that has HF through 70 cm in his C-182. http://www.omen.com/f/avradio.html Catch the picture of his underbelly antenna farm. :D

Ghery, N6TPT
(and that call's not all that new, I've had it for 19 years)

The locals here on 2m have been around for what seems like forever. I'm turning 50 next month and most of the regular rush hour crowd is the same age, heck we started the local club to keep a repeater up and running. I don't think we even have the autopatch feature online.

N3DLM

William, you could setup your own Echolink node. It might actually be fun if we could get a bunch of POA people doing it. I keep trying to convince Spike that it would be a good father/son thing with Tommy.
I hear what you are saying about ham radio. Can't argue with it either.

I am K9PO first licensed in 1978 and have been active on all bands between 80m and 2.4GHz. Lately my interest has run toward the VHF area of weak signal work. Specifically satellites and meteor scatter. But I do a bit of terrestrial weak signal work.

I also have an echolink set up. If you want you can just load the client onto your computer, hook up a microphone and start using my node. My node hooks up to a local FM repeater. I use it when I travel to talk to friends in the area but it is an open link with no password.

As for antennas for HF. I used a tuned random wire when I lived in an apartment. I earned my WAS on CW that way using 80 watts. Voice is always harder as it is a less efficient means of comms. I also was playing around with QRP rigs and built a couple of little guys plus own a real nice COTS rig from Yeasu for that mode.

I know 5 WPM in CW is slow - but I just could never copy it very well. I tried several times in the 80's and gave up. I should give it a go again...

I know 5 WPM in CW is slow - but I just could never copy it very well. I tried several times in the 80's and gave up. I should give it a go again...

Especially since CW is no longer required. Just written exams. Go for it!

I used the tapes to pass the 5wpm test and some ole DOS program to get me up to about 18wpm. I figured 13wpm for the General license was good enough.

A few of the guys at my work have a repeater network set up out here in CA. It's actually pretty cool now that the code requirement has gone away in that folks now refer to you as "Oooh a CODE ham".

I'm just now getting rid of my HF gear on ebay. I just don't have the time, even though I miss the late night DX on 20/40 Meters.

So 3 35 question knowledge tests and you're an "Amateur Extra" now? Wow...
I think it is 2-35 question tests and 1-50 question one. But yeah :( The bar has been lowered. I really would have thought it better to keep the 5wpm code for the Extras. Just to keep the bar from dragging in the mud. But if you listen to 75meter phone you will see what lowering the bar has done for ham radio. It just let the 'kids' in. By kids I do not mean those that are young, just those that are immature.

I think it is 2-35 question tests and 1-50 question one. But yeah :( The bar has been lowered. I really would have thought it better to keep the 5wpm code for the Extras. Just to keep the bar from dragging in the mud. But if you listen to 75meter phone you will see what lowering the bar has done for ham radio. It just let the 'kids' in. By kids I do not mean those that are young, just those that are immature.
Ugh, I never did mind the CW requirement - I just didn't have the discipline to master it (even at a slowly 5 WPM) well enough to ever pass the test...

I found a local club - and they're meeting next week. I'm going to drop in on them and see what's up around here. Maybe I'll buy new study materials and try to take the Tech test.

Ugh, I never did mind the CW requirement - I just didn't have the discipline to master it (even at a slowly 5 WPM) well enough to ever pass the test...

I found a local club - and they're meeting next week. I'm going to drop in on them and see what's up around here. Maybe I'll buy new study materials and try to take the Tech test.
Good luck to you. There can be a lot fo fun on ham radio. Just watch out for the pitfalls. Getting the 2m-FM HT and then finding out that talking local is not all that fun is one of the many traps. The Technician license allows you operate all kinds of cool modes. On VHF weak signal there are some cool things to do. Many people think that VHF = line of site therefore no DX. But I differ. I have worked 22 countries above 400MHz. I have 46 states worked at 144MHz. There is lots to do and it takes a real knowledge of propagation, antennas and selecting the best mode to accomplish. CW is but one mode, knowing it fun but it is not the end all and be all of ham radio. I am glad they took it out for some of the licenses. I just wish they left it for Extras

The first radio I bought out of the Navy in 1983 was a Yaesu 2M FM/SSB. I hadn't planned to jump into sideband but began playing with it while driving home at night. During the drive from St. Louis to 30 mile south, making contacts with neighboring states of Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota became very common. That was from the truck so I decided to see what I could do from a beam.

I bought the ARRL Antenna Book and selected a 15' beam built from PVC pipe, aluminum rods and solid wire, 6 gauge I believe. It looked beautiful to me. I put it up on top of the house with a rotor a buddy gave me. In all, its height was around fifty feet. I gained only a couple more states with the beam but I had fun building that beam and trying.

That's what ham radio is all about. It sounds a lot like a very involved pilot, eh?

Oh, something else I recall. On those nights I was headed home after 3AM, a couple times a week I would have a conversation on 2M with W0NJB while he was also headed home. He just happen to be Jim White, the night talk show on KMOX-AM in St. Louis. He's long retired and living in Florida I believe. He also introduced me to someone who became my wife. I'll forgive him for that act. :)

75 meters (and 10 meters during a sunspot peak) have had their share of bad actors for years. Eliminating the CW requirement didn't really have an effect as it didn't keep out the riff-raff before. The key thing we have to do is properly mentor new hams as they come along. Got some great teenagers on the bands in Olympia. They've been taught well.

The Elmer who mentored me had an HF setup (complete with a beam and tower, and a 1KW amplifier) in his office in Washington, DC. One day, I went to visit him there. The first contact he made that day was an aeronautical mobile somewhere in Canada, then someone in Norway. Wow!

I didn't get my license right away, but in college, I got around to it. Worked my way up from Novice to General to Advanced. I used to be pretty active (DX was my thing). I haven't been active since my kids were born (17 years ago), but someday I hope to get back into it. Now that I'm a pilot, I'd love to try the aeronautical mobile thing.

Having learned Morse code for the ham ticket sure makes identifying navaids easy.

de Eric, KC3PL
________
vapir oxygen

Last edited:
Having learned Morse code for the ham ticket sure makes identifying navaids easy.

de Eric, KC3PL

Just had that discussion with my CFII this evening. He was commenting on the waste of time learning the code for identifying navaids and I commented that I'm an Extra class ham. Don't use CW routinely, but identifying a navaid is simple. Although the ADF in the 182 has really weak reception and I could barely pull out the ID on an NDB that we were practically on top of. Guess that's one more thing to write up on the plane.

Back