Halfway there...

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
I wasn't sure if I should post anything just yet, but I guess I kinda did already on the Red Board, so I might as well say it here too. I did the IR oral this morning just as the snow arrived. It almost didn't happen at all because I didn't have my FTN number with me. No, I didn't forget it -- the DPE asked me to email it to him, so I assumed that's the last time I'd need it. Worse, I didn't know that I'd have to log into my IACRA account right there to sign it electronically. I have literally dozens of usernames and passwords all over the net and don't remember them all -- usually I have no need to, since I let my computer store them and only access them from home. So I had to call FAA tech support and ask for my username so I could reset my password. VERY embarrassing, and the DPE was clearly displeased. :redface:

After that, the oral itself was almost a breeze. Questions about currency requirements, my personal minimums regarding icing, weather sources, a series of questions related to my XC flight plan including a lost comms arrival/approach scenario where the only approach with low enough minimums to get in for sure was an ILS to a downwind runway with a direct 15G22KT tailwind. The alternative was a nonprecision approach to the opposite direction runway with an MDA right at the bases and barely (if that) adequate visibility, and since the runway was easily long enough to get the airplane stopped with the tailwind, I picked the ILS, which the DPE agreed was the better choice. Then a few questions on low enroute chart symbols, and we were done.

Next step is the flight test, scheduled tentatively for Friday but who knows... with my luck, I will be glad if I can do it before the end of next week. It might come to that since the DPE is backed up very badly because he had to cancel several rides in the past few days due to wx.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure if I should post anything just yet, but I guess I kinda did already on the Red Board, so I might as well say it here too.

Sorry for the ignorance. I'm new here. What is "the Red Board?"

Good luck, Liz... I hope we will have something to celebrate at our lunch in Muncie on the 13th! :D I know what you're going through with the weather decisions... I got my PP certificate in January and instrument rating in March. Here in Illinois. :rolleyes2:

Thanks guys. We'll see. The DPE and I agreed to check again at 9am tomorrow and decide then. Right now it looks very doubtful. :(

KPTK 272322Z 2800/2824 30004KT P6SM BKN180
FM281600 20005KT 6SM -SN OVC090
FM282000 18005KT 4SM -SN OVC022

And ... ???
Wx has started to go downhill here, but if they got out early enough ... maybe?

And ... ???
Wx has started to go downhill here, but if they got out early enough ... maybe?
Nope, didn't happen. :(

We are now scheduled for Monday at 10am. Last I checked, there are no forecast wx systems for the Sun-Mon time frame so the only issue there will be low clouds (hopefully). However, I had my airplane out and ready to go hoping the DPE might be done early with his first finish-up ride and we could still get mine done today. No such luck, and it got bad enough quick enough that I couldn't even take the bird up to get the oil warm. By the time I had it put away, there was a thick coating of wet snow on all surfaces and it was starting to ice up in the hangar. So I spent an hour trying to wipe it all off to no avail, and managed to get some of it into the flap tracks and rollers. I'm not sure now that the plane is going to be airworthy by Monday without some help from someone with a good heat source. A heat lamp would work, but I threw out my dad's when I was cleaning out his things. :(

Right now I really wish I had a heated hangar... :(

Last edited:
Good luck! I flew late morning today into PTK from YIP and it was 1 3/4 mile visibility. Flew a couple of approaches taking advantage of the low vis conditions. By the time I got back (2:30p), it was 10+ vis all around.

I was with one of the local DPEs. Who are you using?

Good luck Liz. That would be a nice New Year's eve "present" to yourself if it happens. Maybe you need to run by Home Depot or Lowe's and buy one of those kerosene tube heaters. I don't think they are too expensive and have been thinking about getting one. It is hard on the instruments to spool up when it is really cold and the heater might help. I think if the tube heater was set up aimed towards the airplane, it might work pretty well. You do have to have electricity available, though.

Last edited:
Thanks, it would be nice. It probably won't happen though. The forecast winds at 3000 according to ADDS are going to be hellish on Monday, nearly 50 kts. That will mean lots of turbulence and probably even bad winds at the surface, despite the wintry low insolation level.

As far as heat, some of the airport guys were recommending a salamander heater, but as best I can tell, those are VERY expensive (think 1 AMU or more). I have electricity, but the electric kind are even MORE expensive. I think a $200 kerosene forced-air heater might be best, something light enough that I can carry it to fill the tank. Home Depot carries them and there is a Home Depot right across the street from the airport. I might look into that tomorrow. This winter is fixing to be really brutal around here.

Good luck! I flew late morning today into PTK from YIP and it was 1 3/4 mile visibility. Flew a couple of approaches taking advantage of the low vis conditions. By the time I got back (2:30p), it was 10+ vis all around.

I was with one of the local DPEs. Who are you using?
Yeah, I left the airport about 2:30 and noticed it had nearly cleared up. I almost called the DPE back to see if he could still do it today, then I called some of the local AWOSes and realized that there were still patches of snow in quite a few places. Selfridge was IFR even as late as 6pm, and PTK has gone back IFR as of 15 minutes ago. I think my DPE managed to take care of one candidate this morning, but overall it hasn't been a good day to fly around here.

Just curious: were you with this DPE as a CFI, or were you doing a checkride?

Good luck Liz. That would be a nice New Year's eve "present" to yourself if it happens. Maybe you need to run by Home Depot or Lowe's and buy one of those kerosene tube heaters. I don't think they are too expensive and have been thinking about getting one. It is hard on the instruments to spool up when it is really cold and the heater might help. I think if the tube heater was set up aimed towards the airplane, it might work pretty well. You do have to have electricity available, though.

Since you need electric power anyway, just use a cheap electric heater for the cockpit. Kerosene heaters will stink up the cockpit and would likely leave an oily film if used very often. A propane fired heater doesn't smell but any combustion heater will put out a lot of moisture which can't be good.

I'll offer "good luck" on the weather for Monday but not for the ride itself as I'm sure you'll do fine without resorting to luck.
Sunday is supposed to be nice but cold here and chances are that will be your weather on Monday.

BTW, you're not halfway there, considering the time you've put into your training I'd say it's more like 98%.

Last edited:
Since you need electric power anyway, just use a cheap electric heater for the cockpit. Kerosene heaters will stink up the cockpit and would likely leave an oily film if used very often. A propane fired heater doesn't smell but any combustion heater will put out a lot of moisture which can't be good.
What I REALLY need is something to raise the temperature inside the hangar to about 15C for a few hours to dry out all the moving parts. You're right, the H20 vapor from a combustion heater is something to consider. But there don't seem to be any electric heaters available with that kind of power for less than $1000, and those require 240V or even 480V.

I don't think you could get an electric heater that would do the job. The combustion heater may put out a little soot, but I think it would heat up the entire airplane and maybe even raise the temp in the hangar pretty quickly. It won't be in the cockpit, but out in the hangar. You likely won't be using it often enough to really be a problem. And, you could get a 1 gallon gas can and just carry the Kerosene to the hangar in that. There may be a similar heater powered by propane which would burn cleaner.

I just checked. Home Depot has a propane forced air heater for $99. It says it heats up to 1,500 SF. That may be the ticket. I wouldn't be concerned at all about soot or H2O off something like that in a hangar. Maybe in a house, but not a hangar.

I just checked. Home Depot has a propane forced air heater for $99. It says it heats up to 1,500 SF. That may be the ticket. I wouldn't be concerned at all about soot or H2O off something like that in a hangar. Maybe in a house, but not a hangar.
You don't get any soot from those - I have one I've been running in my garage. It will raise the temperature a bit in a closed, uninsulated, building. It may or may not be allowed under the rules at your airport.

But, I suspect by Monday or so most of what was left on the airplane will likely have sublimated. Sunday is supposed to be partly cloudy - a little sun should get the hangar above freezing.

This one?

http://www.homedepot.com/Heating-Ve...Id=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UN5evnRVGEA

oops... you said forced air, not convection. Well then I don't know. The only $99 forced air propane heater I saw at HD wasn't advertised to heat more than 1000 SF.

Thanks Stacey. As far as I can tell, forced air propane heaters are just not available locally from either Home Depot or Lowes. If I want forced air I have to go with kerosene; if I want propane I have to go with convection. Unless I want to pay big $$ for more heater than I need.

We have something similar to this at our hangar... A nicer one I got on sale when a contractor returned it to Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/DuraHeat-DFA1...56756547&sr=1-27&keywords=Kerosene+forced+air

Often equipment rental places will have similar for cheap daily rent. You'll just have to fuel it.

Ours will run on Kerosene, Jet-A (expensive kerosene ha), and diesel. It's a tad smellier and sootier on diesel but with ULSD diesel now, not a big deal.

I've only run it once on diesel since I had a large stockpile of kerosene from someone who was getting rid of it.

It's my own little turbine. ;)

Does require a pretty hefty 110V current draw to spin up and light off the turbine so a big inverter on a vehicle or generator capable of big draw at in-rush/startup is required. Once it's running it draws very little electrical power.

Other than the fact that I couldn't direct a stream of hot air where I want it, is there any disadvantage to a convection heater? Or would I be better off getting the $200 forced air kerosene kind? As I said, forced air propane heaters don't seem to be available around here at the moment, and I can't wait weeks for stores to get them back in stock.

Other than the fact that I couldn't direct a stream of hot air where I want it, is there any disadvantage to a convection heater? Or would I be better off getting the $200 forced air kerosene kind? As I said, forced air propane heaters don't seem to be available around here at the moment, and I can't wait weeks for stores to get them back in stock.

Straight convection probaby does a better job of heating your ceiling. With a blower, at least the air gets mixed up so you can get some heat down where your airplane is...

I think I would go ahead with a Kerosene heater. It is simpler to refuel than propane. I really don't think it will be all that bad with regard to fumes/soot. It is more expensive, though, and may be harder to keep it clean enough to light off from year to year. I have never had one, so am not sure. Propane burns pretty clean. I grew up with it.

I think a convection heater in an drafty hangar probably wouldn't do a very good job. You need something that can direct the heated air towards your airplane.

Thanks everyone. My mechanic today let me borrow his (one of several) kerosene forced air heater for a while to see how I like it. His is 100k BTU/h, so I'll have a basis for comparison. I don't mind the kerosene smell too much, and yes it is simpler to refuel, being available at some gas stations. My only complaint so far is that his heater shoots flames momentarily every few seconds. I usually sump my tanks inside the hangar where it's not so brutally cold and I'll probably have to stop doing that for now. Mech says that's not normal behavior for kerosene heaters, but his always does it. My first thought was that the thing will blow itself up some day, but apparently it's just a drop or two of excess fuel at a time igniting on the hot cone.

Let us know how it works, Liz. I am seriously considering getting one, although it is not nearly as brutally cold here in Arkansas (across the Mississippi River from Memphis).

Well I don't think the kerosene heater is going to work out. It just doesn't do much to heat the hangar, even after running for a half hour. No point in trying an 80,000 BTU/h anything since this one was 100,000. I could get 125,000 for $400 (kerosene) but that would only be a little better. I'm not willing to pay for the kind of output that it seems it would take -- unless this thing is sick and isn't really giving its rated output.

My checkride finish-up is scheduled for tomorrow but there are two bad things in the forecast: OVC028 (same as today, and it turned out to be more like OVC016 -- had to cancel the mock checkride I had planned with my CFII :(), and strong winds at 3000 MSL. For the last few days they've been forecasting a small area of 50-60 kt winds right over FNT between 12Z and 18Z (my checkride is scheduled for 15Z). As of today it seems that forecast has been downgraded a bit to 35-40 kts spread over most of SE MI. I talked with the DPE and we agreed to put off a final decision until tomorrow morning.

I'm surprised the heater didn't work, but it is good you could borrow one to find out instead of buying. I guess you never know until you try :).

Good luck on getting it done tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Almost 1500z ... sky conditions look good from KPTK to the south, and winds aloft seem to be hovering around 40 ... Hmm ...

The winds aloft were the deciding factor.... no go. :(

Sky conditions weren't too bad even up at FNT -- OVC028 would have been okay, remember that is AGL and Flint is at nearly 800 MSL.

This one was REALLY close for me. I really wanted to do it, but was not comfortable with the idea of trying to do the RNAV 18 @KFNT with the published miss --> hold at POLAR with a 40 knot direct crosswind. A Cherokee 140 pilot dropped in around the time we would have taken off and said the winds at 3000 were closer to 50 kts, out of 250.

That would also have meant some interesting LLWS, even though the airmet for that didn't include us.

Well, at least I might be able to get a mock checkride in before my next chance at the real thing, which will be Thursday.

Good decision, Liz. It is hard to get the hold right (at least for me) in those kinds of winds.

Thanks Stacey. My CFII concurred, in fact he encouraged me to cancel with the DPE yesterday. I wanted to give the forecast every possible chance to revise downward so I waited until morning.

BTW I wasn't so much concerned with getting the hold perfect, but getting blown so far downwind that the DPE would have to bust me for bad judgement for trying to fly IFR in those conditions. That's a lot harder black mark to overcome than a bust for messing up a maneuver, I would think.

Last edited:
I think you're right. The last time I tried a VOR hold (practice) with those kind of winds, it took me three rounds to get it right. I had a 40 degree correction on the outbound leg and had to really work hard to capture the inbound leg before I blew through the course. Getting the inbound time was hard too. I wouldn't want to be in the clouds trying to do that and not run into something or somebody. Good judgment to stay on the ground :).

Just catching up. That heater sounds busted. Our heater shoots a tiny flame when lighting off the turbine and after that never. Heats up a plate of metal that flickers if there are any impurities in the fuel, but there's a sensor for flames. It'll shut itself down if its flaming. Only seen it once while moving it roughly and the fuel sloshing in the tank caused a flame-out.

Back