Had a Bird Strike Today (no damage)

Stingray Don

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Stingray Don
Happened just after rotation. I saw it and just 1/2 a second later *THWAAACK!!*. It was just a small bird and it hit the left strut. Made a trip around the pattern and taxied back to the ramp to inspect the plane. Fortunately, there was no damage other than a little puckering of the left seat. The bird on the other hand did not fare as well - RIP

Make sure you gather the remains and send it in.:(

Can I just tell ya'll I have had quite the streak of bad luck over the past few weeks? Fell down the stairs and broke my toe while scrambling for the basement during a severe tstorm in the middle of the night. Had a flat tire on the highway with no shoulder due to construction. Had a random piece of metal laying against the copper pipe of my home AC unit which corroded a large hole and cost $1200 to run new lines through the house. Got stuck in an elevator for an hour and a half during a power failure. The bird strike this morning.

And now, thanks to 6PC, I find out my yard is infested with spiders!!! I need a vacation...

Glad you and your plane are OK.

Had a couple no damage hits like yours, always forget to report em'

I was taxing from self serve and found these geese just resting on the runway. I ran them off and thankfully did not seem them again. This could be a problem. IMG_2597.JPG

Can I just tell ya'll I have had quite the streak of bad luck over the past few weeks? Fell down the stairs and broke my toe while scrambling for the basement during a severe tstorm in the middle of the night. Had a flat tire on the highway with no shoulder due to construction. Had a random piece of metal laying against the copper pipe of my home AC unit which corroded a large hole and cost $1200 to run new lines through the house. Got stuck in an elevator for an hour and a half during a power failure. The bird strike this morning.

And now, thanks to 6PC, I find out my yard is infested with spiders!!! I need a vacation...

I got zapped by a bunch of fire ants today while looking at an old M20G.

You need a remote beach, flip flops, a cooler of good beer and a hot woman playing in the surf.

I've hit two birds that I know of. Only one just dented the leading edge. I've almost hit, missed by less then a foot, a bald eagle diving into the pond next to my old airport.

I was taxing from self serve and found these geese just resting on the runway. I ran them off and thankfully did not seem them again. This could be a problem. View attachment 46907

Don't let them lay eggs in the spring, you'll regret it!! We had a nesting pair two springs ago and we spent the spring dodging geese sitting on the runway.

I hit birds on a weekly basis. Bloody lumpy stains with feathers stuck in them all over the plane. Really sucks when you smack them on the window.

Years ago we had 7 nesting pairs of Eagles with in 1 mile of OKH. two got hit one summer.

I was run out of the pattern by an eagle last week in Haines. On final, 300 AGL and an eagle cuts in front of me, right to left. I thought, no problem unless he turns. And of course, right on cue, said eagle made a 180. So I made a turn to miss the eagle and ended up making a 360 at 300 feet back to final then landed.

No problem, no danger to passengers or myself. I added power, kept my A/S up. held attitude and made a constant rate turn in a circle, and landed. Only one passenger out of 7 saw what happened, the others did not know until I told them.

We almost had two different bird strike events in the pattern today. They were stupid close, but fortunately missing by a few feet is still a miss. It's been a while since I've had one that close, but it's that time of year.

Too bad we don't have more airports enlisting the help of local kennel clubs, these problems have herding breeds written all over them

dog.png

Or folks getting nuisance permits for their airports, keep your freezers socked and maybe save a life or just a wingtip.

Back