H.R. 3801: Ultralight Aircraft Smuggling Prevention Act of 2012

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
The way this one is written could effect all of us.

http://www.gop.gov/bill/112/2/hr3801

How? All of us who fly "aircraft" are already subject to the underlying law. This just adds ultralight air vehicles to the list of vehicles covered along with "aircraft" and ground vehicles. Essentially, just a technical change to keep those who use ultralights from skating.

It's not the intended consequences it is the unintended consequences that arise form those that would push the limit of the law and spill over to us. Their is a problem with Ultralight Aircraft smuggling and drug running I can only hope this law isnt used in unintended ways.

Anything that cuts down illegal ultralight operations is fine with me. I just don't see where your concern lies.

H.R. 3801 would amend the Tariff Act of 1930 (otherwise known as the Smoot–Hawley Tariff) to include ultralight aircraft under its aviation smuggling provisions and provide for additional criminal punishments for using an ultralight aircraft to transport illegal goods. Under current law, it is a crime for individuals to use aircraft to illegally transport drugs and the maximum penalty carries a $250,000 and a 20-year prison sentence. This legislation would allow the same prosecution for persons smuggling drugs on ultralight aircraft

I'm not seeing a prolem here either, unless there's something hidden in the text of the bill that's not covered in the summary.

Back