Gyrocopter lands on Capital lawn

No clue. Didn't know the background on why they were charging him either. Do ULs not require registration?

I think it was a couple of pounds over the limit, so it needed registration.

Isn't the Part 103 limit 254 lb? If it's over, then the aircraft and pilot need license and registration (I think), that's probably why he faces both charges.

Last edited:
No clue. Didn't know the background on why they were charging him either. Do ULs not require registration?

If they are truly part 103 ULs they dont. The problem is that once you are 1lb too heavy, you now have an unregistered aircraft. For the most part, the FAA doesn't care how people hurt themselves in ultralights, so even if there is an accident, nobody goes after the pilot or owner for flying an unregistered aircraft.

If they are truly part 103 ULs they dont. The problem is that once you are 1lb too heavy, you now have an unregistered aircraft. For the most part, the FAA doesn't care how people hurt themselves in ultralights, so even if there is an accident, nobody goes after the pilot or owner for flying an unregistered aircraft.
So this sounds like a pretty novel prosecution theory. I agree that it would be very difficult or impossible for them to prove that he knowingly and willingly flew without properly registering or without an airman certificate. They'd basically have to prove that he was aware of the exact weight of the aircraft.

So really, he's probably lookong at a max sentence of 3 years (for convictions re airspace violations). And arguably the sentences there ought to run concurrently, in which case you're at a year max. And it's unlikely the judge would give him thr max. So rejecting 10 months isn't so dumb after all.

This article

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ot-faces-possible-4-years-for-buzzing-capitol

says:

>>>

The felony charge stems from the aircraft, which features a 10-gallon fuel tank and which weighed 350 pounds upon seizure, exceeding by nearly 100 pounds and 5 gallons the definition of an “ultralight” vehicle that does not require registration with or a license from the FAA to fly.

<<<

Oh, look how close he came to some of americas most precious landmarks !!!

OMG, he could have left a smudge on the outside of the washington monument had he decided to crash into it !!!

I fly ultralights. Trust me, if you have an ultralight, you know exactly how much it weighs, you know exactly the regs involved in keeping it legal, you know how large your fuel tank is. Staying 100% legal in 103 is very, very tough. It's almost like they designed it that way.

FWIW, I was flat-out told by my local FSDO, in person, that as long as it's a single seater with a five gallon tank and somewhat close to 254LB, keep your mouth shut and enjoy flying.

Last edited:
I fly ultralights. Trust me, if you have an ultralight, you know exactly how much it weighs, you know exactly the regs involved in keeping it legal, you know how large your fuel tank is. Staying 100% legal in 103 is very, very tough. It's almost like they designed it that way.

FWIW, I was flat-out told by my local FSDO, in person, that as long as it's a single seater with a five gallon tank and somewhat close to 254LB, keep your mouth shut and enjoy flying.
This guy seems like a yahoo though, not someone who has ever even heard of an FSDO. From what I understand, he bought the gyrocopter specifically for this little stunt. Besides, all he needs to get off is reasonable doubt that he didn't knowingly and willingly violate pt 103. So if he says I never weighed the thing but I assumed it was legal when I bought it, I didn't know it had to be registered or that I needed a license, that'd be good enough for me to acquit. This is a guy who told his newspaper and others ahead of time about the stunt, I can't think of a reason he would have knowingly and willingly failed to register. If I were a judge, I'd probably issue a directed verdict of acquittal on those two charges unless the prosecution had very strong evidence, eg the former owner telling him "this isn't a legal ultralight, you need to register it and you need a license to fly it and you need to obey part 91.“

What do you think the chances are that the prior owner was flying it legally? Yet somehow I doubt that any of the prior owners are being similarly charged. What about the guy who taught him how to fly it?

Last edited:
Does he have a legal defense fund or a gofundme ?

Plans to plead guilty to felony but sentencing guidelines won't apply.

Federal sentencing guidelines are always just that...guidelines. The judge is not obliged to honor the guidelines nor anything negotiated in "recommendations" as part of a plea bargain.

Yes, a plea bargain. Hughes pled guilty to flying without an airman's certificate.

I didn't know that was a felony.

Yes, a plea bargain. Hughes pled guilty to flying without an airman's certificate.

I didn't know that was a felony.

I'm not sure it's even a misdemeanor, sounds like an administrative infraction. Kinda surprised he got that.

Obviously this was a false flag attempt for stricter regulations. notice there was no n number on his gyro copter.

Too bad he is not black and got caught with drugs.... Obama would have released him by now on time served like the other thousands he let out last month....:rolleyes:.......:mad2::mad:

Only speaking the truth....

Sorry you cannot handle it....

TivYd1U.gif

Just to clarify my thoughts on this matter...

I consider drug dealers and selling narcotics a HUGE threat to America, FAR worse then this guy presented to society......

The gyro guy flat out embarrased the secret service, FAA, DHS, capitol police and other government agencies that get paid VERY well to prevent airspace intrusion, so now they get their pound of flesh at the expense of some old guy who NOT a threat to anyone.....

God help this floundering once great country...:sad::sad::sad:

Just to clarify my thoughts on this matter...

I consider drug dealers and selling narcotics a HUGE threat to America, FAR worse then this guy presented to society......

The gyro guy flat out embarrased the secret service, FAA, DHS, capitol police and other government agencies that get paid VERY well to prevent airspace intrusion, so now they get their pound of flesh at the expense of some old guy who NOT a threat to anyone.....

God help this floundering once great country...:sad::sad::sad:

Doesn't sound like they got **** all out of him.:dunno: He basically ended up with a ticket for driving without a license.

Doesn't sound like they got **** all out of him.:dunno: He basically ended up with a ticket for driving without a license.

According to the article, he may get 10 months in federal pound-me-in-the-*** prison (down from a possible three years). And he'll be a convicted felon the rest of his life. That's hardly a traffic ticket.

And all drug dealers are black, right?

According to Obama and his attorney general, Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson the cops only arrest the black dealers so maybe the statistics are wrong.:dunno:...

But, the fact remains... They just let out of jail around the country thousands of drug dealers, etc etc... And 84% were black... so you do the math...:rolleyes:

The king of bringing politics into a thread and race card playing.

Prosecution conjures up midair hazard story as sentencing approaches.

Even better at the very last sentence of the article...

"... said he plans to challenge South Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz for her 23rd Congressional District seat."

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em? LOL. Wow.

A little gyro copter stunt, get your name on TV...

Even better at the very last sentence of the article...

"... said he plans to challenge South Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz for her 23rd Congressional District seat."

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em? LOL. Wow.

A little gyro copter stunt, get your name on TV...

I guess he felt he needed some criminal street-cred to fit in in congress.

You lose your voting rights as a felon. Doesn't that also include the right to be elected?

Back