Guys, where do you carry your medical cert?

silver-eagle said:
So... If I don't carry the logbook with me, and I get rampchecked, what is the downside of not providing the current log or a copy? Will the FAA give me a deadline for showing up with it or would a copy suffice?
In answer to both Dean's and John's questions, unless you're a student pilot on a solo XC, there is NO downside of not having your logbook with you. The worst they can do is tell you to visit your home FSDO within a few days to have it checked, but unless you give them other reason to dig, they will normally not do that. A copy is not legally valid unless/until you have signed it certifying its accuracy, and does not meet the student solo XC requirements.

Of course, there's nothing LEGALLY wrong with having your log handy for on-the-spot inspection, but carrying it around makes it susceptible to loss or theft (been there -- 1971, car broken into, nav bag stolen with log inside -- good thing I had copies). And there's always the CHANCE that you have made some sort of mistake in logkeeping which the inspector would spot, but which you, too, would spot if you took a day to check it carefully yourself and correct the error before handing it over for inspection (an option you don't have if the log is with you during a ramp check).

Generally speaking, except when needed for training endorsements, there's just no good reason to carry your log around, and a number of reasons it's not a good idea. That's why the ONLY time I carry my log is practical tests or when I'm going for flight training, and even then, it stays at the airport while we fly.

Ok how about this. When working on my IR, my CFII always wants to sign my log entries. Is this required? Because if it is, then I still have to bring my logbook with me almost everytime I fly now.

If the flight time is to be used for any of the required dual (ie: dual Xc, 15 hours real/simulated IFR, etc.....) then his/her signature is required. You could simply leave it in the car (trunk if you have one) if you wanted, then get it from the parking area and have it signed. Or, carry it when on those flights.

I'm still trying to break myself of my student habbit of carrying mine (medical and RRTO lic. also in the logbook case). The Pilot cert. has been in the wallet since the plastic version arrived. The medical has gone back and forth a few times, and will now go permanently into the wallet. It's replaceable, only gotta last me 2 years, and my S.S. card usually lasts longer than that.

Anthony said:
I keep both my license and my medical in a compartment in my flight bag. The only time I need them is when I'm flying and I always take my flight bag.

Ditto. Less likely to lose/damage in a flight bag than in a wallet. And, leave your log book at home unless in training.

ejensen said:
Touele, interesting place to spend three weeks. If you know how to pronounce it you probably know too much.:D I've stopped for gas, convenient location just outside the cls b.

I can pronounce it, and I can tell you where every hotel (2) and every restaurant (5) is located.

The following offered not to be in any way demeaning, denegrating, etc., but merely to highlight a very common misconception. As an example of why not:

mattaxelrod said:
Ron Levy said:
Third, it means your logbook always flies with you, and that's not something you want the inspector to get hold of on a ramp check. QUOTE]

Why? My log book is complete and accurate. What's wrong with having an inspector look at it in the unlikely event of a ramp check?

:confused:

You sure? Side bet?

How many night take-offs, not night landings but specifically night take-offs, did you log in the 90 days prior to your last night flight as PIC with passengers? Check your logbook. I'll bet the answer is zero. I'll bet you had three night landings logged but not three night take-offs logged. The FARs require that you log both (landings and take-offs). If the inspector wants your certificate that would be one coat hook furnished by your logbook.

If an inspector wants your logbook it is time to seek an attorney's help and advice.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Ed Guthrie said:
I can pronounce it, and I can tell you where every hotel (2) and every restaurant (5) is located.

Must have been a long three weeks. Glad you found some pilots to help pass the time.

I check pilot certificates and medicals during ramp inspections some are beat up pretty bad. I suggest using a plastic covering if you take your certificate out unfold it alot (clear 2-inch tapes works fine its flexable). If you fold your medical up and leave it alone it should last 24 months.

Most inspector will not ask to see your logbook unless you insist they look at it. However if you do decide to take it with you make sure it is updated and has all he required signatures, dates, times, bi-annual review, safety pilot endorcements and etc. I would suggest you leave logbook at home in a safe place and have a copy made, carry the copy if you must.

The only time a inspector will want to see you logbook is when something happens and will offically request you provide it for review. However if you have it with you during a ramp inspection and the inspector see's it they may request to see it, why take the risk. Sometimes we forget to log things and being ramped is a bad time to find out.

You can make an appointment with your local FSDO and request a inspector to assist you in making sure you are filling your logbooks out correctly. We have done this during a safety meetings using one pilots logbook as an example. This is a good educational experience for everyone. Its all about education and will earn you a wings award.

Stache

NickDBrennan said:
Ok how about this. When working on my IR, my CFII always wants to sign my log entries. Is this required?
Yes. Reference 14 CFR 61.189(a).

Because if it is, then I still have to bring my logbook with me almost everytime I fly now.
If you're in training, this is true, but you don't have to take it in the plane with you. You can, as T-Bone suggested, leave it in the car or at the departure airport.

T-Bone said:
If the flight time is to be used for any of the required dual (ie: dual Xc, 15 hours real/simulated IFR, etc.....) then his/her signature is required.
While this is true as far as it goes, the requirement for the signature is not limited to training used for certification requirements. "A flight instructor must sign the logbook of each person to whom that instructor has given flight training or ground training." (61.189(a), emphasis added). This is the instructor's obligation, not the trainee's, so as a trainee, you do not have the option to skip the signature of the instructor just because you're not using the training for Part 61 purposes -- the FAA will hold the instructor responsible if the s/he doesn't sign your log.

Back