Gust Front!

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Wheeee! Springtime in the Rockies!

That trapped Low created a gust front. Winds ahead of it are clocked at 55 already.

99b6405dd26f80b3018e8a1787d95a3c.jpg

2d7a97ce3a5d036003f225cf99ab6a5d.jpg

Fought this last Sunday trying to depart ABQ. Predicted 50mph winds between 2 and 3:00. Thought I would be able to get out a little after 1:00. Winds came early and we gusting to 50 knots for hours. Finally departed aroun 6:00 with a direct crosswind gusting to 40. Didn’t really want to taxi in much over 40, although the plane (Columbia 400) felt stable the whole time. Don’t think I have ever crabbed so much immediately after liftoff before.

Not if you are trying to fly in it :(

Even the airlines aren’t that crazy. There’s zero traffic under the overcast on the south side of town as this wave rolls over. They’re either staying high and slam dunking through a small portion of it into DEN or they’re all holding somewhere. Ha. I haven’t looked at radar but it’s eerily quiet under this thing, traffic wise.

Couldn’t look at radar but LiveATC of the tower indicated there was a ground delay during United’s noon push. They’re launching stuff as fast as they can now off of 25 and 34R now that the front has passed. It’s a nicely organized zoo.

Hearing a new phrase I haven’t heard before... makes sense but it’s interesting...

“Expect RNAV after departure, fly runway heading, cleared for takeoff.”

What if stay on the windward side and run parallel? :goofy:

Heh. That actually works fine. Even the downwind side fat enough away is fine.

That line of flights stacked on top of each other on Clark’s radar shot were all doing exactly that.

That thing blew through and tossed stuff around at various friend’s places and all were surprised by it. 30 minutes after those screenshots, it was sunny and calm.

Nifty little weather thing to watch brewing, then boom, then done. Over a pretty large area. :)

Back