Gus

Tim

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
50 YEARS AGO

July 17, 1961 — Air Force Capt. Virgil I. Grissom, slender, terse-talking veteran of Korea, was picked today as the astronaut for the United States’ second man-in-space effort Tuesday.

If all goes as planned, the $820-a-month test pilot known as “Gus,” will be shot like a bullet 300 miles southeast over the Atlantic Ocean about 7 a.m.

On the projected flight, the native of Mitchell, Ind., will reach a maximum altitude of 115 miles.

50 YEARS AGO

July 17, 1961 — Air Force Capt. Virgil I. Grissom, slender, terse-talking veteran of Korea, was picked today as the astronaut for the United States’ second man-in-space effort Tuesday.

If all goes as planned, the $820-a-month test pilot known as “Gus,” will be shot like a bullet 300 miles southeast over the Atlantic Ocean about 7 a.m.

On the projected flight, the native of Mitchell, Ind., will reach a maximum altitude of 115 miles.

I remember that.... :)

I was listening to the radio, in TEB cessna dealers line shack.

I remember that flight, and Shephard's before it. Grissom's flight was the summer between 4th and 5th grade for me. Things really picked up in junior high when Gemini was in top gear.

How much was 820 bucks back then. I was 1.

More than I had seen all year. I was line boy for a buck an hour, Two months later I was a Sailor. 65 bucks a month. a 16 oz beer was .25 cents. with the bottle deposit.

And if Grissom hadn't been killed in the AS-204 fire, he might well have been the first human to set foot on the moon.

Back