Guide me through the CFI

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
FOI is done, FIA will be done in a week or two. Then what? Time to start flying/find a CFI? Time to make/buy lesson plans(and which of those should I do)? Prep for the oral?

Unlike other ratings, CFI doesn't seem to have a particularly clear path of progression.

FOI is done, FIA will be done in a week or two. Then what? Time to start flying/find a CFI? Time to make/buy lesson plans(and which of those should I do)? Prep for the oral?

Unlike other ratings, CFI doesn't seem to have a particularly clear path of progression.

I know nothing about this topic but can’t wait to read what the forums have to say about it. Best of luck to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the Thrust Flight 15 day CFI Academy. Worked for me.

Also can self study. Pickup the Flight Instructor PTS for starters.

Next step is to start trying the commercial maneuvers from the right seat. It took me a few hours before the right seat felt right.

Find a CFI. Remember that "just any CFI" can't do this, it has to be someone who has had the certificate for >2 years and has logged some number of hours of dual given or some such*. *(too lazy right now to look up the requirements)

Then... y'know... train for all the Things! In whatever order.

For me, I needed more help with the "flying part" than the "book-learning part", so I started flying with my CFI pretty much right away, once I decided to go for the certificate. The whole "right seat" thing took some getting used to, and I was just way out of practice on all those commercial maneuvers I hadn't done in years. I studied a Gleim book in the off-hours.
I made my own lesson plans -- but I'm the sort who finds that this helps to solidify things in my own brain. Plus I'm already a professional educator so was already practiced at it. So YMMV.
"Prep for the oral" in this case means having ground sessions with your CFI and "pretending they are a student" and practicing your Whiteboard Arts -- this is what the checkride will be like too. So I'd start this as early as possible too.

It's fun!!

I had similar questions and found the same issue, there isn’t a “path” to this cert.

It’s much less about the flying, and mostly about the teaching and delivery. Yes, you have to fly the maneuvers from the right seat to commercial standards, but the real thing you are tested on is how you teach subjects.

The CFI PTS is the starting point. You have to be comfortable with the ability to relate the material outlined in the PTS. While you aren’t expected to memorize everything, you need to know how to organize yourself, prepare a lesson, and deliver.

Focus on this and practice teaching every opportunity you get. Ask existing CFIs if you can help teach a ground lesson. Find another CFI candidate and practice on each other. Practice flying, talking, demonstrating, all at once. Find a non-pilot friend and teach them something (this was really helpful to me)

The FAA handbooks referenced in the PTS (PHAK, AFM) are the place for the technical material. For example, you will be expected to discuss common errors and corrections for maneuvers, and this is taken right from the AFM and referenced in the CFI PTS.

Remember that as a CFI, someone will walk into the school and you will be their first contact with general aviation. They will get in the plane and try to steer it like a car… because that’s what they know. You have to be able to teach this student as well as an experienced pilot.

Unlike other ASA oral prep guides, I didn’t find the CFI one to be very helpful. I found that I was relying more on the Commercial prep guide, and then drilling FOI material based on the PTS.

Enjoy it. It’s a real learning experience.

Your next step to to find a very qualified CFI who is going to mentor you through the process. Passing written tests doesn’t scratch the surface for the study.

Your next step to to find a very qualified CFI who is going to mentor you through the process. Passing written tests doesn’t scratch the surface for the study.

I could not agree with this more!!!

Thanks for the insight! I wasn't sure if I should be doing more on my own before contacting a CFI, but it sounds like that's my next step once I get the written done.

Thanks for the insight! I wasn't sure if I should be doing more on my own before contacting a CFI, but it sounds like that's my next step once I get the written done.
You are going to do a lot more study, so getting into the details of the FAA handbooks and ACs can start now.

Here is a sample, what is a shallow, medium and steep turn and where do you find the definition?

You can pretty much do the whole rating as self study. Teach ground school on people that have zero aviation knowledge and see if they’ll understand the concepts. Also, you don’t have to constantly talk. Sometimes it’s good to shut up:D

You can pretty much do the whole rating as self study. Teach ground school on people that have zero aviation knowledge and see if they’ll understand the concepts. Also, you don’t have to constantly talk. Sometimes it’s good to shut up:D

There are a few things I learned along the way that I carry with me as a CFI. One is that the most effective instructors I've ever met talk the least. If you're a chatty Kathy, especially in the cockpit the student will naturally tune you out.

-Robert

There are a few things I learned along the way that I carry with me as a CFI. One is that the most effective instructors I've ever met talk the least. If you're a chatty Kathy, especially in the cockpit the student will naturally tune you out.

-Robert
Some instructors teach
Some instructors just fly along and keep the student safe while they figure it out.
Some students learn in spite of their instructor.

Even if you buy your lesson plans, make sure you can write them, too. It would be pretty easy for an examiner to require students a lesson plan for something you didn’t get in your commercially-prepared package.

Back