Guess who's a pilot?

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
This morning (Oct 7th), I passed my private checkride. I had 151.7 hours, and that doesn't even include the last prep flight I took last night to get the rust out since I hadn't flown in about 9-10 days. If you're wondering why I had some many hours, search my past threads started to read about my SODA, landing issues, and 4 instructors, etc. Perseverence pays off. So if any of you are struggling, don't doubt yourself, keep at it and you'll make it.

My checkride was scheduled for Sunday (Oct 4th), but the storm that never made it to the Northeast brought crappy weather anyway, 2000' ceilings and 18G29 winds. And I had the flu over the weekend, so it all worked out. I am still recovering but not bad.

I took a plane out last night solo just to go thru the manuevers and do some short and soft landings. This was the first time that I tried the manuevers solo, I always did them with the CFI. It didn't go well. My manuevers sucked. I was afraid to stall the plane. Slow flight and steep turns were a little off but not too much, within PTS. My short field landings have always been on point (I have to concentrate to not land short :rofl:). The soft landings have always been a challenge because to due my vision issue in my left eye, it's a little hard for me to judge height over the runway.

But today, I have to honestly say that the manuevers were on point. Not just within PTS limits, but spot on. The only issue was in slow flight which has typically been my best manuever, I was not keeping enough power and started losing about 50-75' of altitude but I quickly added some power and corrected.

He had me do all the manuevers, then (relatively) a lot of work under the hood (VOR, unusual attitudes, just a lot of turns and descents and climbs to alt and heading) then had me take off the foggles, do S-turns, simulate engine out emergency (which he said I handled very professionally), this isn't required but he had me simulate what I would do if one of my passengers had a medical emergency (very new and he said I did well), then we came back and did 3 landings (normal, soft-which I surprisingly greased :D, and cross-wind; the wind actually kept shifting so the timing was good), a go-around, and a forward slip.

As we were taxing back to the ramp, he extended his hand and said "congratulations pilot". It was a good flight and I actually learned some new things which was pretty cool.

Overall, it was a very relaxed day, even though I have to admit being a little tight at first but the DPE made me feel at ease right away. He gave me his career history and we talked a little about why I'm flight training and that really relaxed me, and the oral went awesome, I answered every single question accurately and completely, except for one about "what's the maximum baggage compartment weight that you can carry in a Cherokee?" I didn't know there is a limit, so I first said as much as you can carry as long as you stay under max TO weight and with the CG within limits. But he said, where could I find the answer, so I looked in the POH and it turns out that there's a 200lb max in the baggage compartment. Who knew.

Last edited:
Dang, I thought I held the record at 101 hours at the PPL checkride.

Congratulations!!!

151 hours and the day before ur check ride is the first time you did maneuvers solo? Well, congrats!!

Holy crap that's a ton of hours. Gratz though....

Congratulations!! I'm trying to get to 125hrs so my Schools insurance will let me checkout in the arrow. You won't have that problem haha!!

I was at about 90 hours spread across 16 years for mine ... sometimes life happens.

All that matters is you got it. Congrats!

A pilot with 151 hours at checkride is still a 151 hour pilot. Doesn't matter.

Congrats. Recover, then go have some fun.

Know what they call a guy who passes a checkride at 151 hrs??

PILOT

Congrats!

Congrats, pilot! Thanks for the writeup.

Dang, I thought I held the record at 101 hours at the PPL checkride.

Congratulations!!!

I was 104.something. Had to keep stopping and restarting due to work getting in the way.

Congratulations Captain! Now get out there and learn

Congrats Pilot :) !. I got mine after about 95 hours in a span of 7 years with breaks in between. Doesn't it feel great?

Congrats.
Can you share the cost break down for getting your PPL?
I'm scared to tally it up.

Written exam = $125
Class III medical exam = $150
Class III medical follow-up visit = $100
Medical tests requested from FAA for my vision issue about $1,500
151 hrs plane rental @ $140/hr = $21,140
125 hrs with CFI @ $50/hr = $6,250
400 landings @ $2.50 = $1,000 (other airports charge more but I did the vast majority at KFRG)
Books/supplies = $200
Headset = $250
Checkride = $500

:yikes::yikes::yikes: Total = just over $31,000 :yikes::yikes::yikes:

WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! :D:yes:

My "graduation" gift for myself will be a new pair of Bose A20's.

Also, I don't know if you would count the drive to and from the airport 1-2x per week @ 65 miles round trip. I think I had about 70 flights total, so ~4500 miles.

CONGRATS, the expense is small considering the privileges you've earned!:)

As we were taxing back to the ramp, he extended his hand and said "congratulations pilot"..

Hopefully you kept your eyes on the taxiway, he should have waited until you parked..

kidding...sarcasm, etc..

Congrats!!

Took my first flight since earning my ticket 3 days ago. Took my wife and youngest (10) daughter from KFRG to KFOK to have breakfast. All went smoothly, and my first time flying into KFOK. My wife had been talking about going up with me for months but when I told her that I passed, she started getting nervous. And today, I took off, turned crosswind and then downwind to depart to the south, and as we're abeam the numbers, she starts crying and saying that she can't do it and has to get down. I'm thinking no way, she won't fly with me (all the plans I had made for us going on trips to new places all went out the window). I'm about to call the tower to request landing when she calmed down and said she was ok, and really calmed down. Have any of you experienced that with a passenger/family member?

Another question... I never got nervous during training whether flying with the CFI or solo, but before today's flight I felt a little uneasy. I think it's probably because now I had my wife and daughter's lives in my hands, not just my own. Have any of you experienced this? I assume it's normal. And I assume it goes away?

Took my first flight since earning my ticket 3 days ago. Took my wife and youngest (10) daughter from KFRG to KFOK to have breakfast. All went smoothly, and my first time flying into KFOK. My wife had been talking about going up with me for months but when I told her that I passed, she started getting nervous. And today, I took off, turned crosswind and then downwind to depart to the south, and as we're abeam the numbers, she starts crying and saying that she can't do it and has to get down. I'm thinking no way, she won't fly with me (all the plans I had made for us going on trips to new places all went out the window). I'm about to call the tower to request landing when she calmed down and said she was ok, and really calmed down. Have any of you experienced that with a passenger/family member?

Another question... I never got nervous during training whether flying with the CFI or solo, but before today's flight I felt a little uneasy. I think it's probably because now I had my wife and daughter's lives in my hands, not just my own. Have any of you experienced this? I assume it's normal. And I assume it goes away?

As far as the passengers go, I haven't had that but I had one that didn't tell me she gets sick just riding as a passenger in a car. Oops. Long time ago. One of my airplane co-owner's wives went up once, screamed the whole time he banked the plane, and never flew again. If your wife calmed down, all good.

As far as being a bit nervous having other's lives in your hands, absolutely happens to most pilots at one point or another. And you should never completely lose that. It'll keep you from making really poor safety decisions later. You are PIC!

Welcome to the club! Congrats!

Back