Guess who had an engine failure...

Didn't he decide to shut down and feather after it started blowing oil out the cowling? Unless I needed every last bit from the dying engine, I would certainly shut down an engine that was puking oil.

Didn't he decide to shut down and feather after it started blowing oil out the cowling? Unless I needed every last bit from the dying engine, I would certainly shut down an engine that was puking oil.
Maybe so. It was puking oil eventually. I honestly didn’t watch it start to finish. But I thought the threshold for when to do a precautionary shutdown was an interesting topic.

My favorite part was when he keyed the mic on final and told tower “I’ve got two red and two white”.

I’m actually surprised his subscriber base is pretty low. When he puts out a video it gets posted e v e r y w h e r e. I woulda thought that would net him quite a few more subs. Imma guess the majority of his subs are non aviation folks.

I don't think Pilots enjoy cringe as much as the general public seems to.

Is he another one of those "social media influencer" type aviation commentators? I've never heard of him before this.

Not having a twin rating, I never thought about this, but is a shutdown warranted for "loss of a cylinder"?
We use that term to mean "poorly or non-functioning cylinder", but with our recips, occasionally a cylinder is indeed lost, or at least detached. That generally will cause the engine to go into auto-shutdown mode.

Is he another one of those "social media influencer" type aviation commentators? I've never heard of him before this.

I think he's just a nut with a camera...but I think in general parlance, yes, he fits into that group.

.. not to necessarily defend him, but if Mr look-at-what-a-bad-pilot-he-is, has engine issues in a twin without dying it sort of pokes a hole in the whole "sEcOnd enGIne TaKEs YoU He SCEnE oF thE CrAsH" cliche

.. not to necessarily defend him, but if Mr look-at-what-a-bad-pilot-he-is, has engine issues in a twin without dying it sort of pokes a hole in the whole "sEcOnd enGIne TaKEs YoU He SCEnE oF thE CrAsH" cliche
Regardless of how much of it was skill, how much was equipment, and how much was luck, this incident makes a strong showing of the non-survivor bias inherent in engine failure statistics. We only know about this successful emergency landing (upright on a runway without so much as a ground loop at the end) because a high-profile YouTuber / POA whipping boy posted a video, which has over 100,000 views so far.

…..We only know about this successful emergency landing (upright on a runway without so much as a ground loop at the end) because a high-profile YouTuber / POA whipping boy posted a video, which has over 100,000 views so far.

maybe there’s a direct relationship between OEI survivability and YouTube views/subscribers. someone should do a study.

"Y'all are so unoriginal and late to the table", said Ford in a deeply corrugated tone...

636110975606519503-Liberty-Ford-Tri-Motor-5AT-003-49599.jpg

Losing an engine on a 421 in cruise unless you've got a really hot day at (or over) gross weight really a non-event. The Twin Cessnas are very docile aircraft to fly, and you've got more than enough power to maintain altitude and have a controlled descent.

Now an engine failure on takeoff in one, that's another story. But that's a bad spot to be in any piston twin (or even many turbines).

Of course, we all know that MU-2s are impossible to fly on one engine. Look how stressed out I am in this picture taken during initial training:

upload_2022-11-22_6-19-11.png

I don't pay attention to the famous YouTube pilots to know much about this guy other than passing POA comments about his idiocy...

But from work experience, I hope he's not in a hurry for a new GTSIO, because good luck.

Back