Guess who closed the airport today?

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
I flew to Destin on Friday, dodged t-storms and showers for most of the way, shot a GPS approach to 600 ft and landed with a 12 gusting to 17 knot crosswind. I figured that was the challenging flight of the weekend. :rolleyes: We had a meeting today about a new restaurant that we are investing in at 1:00 just west of our home, so I figured if we got back to FTY by noon, we could drop the dog off and make it to the meeting. Of course we left a little late, but after spending an hour in the soup and shooting a perfect ILS, well a pretty good ILS, I broke out at 500 feet with the runway dead ahead. :yes: 100 knots across the fence, pull the power back and touch the mains right at the 1000 foot mark.:D Great so far, it's 12:08 and we've still got plenty of time! Until I lowered the nose, then all hell breaks loose!!:hairraise: I knew immediately what it was, I had a flat nose wheel.:mad2: I let it slow down without a lot of braking, called the tower to tell them I was stuck on the runway and shut it down.
There was a Citation waiting to take off and another jet on the approach about 5 miles behind me, we heard them go missed. The FBO sent out the wrong tug at first, a tow bar wasn't going to work, so the guy turned around and got the electric one that lifts the nose wheel. It's painfully slow waiting in the middle of the runway for something that travels at the speed of a mall walker!!:nono:
He finally arrived, we got it loaded and rode with him the the maintenance hangar, where the other lineman picked my wife up with the golf cart to get my truck so we could load all our junk and go. We made it to our meeting 15 minutes late, but at least we had a good story! Time to spare, go by air!
This is my co-pilot waiting on the tow!
And of course the tire itself!

Last edited:
How is it flying with a dog? We have a harness for our 100lb Rhodesian Ridgeback that clips into the seat belt but havent used it yet

I flew to Destin on Friday, dodged t-storms and showers for most of the way, shot a GPS approach to 600 ft and landed with a 12 gusting to 17 knot crosswind. I figured that was the challenging flight of the weekend. :rolleyes: We had a meeting today about a new restaurant that we are investing in at 1:00 just west of our home, so I figured if we got back to FTY by noon, we could drop the dog off and make it to the meeting. Of course we left a little late, but after spending an hour in the soup and shooting a perfect ILS, well a pretty good ILS, I broke out at 500 feet with the runway dead ahead. :yes: 100 knots across the fence, pull the power back and touch the mains right at the 1000 foot mark.:D Great so far, it's 12:08 and we've still got plenty of time! Until I lowered the nose, then all hell breaks loose!!:hairraise: I knew immediately what it was, I had a flat nose wheel.:mad2: I let it slow down without a lot of braking, called the tower to tell them I was stuck on the runway and shut it down.
There was a Citation waiting to take off and another jet on the approach about 5 miles behind me, we heard them go missed. The FBO sent out the wrong tug at first, a tow bar wasn't going to work, so the guy turned around and got the electric one that lifts the nose wheel. It's painfully slow waiting in the middle of the runway for something that travels at the speed of a mall walker!!:nono:
He finally arrived, we got it loaded and rode with him the the maintenance hangar, where the other lineman picked my wife up with the golf cart to get my truck so we could load all our junk and go. We made it to our meeting 15 minutes late, but at least we had a good story! Time to spare, go by air!
This is my co-pilot waiting on the tow!
And of course the tire itself!

Good job Jonh. Glad everything worked out.

How is it flying with a dog? We have a harness for our 100lb Rhodesian Ridgeback that clips into the seat belt but havent used it yet

She goes anywhere "mom" goes, she sleeps in the floor of the plane, I've taken her in the 182 a few times, she's not a comfortable in there, but she will look at the window for a few minutes, then lay down and sleep. :D She really travels well, but all our dogs have always flown with us, they think they've won the doggie lottery when they get to our house! :D

Good job Jonh. Glad everything worked out.

Thanks it was the first time in 31 years and 3000 hours that I've landed with a flat tire. I should consider myself lucky. :D

Was that
CSQ6bFz.png
? :D

I've had to deal with that situation from the other side once before...
hRpPo8I.png

You should have replaced those Firestones a long time ago... ;-)

Great job John.......:thumbsup::thumbsup:...

Hitting the brakes would have just loaded the front wheel even more.... Yoke all the way back and let her roll to a stop.......

What caused the tire to go flat?

Oh, by the way, good job on staying off the brakes.

Well.. If he took off from Jackson Hole.... I know EXACTLY what would have caused the flat..... :redface::(..

I'm missing something. Couldn't you have just taxied off the runway with the flat tire? You already landed with it hitting the pavement at what, 90mph?

I'm glad all went well for you and I'm not really criticizing, I'm just curious. I probably would have just taxied off the runway with a flat and maybe that's really stupid thing to do, so I'm trying to learn something in case it ever happens to me.

I'm missing something. Couldn't you have just taxied off the runway with the flat tire? You already landed with it hitting the pavement at what, 90mph?

I'm glad all went well for you and I'm not really criticizing, I'm just curious. I probably would have just taxied off the runway with a flat and maybe that's really stupid thing to do, so I'm trying to learn something in case it ever happens to me.

I assume it shook pretty damn bad since the landing light is pointed different then where the nose wheel is pointed...:yikes::yikes::hairraise:

709 ride, full medical review(anal probe), FBI investigation, CPB tear apart. :hairraise:

J/K

Nicely done.

Could they still use the other runway or did you stop in the intersection? Glad no one was hurt and not too much metal will need to be unbent.

I am thinking that it might be cheaper to not taxi on the rim even though it has been landed on. It pays to be careful of our expensive airplanes so that you can fit them into the budget.

I tried to steer it towards the taxi way, but it really didn't want to turn. I'm sure if there had been an emergency I could have powered it up and forced it off the runway. But, I didn't want to do any more damage than had already been done. I honestly just wanted to get stopped and see what happened, the vibration was pretty bad! :yikes:

I don't know, I'm hoping the maintenance guys will see something this morning, it was fine when I left Destin, no usual noise or feel on taxi or takeoff. Could have picked up a nail or hit something on the runway on takeoff. It was flat when I landed, so I knew immediately something was wrong. I'm still trying to figure out how to blame my wife. :nono:

It is amazing and funny that dogs always take the left seat. That picture is suitable for framing. Dogs are awesome!

I've taxied clear with a main tire blown but I would think differently of rolling on a flat nose. Too much action on the nose. Never know what could happen. But whatever it could be it wont be good.

After 31 yrs of flying it wasn't luck.... Even if its that tingly sense, it is gotten of experience. The lesson is don't push 'luck' because it aint luck, it is knowledge of what is and is not. And that comes from experience. And for the lesser experienced, no need to reinvent the wheel for there are those who went before us by which we may learn.

I've taxied clear with a main tire blown but I would think differently of rolling on a flat nose. Too much action on the nose. Never know what could happen. But whatever it could be it wont be good.
It definitely gets your attention. When it happened to me my first thought (for a fleeting second) was that I'd suffered a nosegear collapse, but that would have taken a LOT more power to taxi. :D I did manage to taxi it off the runway, but not completely clear. As it turned out there was no discernible damage to the rim.

Fortunately this was not at a towered field.

Good job,you can use the plane again. I had the bearings go on a nose wheel on a twin,causing a flat nose gear tire,there was no taxing .Had to get a tow. Always fun at a towered field. Minutes seem like hours.

Good job. Enough about the tire, let's talk about the P.o.A discount at the restaurant. :)

Something smells fishy here.

OP pilot has a nose flat landing, then claims the DOG is the co-pilot, but IRONICALLY there's photo evidence of same dog in the LEFT seat. I think I can read between the lines and see EXACTLY who was flying and responsible for this flat!:goofy:

Tell your dog he flew a great ILS approach.

I forgot to add my "nice job". I landed a 172 with a flat nose wheel early into my training. Lots of fun.

So do you think Nattie will have to take the 709 ride? I think she'd do OK, she does have a tough time with the rudders! :D

Something smells fishy here.

OP pilot has a nose flat landing, then claims the DOG is the co-pilot, but IRONICALLY there's photo evidence of same dog in the LEFT seat. I think I can read between the lines and see EXACTLY who was flying and responsible for this flat!:goofy:

Tell your dog he flew a great ILS approach.

Well done. I'd do the same, no reason to risk damage to your plane just for someone else's convenience.

I had a flat nosewheel during training. The guys responsible for cleaning up FOD suggested I might have used too much nosewheel braking in the 172.

Did the dog preflight the nose wheel, with his right leg up and missed something?

Last edited:
I am thinking that it might be cheaper to not taxi on the rim even though it has been landed on. It pays to be careful of our expensive airplanes so that you can fit them into the budget.

I'm sure the go-around costs for the jets would have bought a lifetime supply of wheels and tires.

However, the world doesn't work that way. It's like avoiding a small fender-bender accident in ice at an intersection where someone else is clearly at fault, you can avoid it, but you clearly will or think you might do one-vehicle damage (IE: guardrail, tear up some bush/lawn, hit a sign). You're best off hitting the guy, for that way your liability-only coverage vehicle will be replaced, even though it's not the best overall economic solution.

Last edited:
Getting that thing off the runway with a flat nose wheel isn't going to happen any way other than how the OP did it.

I'm sure the go-around costs for the jets would have bought a lifetime supply of wheels and tires.

However, the world doesn't work that way. It's like avoiding a small fender-bender accident in ice at an intersection where someone else is clearly at fault, you can avoid it, but you clearly will or think you might do one-vehicle damage (IE: guardrail, tear up some bush/lawn, hit a sign). You're best off hitting the guy, for that way your liability-only coverage vehicle will be replaced, even though it's not the best overall economic solution.

Saving fuel for the other guys in the pattern isn't a consideration. The pilot of the plane stuck on the runway has a responsibility to his own owner, not the others'.

I'm missing something. Couldn't you have just taxied off the runway with the flat tire?

Good luck with just taxiing with a flat tire... :D Why I know that?? Don't ask... ;):rolleyes:

I had a flat tire once while taxiing - we were stranded like a whale on the beach immediately. Happened at KVNY. The Citations loved the little stranded C172 on the taxiway... :yikes::hairraise::redface:

Well, I was glad the flat tire happened while I was taxiing and not on the landing itself. Don't know what would have happened if it had been at a higher speed. Therefore: Great job! :yesnod:

Nice co-pilot = dog. :yesnod:

Last edited:
So do you think Nattie will have to take the 709 ride? I think she'd do OK, she does have a tough time with the rudders! :D

No 709 for dogs ... they're like politicians, they NEVER get in trouble!:D
That's why dogs like twins, they use differential power to turn:lol:

Don't let them fly anything with a castoring nose wheel or they'll chase their tail ;)

Good luck with just taxiing with a flat tire... :D Why I know that?? Don't ask... ;):rolleyes:

Well, I was glad the flat tire happened while I was taxiing and not on the landing itself. Don't know what would have happened if it had been at a higher speed. Therefore: Great job! :yesnod:

I've landed on a flat main - not a big problem, it'll pull harder to that side ... have never had the nose wheel flat.

She'll be relieved, she's been worrying about the 709 ride all week! :hairraise:

No 709 for dogs ... they're like politicians, they NEVER get in trouble!:D
That's why dogs like twins, they use differential power to turn:lol:

Don't let them fly anything with a castoring nose wheel or they'll chase their tail ;)

I've landed on a flat main - not a big problem, it'll pull harder to that side ... have never had the nose wheel flat.

Back