GTX-345 with internal GPS

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
This only applies to GTX-345 (and 335) with internal GPS, there is no way to ween these off the external GPS antenna. This might not seem like a big deal but if you ever intend to install a WAAS GPS navigator down the road like a GNS, GTN, etc you will still need to install another GPS antenna, or install a splitter ($$$ and not Garmin approved), or swap it for one that has no internal GPS module.

Right now software is set up in these such that the GPS module in them must be operating or you will get a constant "Service Soon" message, even tho none of the two possible GPS source options have to be set to the internal GPS module. In other words it can be configured in a way that the internal GPS is NOT used to transmit ADS-B out but it still needs to be hooked to GPS antenna...

I think Stratus ESG has an optional GPS antenna splitter written and approved in their STC, even if splitting a primary WAAS navigator antenna signal.

Last edited:
Our flying club just had this realization. We though the 345 was it. But we are going to add a GPS WAAS nav later, when funds allow. (My friend withe nicely equipped rv8 grins sheepishly)

However, wehaven't verified this. I'd be interested to hear it kicked about.

Don

Last edited:
I have a 530W and debating the ADS-B solution. Looks like the 335 sans internal GPS for Out paired with one of these for $149 for In on my iPad.
http://www.uavionix.com/products/pingbuddy/

Or I just get it over with and spring for the 345 and display the info on the GNS...proving once again there's no problem or dilemma in aviation that can't be solved by facing toward Olathe, Kansas and throwing money in that direction. :rolleyes:

I have a 530W and debating the ADS-B solution. Looks like the 335 sans internal GPS for Out paired with one of these for $149 for In on my iPad.
http://www.uavionix.com/products/pingbuddy/

Or I just get it over with and spring for the 345 and display the info on the GNS...proving once again there's no problem or dilemma in aviation that can't be solved by facing toward Olathe, Kansas and throwing money in that direction. :rolleyes:
I just did the 345 with my 530W in my 182 and I really like it, the traffic was the main reason I did it and it works beautifully!

I just did the 345 with my 530W in my 182 and I really like it, the traffic was the main reason I did it and it works beautifully!

Appreciate the post. It's not cheap, so I am treading carefully and assessing options and the value from each. Any other insights regarding your combo equally appreciated if you might share.

I find it wonky that a guy can't move the gps antenna coax from the GTX-3X5 to a WAAS navigator later down the road, and feed the GTX-3X5 data from that navigator. It actually operates fine but that "service soon" message will display every flight. There's no sense in punching another hole in the airplane and adding another antenna if you don't have to.

This was confirmed by two Garmin reps.

Again this only applies to GTX-3X5 with the internal GPS module.

For the experimental amature built airplane crowd,

Assuming you have the GTX-3X5 and later installed a WAAS navigator and wire the navigator to feed data to the transponder you could connect any gps antenna that operates on 4.5 volts to the GTX and trick the gps module into being happy. Or just live with the "service soon" message.

I find it wonky that a guy can't move the gps antenna coax from the GTX-3X5 to a WAAS navigator later down the road, and feed the GTX-3X5 data from that navigator. It actually operates fine but that "service soon" message will display every flight. There's no sense in punching another hole in the airplane and adding another antenna if you don't have to.

This was confirmed by two Garmin reps.

Again this only applies to GTX-3X5 with the internal GPS module.

I thought you were installing a GTN-650 with the GTX-345, and therefore wouldn't need the internal GPS?

I thought you were installing a GTN-650 with the GTX-345, and therefore wouldn't need the internal GPS?

Isn't about me. Dad will need ADS-B out, my brother, and a whole bunch of people who won't have a WAAS navigator at that time.

Each WAAS antenna is $370 minimum just for parts with cable... Then tack on installation labor.

Last edited:
Appreciate the post. It's not cheap, so I am treading carefully and assessing options and the value from each. Any other insights regarding your combo equally appreciated if you might share.
I did it because my son flies this airplane and as a dad, I couldn't let him fly without traffic installed in the cockpit. :) I am one of the Garmin lemmings, that like Garmin stuff and that's pretty much all I buy. If you aren't hung up on a particular manufacturer, look around there are some good options out there. :D

I talked to my avionics shop today who states that according to talks with Garmin, the latest software version for the 345 should "fix" this issue...or at least allow such a situation.

I talked to my avionics shop today who states that according to talks with Garmin, the latest software version for the 345 should "fix" this issue...or at least allow such a situation.

Hopefully that's the case. Neither of the two garmin reps hinted about it when I ask for clarity last week.

I fly with steam gauges and no IFR GPS (but I do have a old Garmin panel VFR GPS). I recently installed a GTX345 for 2020 compliance and it is just great when using it with an iPad. It is going to be awhile, if ever before I install an IFR GPS. However, does anyone have any insight as to whether it might be possible for the 345, which has an internal WAAS GPS, to be certified as a position source in conjunction with for ILS approaches that require an ADF and DME in lieu of these devices?

... However, does anyone have any insight as to whether it might be possible for the 345, which has an internal WAAS GPS, to be certified as a position source in conjunction with for ILS approaches that require an ADF and DME in lieu of these devices?

Almost certainly not. That's what the GTN-650 is for. I doubt if Garmin makes a GTN-650 that doesn't include its own WAAS GPS, but I could be wrong about that.

Back