GTX 330ES FAIL Message

Mark Cooper

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MCooper
I flew down to Tennessee this weekend from SNC in Connecticut and was 4 hours into the flight and on final at TYS when my 330ES went into FAIL mode. The tower controller let me know he had lost my ADSB on final. On my way back, about 4.5 hours into the flight the same thing happened transitioning through NY. I cycled power and it would come back on for a minute then go back into FAIL mode. The unit has done this a few times before. My avionics shop looked at it last month and couldn't replicate the issue or find any potential problems. Im beginning to wonder if it's not heat related. It's never happened on short less than one hour flights. Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem? The unit is paired with a GNS530W and works perfect other than these intermittent FAIL issues. The software versions on both the 330ES and 530W are current.
1707263880643.png

I had issues with mine....but it was the altitude encoder. I replaced that and the fault was fixed. But I didn't get this message. What does your flightaware path look like?

Ok....I looked at your last two flights for N210SP on flightaware. Something is up with the data. It has noise in it compared with older flights. Both altitude and speed have noise and are not smooth. Not sure if this is the encoder or your transponder.

You can also pull a PAPR report to see which data in the ADS-B stream is error'd..... https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

Last edited:
The maintenance manual pdf can be found online, and it has troubleshooting along with explanations of error messages.

Not sure if this one is what you’re after:

1707274834999.png

Thank you guys for the ideas. I was not aware of the PAPR request. Very cool. Looks like the only two exceptions are Balt and Galt. The balance of the report was good. I'm starting to suspect it's my altitude encoder. Unit passed Altimeter and Transponder check 15 months ago but looks like I need to get it in again now.
1707572743260.png

Also - Flight down to KTYS looked good. No issues.
1707574001852.png

Back