GTN650 not seeing GTX345?

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
A friend just had a GTX345 added to his plane. It already had a GTN650. I've only been able to poke at it briefly on the ground but I couldn't find any indication that the GTN650 is aware of the GTX345. I had thought that if nothing else, it would show up under External LRUs, but nothing is listed there.

I'm trying to understand if something is wrong or if I just don't understand how it works.
Am I wrong to expect it to be listed under External LRUs?
Is a connection between the 650 and 345 not part of the default installation?

Look in the flight manual for GTN and GTX supplements and read them, they might contain clues about if they are wired together or not. Assuming they were installed using Garmin STC.

Pull the airplane outdoors and turn everything on and go to the traffic page on the GTN, if there is nothing working then I'd call the shop.

My GTN shows the GTX on the LRU page. It's also configured to remote control the GTX.

My WAG is that something isn't configured correctly

Last edited:
Sounds like another case of an avionics installation not being completed. The shop should RTFM and check it out before returning it to the customer.

Thanks for the comments. I looked through the manuals and can't find anything that I should be doing as a user. It seems like it should "just work". But it doesn't. The traffic button on the 650 was grayed out. I wasn't sure if that was an installation issue or because I was in a hangar not getting any signals. I can try it on a test flight and see if it works then.

Assuming I'm correct that it is supposed to be connected, I can't understand how someone could install it and not check that it is actually connected.

Thanks for the comments. I looked through the manuals and can't find anything that I should be doing as a user. It seems like it should "just work". But it doesn't. The traffic button on the 650 was grayed out. I wasn't sure if that was an installation issue or because I was in a hangar not getting any signals. I can try it on a test flight and see if it works then.

Assuming I'm correct that it is supposed to be connected, I can't understand how someone could install it and not check that it is actually connected.

If it is a 345 the traffic button should not be grayed out. It can't be configured correctly. I'll admit that i put mine in and took me about 8 hours to get setup since the manuals I had weren't very good. I think current revisions are a lot easier to follow. At the time the GTX3X5 series was released nothing in the GTN series manuals was written to interface them.

Last edited:
Well that's discouraging.
I did notice that the shop didn't update the GTN software. It is still version 5.13 (which may be from before the 345 was released), instead of the current 6.something. Could that be the problem?

Certainly could be part of it. My GTN shipped to me December so v6.xx ircc

OK. Thanks for your help. It's sounding like for one reason or another it probably needs to go back to a shop. The owner used a shop 200+ miles away : (

Our 650 repeats the 345 squawk code on the nav display, and of course shows traffic.

Sounds like installation problem to me. I just had both 650 and 345 installed and it all works together fine. Not sure the version i have, but will check.
Only issue with 650 I've had is getting WX (altimeter setting, etc) while on the ground. Worked fine for about three weeks, then quit. Have to get in the air (or possibly wait 15+ mins on ground) for it to pick up.

Back