GTN650 Install: Anyone Done one recently?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
If you've done a GTN650 install recently, please share what your costs of install were.

Our club is beginning to investigate an upgrade to the Bonanza and I'd like some other installation results to compare to the quotes we are receiving.

Thanks!!

If you've done a GTN650 install recently, please share what your costs of install were.

Our club is beginning to investigate an upgrade to the Bonanza and I'd like some other installation results to compare to the quotes we are receiving.

Thanks!!

You would be better off collecting email addresses of potential shops and sending them an email for a quote such as:

I would greatly appreciate an itemized(ish) qoute for an avionics upgrade to a 1977 Cessna 177B. There are 7 pictures attached and hope they all go thru.

#1 - Removing the #1 ARC-300 nav/com tray and antennas and replacing it with a GNC-430W. Removing the old VOR indicator and replacing it with the Garmin one. Installing wiring provisions for the ADS-B out since no ADS-B transponder is installed.
#2 - May need to move the #2 nav/com or raise the PM6000 audio panel to make room for the GNC-430W. Re-install the MX300 in the #2 tray. If moving the PM6000 tray, it should also be moved aft so the radio is more flush with the other radios in the stack.

#3 - The existing PM-6000M-C audio panel “soft mute” feature needs and external switch wired to 2 pins on the connector. This was not completed when it was initially installed.
#4 - Alter the avionics buss to install a Master Avionics power switch. Options to include adding it to an existing electroluminscent panel or place in an ulighted location such as outboard of the pitch trim wheel.
#5 - Remove the existing ARC ADF radio rack, indicator, wiring including coax and antennas. Transfer the air cooling hose to the GNC-430W.
#6 - Fresh FAR 91.411 & 91.413 inspections.
Aircraft Equipment notes:
·1977 Cessna 177B.
·12 volts.
·All circuit breakers. Has an avionics buss drop-out relay to be eliminated by #4.
·Dual ARC-300 Nav/Com trays. (one has an MX-300 in it)
·Existing ARC ADF and indicator
·Existing PS Engineering PM-6000M-C with the marker beacon hooked up.
·No electronic forced air cooling provisions are installed for radios. Only equipped with a single NACA scoop on the left side of the fuselage that is routed only to the old ARC ADF tray. This should be re-routed to the new GNC-430W.
·Existing ARC 200 Autopilot (powers up and flies nice right standard rate turn but autopilot is not functioning as it should).
·Existing AT-150 transponder and encoder and an AK-450 ELT.
Thankyou!

PS, I've noticed quoutes all over the place. One being less than half of the highest.

My club replaced a GNS-430 with a GTN-650 and the total labor cost was $1000.

Six months later we replaced a KLN-94 with a GTN-650 and that cost us $3700 due to the additional radio work and indicator installation.

The amount of work required for your particular install will have a huge impact. Different shops will quote you vastly different prices as well. If a particular shop already has a steady supply of work on larger planes, they may not really want your business. Shops sometimes mark up their pricing figuring that they will at least make a good margin off of you to make up for the cramped working conditions behind the panel of your Bonanza.

I recommend searching around and getting feedback from others in your area (like you are doing here). Good luck and enjoy your new toys!

Prices are mixed, I would recommend getting a "quote" vs an estimate. Make sure that the quote is all inclusive, any additional time and material is the shop's problem, not your's. Shops will give you a bid, estimate, whatever you want to call it, then in many shops the price can go up 5-10% or more before it rolls out the hangar door.
Brian has a good idea with his email, be specific and don't ASSUME anything. If I ever have another large avionics install done, the shop will have 24-48 hours to examine the airplane and then give me a signed quote for all work, prior to the work beginning. ;)

If I ever have another large avionics install done, the shop will have 24-48 hours to examine the airplane and then give me a signed quote for all work, prior to the work beginning. ;)

This is a good idea. Thanks!!

Back