GTN 750 upgrade to GTN 750 xi?

Kynadog

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kynadog
Has anyone made this upgrade? If so, I’m curious to hear what you think.

I don’t have any of those units, but it sounds like you already have the itch. Regardless of what is said here, you’re probably going to ruminate about the idea until your wife doesn’t want to hear about it anymore. So, just skip to the end, buy one, and tell us how great it is!

Aviator305, how did you know my wife is sick of hearing about it? Do you have my house bugged or something?!

PS I don't post here much, but I visit all the time just to feel validated. "Yes, there are other people in the world like me," I tell myself as I peruse the pilot forums. And when she protests the idea of a relatively modest expenditure, all I have to do is come here and show her, "but look at what this guy did to his plane!"

I replaced my 750 and 650 with Xi units. They are great. They boot nearly instantly, the screen is nicer, and the touch interface (smoothness in panning/zoom/etc) is much better. However, right now there is no strong compelling reason to upgrade, as there is no functionality differential (other than speed and pixels) vs the older units, but I'm sure something will come down the pipe soon that will be Xi only. I did the upgrade now, because I felt that I would eventually want to do the upgrade and the cost to do it now is likely the lowest it'll be (resale on the original GTNs will go down over time and cost of Xi will go up overtime as Garmin products do).

I did 750 Xi, coming from 480 i have no frame of reference about how diff it is from 750, but i echo what @Ryan Klems mentioned. boot is nearly instantaneous, the screen is awesome with almost zero lag. flightcharts are useful and can be read pretty easily - that is one thing i had heard that in the older unit it wasnt much useful.

having said all that i still miss a few features of 480

For example...???

the dedicated Nav page. i know its a moot point with 2 G5's, but when the DPE fails both G5's i could have used the dedicated nav page on the 480 .. lol
Localizer alive audio call out

not specific to 480, but my previous 480+ GMX 200 painted the whole ILS with a really nice depiction (the pink area) and on the airport runway info page, the runways would change orientation as your position changes. loved that feature too.

i am just picking nits... still emotionally attached to 480 :p

Back