GTN 750 and GNS 430W

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I currently have a 430W in the airplane and am planning to install a newer GPS, most likely a 750. I had originally been planning to remove the 430W and install a GNC255A as NAV/COM2 - but, my A&P suggested keeping the 430W as #2. I plan to fly worldwide with this setup and redundancy when away from maintenance support could be useful. The cost difference, once install cost of the 255A is considered, is not much.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how GTN and GNS series navigators play together? I understand that active flight plans will cross fill but not sure what else works. Would I be able to get weather/traffic data to both of them from the GTX345, for example?
The rest of the setup will be an STEC-30 (already installed), GMA340 (already installed) GTX345, and dual G5s, most likely. Also a JPI-730 that currently feeds fuel info to the 430W.

I'd keep the 430W as your #2. It gives you a second GPS, and I don't think there's anything the 255A can do that the 430W can't.

I don't have experience with the 750/430W combo, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a document from Garmin outlining how they work together. As far as getting traffic/weather data to both the 750 and 430W, ask your installer - I think it's possible, and I know it's possible for the 345 to output that information to both the 750 and the 430W individually, I'm just not sure if it supports both at the same time (ie dual outputs from 345). I think it is possible, but again, check with your installer as they'll have to wire it up anyway.

There are some limitations to what the 430W can display from the 345 - For example, I think only 8 traffic targets are possible on the 430.

BTW, I would highly recommend the FlightStream 510 be added to your setup - It makes updating databases on the GTN a breeze.

You'd be crazy to ditch a 430w for a simple radio.

I'd imagine it's the same protocol between birth of them, all else fails don't use cross fill and you're still ahead of just having the 750 and a simple 255

Especially if you're flying international and are relying on these things vs just VFR burger hopping.

I don't have experience with the 750/430W combo, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a document from Garmin outlining how they work together.

I’ve seen it too and can’t remember where. Process of elimination tells me if it wasn’t online, it may be in the GTN manual.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how GTN and GNS series navigators play together? I understand that active flight plans will cross fill but not sure what else works. Would I be able to get weather/traffic data to both of them from the GTX345, for example?

I’ve seen it too and can’t remember where. Process of elimination tells me if it wasn’t online, it may be in the GTN manual.

@Katamarino, did you ever find anything out from your avionics installer as to how the combo setup would work?

I did just search my GTN manual for "GNS" to get an idea of how they'd work together. Here's a few tidbits:

1) You can set up auto-crossfill of flight plans, though it sounds like this only goes from the GTN to the GNS and not the other way around. But that's OK, who wants to be spinning knobs anyway?
2) You can manually send user waypoints in either direction.

I also looked in the GTX345 install manual, and while it shows both dual GTN and dual GNS installations, it didn't have a diagram for a mixed GTN/GNS installation. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but definitely ask your installer about that.

I didn't get anything back yet apart from the information that they crossfill GTN to GNS. I'll definitely ask about the 345, thanks all!

Thanks for looking in your manual @flyingcheesehead — mine is at the hangar at the moment and I did that icky “go to work” thing all week this week. I knew I saw something in there. :)

Thanks for looking in your manual @flyingcheesehead — mine is at the hangar at the moment and I did that icky “go to work” thing all week this week. I knew I saw something in there. :)

Interesting possibility. I’m trying to decide similar things with my upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have PDFs of all my manuals so that they're always at hand. Garmin is very good about making those available.

Back