GTN 650xi Cooling Fan Failure warning

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
I was doing the warm up on a club plane on Saturday when this message popped up on the 650 xi; "Cooling Fan Failure".

Canceled the plan and returned to the ramp. Later, the maintenance guy in our club said it was a false warning caused by a software glitch.

Anyone have experience with this error message?

Not yet. In fact, I just had a 650xi installed and was doing some button pushing in the hangar while connected to alternate power source. After about 30 mins the fan kicked on, and had no issues.

From my experience with old Garmin avionics, cooling fan problems may occur only after 10 years of equipment use.

Depending on working conditions, the moment of fan failure can be shifted by several years.

I cleaned GTN 750 which was installed in Mi-17 helicopter, which was operated in Afghanistan few years (extremely high temperature, constant presence of fine dust and sand in cabin). And I was surprised by GTN’ fan quality - it worked fine without any objections on my test bench.

The only thing fans are not immune to is mechanical impact (for aircraft with lack of free space behind instrument panel and a lot of unbonded wires).

In case of real GTN failure it can be easily replaced by yourself.

Attachments

• Page from GTN Xi Maintenance Manual.jpg
    Page from GTN Xi Maintenance Manual.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back