Gtn 650 nav package suite

drmax

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
drmax
Just about finished with my glass cockpit upgrade and need to start thinking about what software Package to purchase. I'll need the monthly ndb updates, just unsure what else. 650 coupled to g3x touch. I'm an infrequent flier, just starting my IFR training in my rv9a. I've will not keep a constant update with the terrain database. Maybe once a year on that. (I also use ifly 720) so any recommendations, or best bang for the buck opinions, or what is a "must have" with this setup. Thx dm

Last edited:
Must have would depend on your intended flying. For VFR you can go without updates other than the current charts provided by the ifly. For instrument training you may do the same unless you intend to go in actual during training. For IFR use you will want a current navdata in the GTN650 which is most economically done with an annual subscription for your area (i.e. East Central, etc).

Must have would depend on your intended flying. For VFR you can go without updates other than the current charts provided by the ifly. For instrument training you may do the same unless you intend to go in actual during training. For IFR use you will want a current navdata in the GTN650 which is most economically done with an annual subscription for your area (i.e. East Central, etc).
Should not have typed using my iphone. I left out "IFR" in my message. Maybe that clears up my question. Uh, yes I know I'll get an annual script. There is just a lot of bells and whistles I won't need. The unit will come with the latest moving map, I was told and 30 days of vfr and ifr charts. I will want to keep at a min, the nave data base up to date. I won't want to afford the jepp ifr charts for the 650. That'll take me from a $500 area to closer to 1K. I'm training in my plane, and a weekend flier and a few trips a year, long x-country. I don't have the xm module so not concerned about that weather. I do have adsb, in and out, coupled to my ifly.

I could talk to a garmin rep, but thought I ask someone who was not out for my money! Looking here https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing/ I see $585 should do it. If I wanted more, I jump to 900-1100. Good god, they got us by the short hairs!

I'm now wondering if safe taxi is even unlocked off the get-go. Pretty sure terrain/obstacle and other moving map stuff....is.

Last edited:
I put a GTN650 in our RV-9A along with an Aera 560 and GDL39 for ads-b.
We only intend to get the basic East Central navdata (around $500 annually I believe) when we use it IFR regularly. It is being used for instrument training currently. We just completed a trip TN - TX - LA - TN. Ads-b worked perfectly the whole trip. I personally do not see a need to update the terrain - ever. I think the navdata is all you need.

I put a GTN650 in our RV-9A along with an Aera 560 and GDL39 for ads-b.
We only intend to get the basic East Central navdata (around $500 annually I believe) when we use it IFR regularly. It is being used for instrument training currently. We just completed a trip TN - TX - LA - TN. Ads-b worked perfectly the whole trip. I personally do not see a need to update the terrain - ever. I think the navdata is all you need.
Oh, very nice! The gdl39 both in AND out? That's why I'm using my ifly with the skyquard wtx box. Has both, with ahrs.

I think obstacle should be updated sometime. What about the new tower they just put up that you just flew into....EEKS! Not sure which update would cover that. Doubt it being terrain.

uh yeah. Obstacle a separate fee. Damn. I also see updates for my g3x touch. I'll have to sit down and sort through this, and determine what I need to keep up to date.

Oh, very nice! The gdl39 both in AND out? That's why I'm using my ifly with the skyquard wtx box. Has both, with ahrs.

I think obstacle should be updated sometime. What about the new tower they just put up that you just flew into....EEKS! Not sure which update would cover that. Doubt it being terrain.
No out for us, just in; still worked great.

I am not too familiar with the ifly, maybe it has obstacle warnings? Regardless, good IFR technique should prevent flying into a tower; guess it cannot hurt to have additional warning capability.

The only good thing about the Garmin pricing is you can buy a bundle and cover multiple units. I pay $1100.00 for my 650/750 and G600, I don't have charts on the G600, but I get approach plates on the 750. Not cheap, but not terrible either. :rolleyes:

I could talk to a garmin rep, but thought I ask someone who was not out for my money! Looking here https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing/ I see $585 should do it. If I wanted more, I jump to 900-1100. Good god, they got us by the short hairs!

I'm now wondering if safe taxi is even unlocked off the get-go. Pretty sure terrain/obstacle and other moving map stuff....is.

Most folks with something like the 650 keep only the nav data current. They'll update the obstruction database, too, if they are using it as a required TAWS unit (which you probably aren't), but otherwise, most folks don't bother with that. If you're flying IFR and adhering to the published procedures and ATC clearances, obstructions should already be taken care of, and you have your current sectional chart for visual flying.

I've always been a believer that if you're going to run a piece of equipment that has databases, you should keep them ALL current.

The terrain doesn't even have to be updated all that often, I forget the duration.

Also how are you depicting this data, for the money you spent on the GTN I hope you have a HSI or PFD.

Do you know anyone who has a 650? Might be able to borrow ther download. I've...heard... of folks doing that with the GNS units :wink2:

Garmin figured out the "borrowing" angle with the GTN series, they are serial number specific.:nono: Or so I'm told, I haven't tried to share any of mine.:D

I've always been a believer that if you're going to run a piece of equipment that has databases, you should keep them ALL current.

The terrain doesn't even have to be updated all that often, I forget the duration.

Also how are you depicting this data, for the money you spent on the GTN I hope you have a HSI or PFD.

Do you know anyone who has a 650? Might be able to borrow ther download. I've...heard... of folks doing that with the GNS units :wink2:

Garmin figured out the "borrowing" angle with the GTN series, they are serial number specific.:nono: Or so I'm told, I haven't tried to share any of mine.:D

Well that sucks.

Well that sucks.

Yeah, when I had a 530w in my 421 and a 430w in my 182, I would update the 530 and put the latest expired card in the 430.:D If I needed the latest database in the 182, I could just swap cards!:D

Back