Grumman AA-1x Pre Buy Houston Tx

TopGun68

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sam
Hey guys,
Like the title says, I'm looking for suggestions on a Grumman AA-1 series pre buy inspection. I'm looking at two planes in the Houston area, an AA-1A and an AA-1B, and I'd prefer to get a pre buy by a Grumman experienced A&P. I've done some googling, looks like Fletchair is just outside San Antonio but I haven't given them a call to see if they pre buys yet. Haven't found any other info yet, so any leads would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Fletchair's pre-buy is a full annual inspection. I think there is a former Fletchair mechanic who stayed in Houston, but don't recall name or where he works out of. The flight school at TME has an AA-1; might ask them. One of the clubs at Pearland has a Grumman too I think. The guy at Hill Country Aviation at Sunrise Beach is a Grumman guru , but that is about as far away as Fletchair.

Not sure if they are still there, but try David or Robert at Clems Aviation Maintenance, they were in hangar 23 at Hooks (KDWH). Ph 281-370-8558. They were savvy with Grummans, did all the maintenance on ours for years when we owned it.

If you want to move up to the AA-5 it has time life items.
Service life limited parts must be retired in accordance with the following schedule:

Component Part Number Service Life (Hours)
Inboard Spar Assembly 5102310-501 12,000
Wing Spar Assembly (Standard) 5201002-501 12,500
Wing Spar Assembly (Optional) 5201004-501 12,500
Wing Outboard Spar Assembly 5201189-501 12,500
Shoulder Bolt 901044-2,-3 7,250

Air Professionals at Pearland has reasonable experience with Grumman series.

Not sure if they are still there, but try David or Robert at Clems Aviation Maintenance, they were in hangar 23 at Hooks (KDWH). Ph 281-370-8558. They were savvy with Grummans, did all the maintenance on ours for years when we owned it.
Yep, still there; I think David is still plugging along, and while Robert passed away roughly 2 years ago, his son RW is now running the shop. Good dudes… they did a cylinder change on my RV awhile back, she’s running fine!

Back