GRT Synthetic vision approach

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Interesting video of the GRT EFIS with synthetic vision on an approach. I've been instructing with this little box in a Jabiru Light Sport and it's pretty amazing technology for a few thousand bucks (if you're experimental.)

This is common in the world of experimantal avionics. This functionality is present is one form or another in all the major vendor's (GRT, Dynon, AFS, and Garmin) EFIS offerings.

This is common in the world of experimantal avionics. This functionality is present is one form or another in all the major vendor's (GRT, Dynon, AFS, and Garmin) EFIS offerings.

Yep, I know....and at a fraction of the cost of anything going into certified aircraft. It's a shame the certification process can't be more streamlined for retrofitting the certified fleet.

Pretty cool. THat screen is "Busy!" Nice vid

I thought the six-pack panel was pretty busy at first. But the more you fly with this the more your brain filters out the extraneous and focuses on what's necessary at that particular moment.

Very nice presentation. I've been flying with the GRTs for a year and half now and love it.

KHWO is interesting. I always wondered about the relatively short parallel runways and how they came about. Then I ran across this image from Flying Magazine in Feb 1954. If you compare this to a more current image, you can clearly see the history.
http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7235433&nseq=0

Attachments

• KHWO from Feb 1954 Flying.jpg
    KHWO from Feb 1954 Flying.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 156
Very nice presentation. I've been flying with the GRTs for a year and half now and love it.

KHWO is interesting. I always wondered about the relatively short parallel runways and how they came about. Then I ran across this image from Flying Magazine in Feb 1954. If you compare this to a more current image, you can clearly see the history.
http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7235433&nseq=0
That is a cool pic. I have never seen a wagon wheel airport. You can still see in the current pic where the old runways where.

Very interesting setup, for both the airport and the glass, thanks for posting.

Pretty cool. THat screen is "Busy!" Nice vid

There's a lot going on for sure. You also have to make some decisions up front about what you want displayed and not. For example, the "HITS boxes" that are displayed here, I have turned off for regular instrument approaches. That removes a lot of the busy movement to my eyes.

It's funny how the extraneous detail disappears with familiarity and the important stuff sticks out.

I remember some writer talking about their introduction to a DC3 cockpit:

"If it's not shiny, don't touch it."

Cool...there is a neat little game involving this technology. It's on the App Store. It is called HGSFlight.

need the synthetic vision for all that terrain in SFL??

I kid I kid! I live a couple of miles from HWO. I love that airport!

Back