GRT HX Horizon Help

I have a GRT HX in my Lancair. It has been reliable. There have been times it seemed to take too long to boot up, but once booted up it has provided a reliable attitude solution at all times. I had one flight through significant turbulence and the Garmin G5 lost attitude but the HX continued to function properly.

The GRT flight plan entry is quite poor in my view. I've tried to understand and use it, but gave up and don't use that functionality.

The GRT plays well with many outside products. It is very customizable in terms of setting up port functions.

The GRT will continue to provide an accurate attitude solution even with loss of pitot, GPS and magnetometer data; this is likely the main advantage GRT has over the other alternatives.

4. The previous partial install had 3 wires for each magnetometer, which by the manual, seems to indicate that it was digital. Analog should be 6 wire, I believe. I just need to confirm I have digital units and matched units. The brand new units on the GRT site are 100% different part numbers, and look different too. I realize things change over the years.

5. EIS input is just one wire on the OUTPUT to the HX? Do I need an OUTPUT from the HX to the EIS?

6. Any thoughts on the older HX systems? Good / Bad / Indifferent?

Thanks,

I had dual HXr's so there may be some differences.

4) I started out with the Dual AHRS and upgraded to the Adaptive AHRS. On those, three wires is digital magnetometer. Six is analog.

5) Two wires between the EIS and HX. Transmit and receive.

6) I haven't heard any complaints. There are a bunch of them out there.

I strongly suggest talking to GRT. They're a small shop so it may take longer but they know their systems.

You will get your answers from GRT - I suggest being patient and not fretting too much.

I flew with 3 HX displays, the dual AHRS and 2 mango meters since 2011. Upgraded one display to HXr which is fantastic but all screens do all functions without a hitch. Totally plug compatible

Synthetic vision was just a software upgrade back around 2009. Once I did a standard software upgrade on my not yet flying system, I suddenly could see thru my hangar walls. A great moment. I’m sure you have it (dont’ know about the HX sport however).

I use a g430 as the WAAS brain on my installation and use it for flight plan input which is lousy with the GRT. But I fly the plane (AP, approaches, etc) entirely on the HX. Just seems logical. Just replaced G430 with the Avidyne plug compatible replacement. Note that if you flying IFR, you need a certified WAAS brain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone know anything about the ethernet link between GRT HX screens? I am getting an error that says inter-display comminications failure. The ethernet port lights do not light up either.... just a thought.

The Ethernet connection requires a non-GRT hub of some sort. I’m a thousand miles away from my plane and doc but I have a small Ethernet hub, low-$$, that all 3 units plug into and share data. The synching works like a charm and you definitely want it. Simple to setup and forget.

My systems are of same vintage as yours and I’m pretty sure you have synthetic vision on them.

On all questions, I suggest contacting them by phone. Never got any quick turnaround on emails and such. But I do remember getting some settings help with the engine running at a nearby airport before an IMC departure so there’s that (that was a long time ago and that guy is not longer there).

Generally speaking, you will want to get a set of installation manuals (all online) and probably go thru the settings line by line so you understand how things work, what can be configured, etc.

Don’t know if you are VFR or IFR. If you want IFR you need a certified ‘brain’. I used a G430 and just recently replaced it with Avidyne’s plug compatible. That takes over all flight plan setup operations (which the GRT does not shine at). But the GRT plan setup works too. You just use one or the other, not both.

Not sure what you are doing but if you want the best GRT setup consider swapping out a HX for the bigger HXr. They are absolutely plug compatible but the HXr is not only bigger screen and higher res, but it’s designed to function as a single screen EFIS, Engine Monitor, everything without requiring screen switching. My current setup is an HXr in front of pilot, and HX in the middle that I dedicate to engine monitoring (but is a complete backup for the HXr) and an HX in front of the co-pilot giving that position full function or whatever is desired. My original setup was 3 HXunits and that works just as well. I think that’s equivalent to your 2 HXs assuming number 2 isn’t too far away to see and use.

Good luck. I’ve had one HX failure in 10 years and 1300 hours.

Did you have Synthetic vision? (Have you done any approaches with it?)

Did the inter system Ethernet connection work for you?

Just curious…

Yes, everything worked great. It requires a crossover cable, not a straight cable, hence my original problem, despite it came from GRT with the straight cable. Synthetic vision is awesome. I wasnt a believer in GRT at first, but now, I cannot imagine anything much better for the money. The have the BEST support ever, I cannot explain that any clearer or more passionately, and the product is solid. The approaches are very slick. I love it.
I've flown with a GRT HXr system since 2014, and continue to love it. Glad you got everything squared away!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Yes, everything worked great. It requires a crossover cable, not a straight cable, hence my original problem, despite it came from GRT with the straight cable. Synthetic vision is awesome. I wasnt a believer in GRT at first, but now, I cannot imagine anything much better for the money. The have the BEST support ever, I cannot explain that any clearer or more passionately, and the product is solid. The approaches are very slick. I love it.

I think I understand the need for a crossover cable. In my case with 3 HX systems, I needed 3 straight cables connected to an Ethernet hub. Same difference.

Glad to hear it. I love my GRT and the support (on the very few occassions when needed).

Back