GRT (Grand Rapids) Avionics?

hamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hamer
Anyone have experience with them? Specifically the Sport SX? What engine did you run?

I installed a GRT Horizon HX in my Lancair around 4 years ago. It has been rock solid reliable. I like it.

What specifically are you looking for? The engine is monitored by a separate box (EIS) and displayed on the EFIS.

I have a pair of HXr's. Engine is a Continental IO550.

2EAABB68-3132-4BDD-8B9E-BCF9638BA579.jpeg Just installed a Sport SX plus EIS engine monitor this year. Engine is an O320 E2D. Absolutely love it/them. My SX is the larger 8.4” screen. Best bang for the buck IMHO. I especially like that it plays nice with products from other vendors.

Sport SX is a legacy , obsolete product, if anything go for the newer Sport EX.

Here is the relevant quote from a GRT guy..

The Sport SX was released in 2010, concerns of it being long in the tooth are valid to an extent. We do actively support all of our products as long as we can. I have the grey hair to prove it from maintaining products through parts going obsolete. The SX is still a good choice for upgrade from a Sport HS because of the simplicity of upgrading. The SX isn't getting any younger. The EX is a new design having been released in 2016. Given all things equal or close to equal, I would recommend the EX. In most cases, things are not equal and are in favor of the EX.

Mine are more than enough for day VFR flight. Mode S traffic display, XM weather, GPS or VOR nav, etc

Thanks everyone. I’m buying a kit from someone who is almost complete with the build. He has the GRT in it with an O235. Wiring still needs to be completed. I was just trying to decide if I should run it or switch to the tempting G3X.

I have a Sport SX, 8.4" screen. It's a fantastic unit, just the right size as it doesn't overwhelm the panel. I really like the clean graphics and fonts.
Purchase date for me was in 2014; were I to do it again, I'd still go GRT but a newer model, most likely the EX.

My engine's an IO-320-D1A.

IMG_2042.jpg

Looked at them for my build. Also looked at Dynon. Went with the G3X. No regrets. Would I scrap a GRT that’s already included in a purchase? That’s a tough call.

We are excitedly waiting for our GRT Sport EX. :goofy:Currently no PIREP related to experience with it.

I installed 3 HXs and an EIS back in 2009-10 and it’s been flying since 2011. Up to 1100 hours now.

The EIS is a hardware box and seemingly bullet proof. It’s flexible and in wide use. It’s a fine solution for any engine from all I’ve experienced and heard.

No experience with the Sport units. My HXs have had a glitch here and there but I’ve found them rock solid. I have lots of IFR time on them. Get the latest iteration of what’s available to you.

In particular, the engine monitoring capabilities as collected by the EIS and displayed and controlled by the HX are everything I can imagine with lots of LOP features if desired.

GRT service and support has been small company fantastic.

Garmin is always going to cost more in acquisition and maintenance from what I’ve been told.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys. I will give GRT a call Monday and see how I feel about them. Maybe they’ll let me trade the unit in. It’s still brand new.

GRT is a great company that makes a solid product. They really have some nice features that the others don't and at a lower cost. What you give up to Dynon and Garmin is graphics quality and the industrial design is a little lacking.

Slightly OT question: I assume all EFIS units include a Flight Path Marker (FPM) as part of their PFD display. Do people use it as much as I do?

It’s become my go-to bit of display instrumentation for IFR work but also for establishing a VFR heading and sometimes pitch trim with a minimal glance at that panel. Especially useful in high wind conditions.

I ask this because I haven’t flown behind anything or with anyone other than the GRTs in my plane for sometime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What you give up to Dynon and Garmin is graphics quality...

And that's pretty subjective. I prefer the clean and simple approach that GRT takes. To me, it's a less cluttered look.

And that's pretty subjective. I prefer the clean and simple approach that GRT takes. To me, it's a less cluttered look.
I wasn't talking about the design, more the crispness of the graphics and how smoothly the items on the screen move. They are a little behind the main players but at their price point that can be forgiven.

I called GRT today, very friendly. I think the Sport SX that's currently in there will be perfect for my uses. I'm not going to complicate things and just stick with what's in there and try to get this bird in the air ASAP.

Anyone care to share wiring diagrams from their installs? Just want to start wrapping my head around all this.

I'd go to the GRT website under support and look at the main pin-out diagram to get a sense of what's involved. Your basic power, ground, and four or five serial ports to communicate with various devices like EIS for engine monitoring, autopilot, transponder, comm (if desired), ADS-B, external GPS, etc. Other inputs for fuel sensors, outside air temp. The support section has a lot of good info!!

Back