GRR and vicinity GA scene?

Todd82

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd
There is a possibility I may be relocating to the Grand Rapids area in the next several months. Any local POA-ers? What is the GA scene like up there? Clubs? Frequent fly-ins? Good GA airports? Hangar space? Being in the Dayton region currently it's easy to take for granted what all we have here that doesn't always exist elsewhere (except hangars if you're south of town). Appreciate any info thanks.

Which part of GRR area are you looking at?
Hastings (where I'm based) has Thornapple Flying Club if you're on the SE side. NW side is Sparta. Pretty sure they have a club, but not entirely sure. @Huckster79 is at 6D6 on the NE side and is in a club there. There's also at least 1 or 2 clubs at GRR but not sure if they have room for more. Last I knew, 1 was a 10 person deal, but my IA does the mx on the plane so I can ask him.

Plenty of GA airports. 8D4 6D6 9D9 08C Z98 Y70 24C are all super close. Plenty of airports with restaurants to fly to. OEB JXN RNP 61D HTL, free ice cream at Clare. And you can always go to Beaver or Mackinac Island and back ina day.

Hangar space is pretty much balanced. Not sure there are major waiting lists anywhere. At 9D9 we have no planes tied down, but we may be exactly full. I'll check to see what we have.

Which part of GRR area are you looking at?
Hastings (where I'm based) has Thornapple Flying Club if you're on the SE side. NW side is Sparta. Pretty sure they have a club, but not entirely sure. @Huckster79 is at 6D6 on the NE side and is in a club there. There's also at least 1 or 2 clubs at GRR but not sure if they have room for more. Last I knew, 1 was a 10 person deal, but my IA does the mx on the plane so I can ask him.

Plenty of GA airports. 8D4 6D6 9D9 08C Z98 Y70 24C are all super close. Plenty of airports with restaurants to fly to. OEB JXN RNP 61D HTL, free ice cream at Clare. And you can always go to Beaver or Mackinac Island and back ina day.

Hangar space is pretty much balanced. Not sure there are major waiting lists anywhere. At 9D9 we have no planes tied down, but we may be exactly full. I'll check to see what we have.
Thank you for the info. If this happens the job we'd be relocating for is very near GRR airport so we'd be somewhere over in that general area. I haven't dug deeply enough into this yet for neighborhoods and so forth, had to scout out the flying first that's the most important right? :)

Thank you for the info. If this happens the job we'd be relocating for is very near GRR airport so we'd be somewhere over in that general area. I haven't dug deeply enough into this yet for neighborhoods and so forth, had to scout out the flying first that's the most important right? :)

Well, then you'll be within spittin' distance. I probably know the company.

I don't live up there any more, but my sister is in Zeeland and Ottawa Executive, Z98, I know has a club and rental situation with a handful of types. Lavion Aero.

I don't live up there any more, but my sister is in Zeeland and Ottawa Executive, Z98, I know has a club and rental situation with a handful of types. Lavion Aero.

That's where I got my private and know a few people that live/base at Z98 - but different FBO/rental outfit back then.

Welcome to West Michigan...

Yea I'm hangared at 6d6 with my personal plane(s)... I'm actually in the club out of GRR that EdFred mentioned his mechanic does the maintenance on I would bet. It's a great club if you are looking for a club to get into, and I believe a couple shares are available, mine is going to be available soon too as I just bought a Mooney and won't need the Skyhawk anymore. There's two clubs I know of at GRR, my club the Hawk is 12 shares of a really pretty 172M w 180hp Penn Yan Conversion. Amazing avionics, she did just pass TBO but running like a watch and with the "divide by 12" button an overhaul won't be a killer when the time comes... The other club has 3 birds I believe, maybe 2 now- not sure, that ones called the Mohawk Flying Club.

But just a short hop from GRR at 6d6 I'm Prez of a brand new EAA Chapter, there's also a very active one at 8d4 over in Sparta. I think GA is alive and well in the area, as I have many GA friends that I know from here or FB that I've not even gotten a chance to meet in person like EdFred, but I do a lot with Aviation so it really is a matter of being that "busy" doing GA stuff that I've not.

Its a beutiful state to fly... The Lake MI coast is beautiful to run, there are some shipwrecks you can fly over by the Manitou Islands, a great camping airport out on N Fox Island near there, as well as a great "on shore" camping strip at 5d5 at the tip of leelanau Peninsula. You can fly to Beaver island for a trip back in time to a more laid back time, Mackinac Island for a bit of history and a day without cars but a bit tourist trappy. There's more breakfasts around than I can get to, we do a Monday night potluck several nights a summer at 6d6... You will have plenty of options here my friend...

I fly with the club at Muskegon, but there’s a steady waiting list of 15 or so. 5 planes, 100 members, so the planes are busy. There’s an EAA chapter at 8D4 on the west side of GR, FWIW.
Have been to 5D5 and Mackinac, fun rides! Lots of low clouds & ice in the winter
Last I heard (on fecesbook) there was a club starting at Z98 around a Warrior. Not sure of status. Tried to start a club there 2 years ago, couldn’t get enough capital together to make it happen.
Great Lakes ATC has been great to work with, IMHO.
Lots of training flights by WMU, keeps things busy on nice days.

Wife and I vacation in TVC/Leelanau so I'm familiar with (though never flew into) 5D5 up in Northport.

None of this is an official move yet but I thank you folks for being so welcoming and maybe by this summer we'll share some airspace and/or meet up. :fcross:

Todd,

Where are you hangared at now? If you leave will that open up a hangar close to Dayton? I’m a little south of Dayton now but would like to get closer.

Dave

Todd,

Where are you hangared at now? If you leave will that open up a hangar close to Dayton? I’m a little south of Dayton now but would like to get closer.

Dave
I'm a rental guy right now unfortunately. Last I heard Aviation Sales at DAY might have a T, and I68 had some too.

Back