Group buy - cockpit fire extinguishers

This looks like the form factor for the one I had in my plane, but couldn't find a replacement for it. The undercharged cylinder is still in my office so I'll get the measurement. If it's the same I'm definitely in as the bracket is riveted to my seat and is very easy to reach.

I noticed there is a model C352CS for Cessnas. Would ordering one of those count toward the group by discount?

I just have a fire extinguisher. Aviation approved never occurred to me.

Beware of the extinguisher hangers that the neck of the extinguisher bottle slides into. Those are very difficult to get the extinguisher out of from above. Some mounts aren't good for some installations.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Your pic is of the difficult kind, right? Mine has the two clasps IIRC. It's been nagging at me cuz I don't have one in there, especially since the bracket is right there. I really hope this one fits.

Yes, that mount has the two fingers that engage the bottle. I have it mounted the the clasp facing up and put the bottle in with the bottom against the hanger fingers. I push the buckle down to release and the bottle falls into my hand. I learned about this the hard way, when my plane was on fire. Easy release is important.

Really depends on price for me, what's retail on these?

I push the buckle down to release and the bottle falls into my hand. I learned about this the hard way, when my plane was on fire. Easy release is important.

Wow, I bet you weren't thinking about the chemical composition of the FE at the time were you? I wouldn't give a flying rat's a$$ if it destroyed my panel if it put out the flame better & faster than a non-destructive one.

Yes if the price is o.k., I may get one. I want to measure mine and see if it is 4.5"X14.

I figure it would be easier to just order one for $151 and be done?????? Going to waste $150 worth of time trying to do all this group buy setup.

This looks like the form factor for the one I had in my plane, but couldn't find a replacement for it. The undercharged cylinder is still in my office so I'll get the measurement. If it's the same I'm definitely in as the bracket is riveted to my seat and is very easy to reach.

I noticed there is a model C352CS for Cessnas. Would ordering one of those count toward the group by discount?

I would hope that either variant would qualify! No idea on pricing yet--the more that are interested, the better discount we can negotiate. Open to other models too, such as the Amerex 1211 halon 2.5 lb unit, as long as the unit has a rubber nozzle that allows pointed/controlled discharge while holding the cylinder vertical.

Troy good chatting with you as always. I'm interested and I sent you that email with my extinguisher links.

I figure it would be easier to just order one for $151 and be done?????? Going to waste $150 worth of time trying to do all this group buy setup.

Group buys are easy... You get a phone number and a group buy code and order it directly yourself, but for 10, 15, 20% off retail in expectation of the vendor receiving a mass rush of orders.

Wow, I bet you weren't thinking about the chemical composition of the FE at the time were you? I wouldn't give a flying rat's a$$ if it destroyed my panel if it put out the flame better & faster than a non-destructive one.

The point of Halon is to avoid making the confined environment any more toxic than it needs to be. Halon's ability to suppress quickly (and to get into tight spaces) is pretty amazing. Back in the Reagan era, when I was working for the Army, we actually discharged halon extinguishers in training. Really neat (but probably environmentally harmful).

Damn....$27 bucks in hazmat? For 10%, it's not worth my time. I can get it local and avoid a $30 handling fee.

I'm out.

Have we ever considered getting an aviation group going on Massdrop? We could set up all manner of group buys. I'm thinking headsets, sunglasses, all sorts of stuff most of us need or need to upgrade at some point.

Check it out: www.massdrop.com

Have we ever considered getting an aviation group going on Massdrop? We could set up all manner of group buys. I'm thinking headsets, sunglasses, all sorts of stuff most of us need or need to upgrade at some point.

Check it out: www.massdrop.com

I'd not heard of the site before. There's a few aviation themed drops happening right now (voting / selection phase)... aviator watches, quad-copters and aviation headsets.

Yeah, I'm on Massdrop pretty regularly, and so far it's been perfectly reliable. Great site for deals on audio gear, writing instruments and seemingly a few more eclectic groups such as mechanical keyboard enthusiasts and sewing enthusiasts (strange to me too!). Would love if more aviation stuff popped up on there!

Yeah, I'm on Massdrop pretty regularly, and so far it's been perfectly reliable. Great site for deals on audio gear, writing instruments and seemingly a few more eclectic groups such as mechanical keyboard enthusiasts and sewing enthusiasts (strange to me too!). Would love if more aviation stuff popped up on there!

Kinda odd mix. None of those things are hard to find at a discount. I went to the website to see what it was about and it demanded an email address and had no info on the mobile version. So much for them trying to grow a business. Buh-Bye.

I need a fire extinguisher. If you're still working on this, count me in.

Still working on it... found one good source that doesn't charge hazmat shipping fees, working with them on a discount for a group buy.

You can find many new B385TS units for under $100 on eBay. That price would be hard to beat, with free shipping. This unit uses Halotron (Halon approved replacement that leaves no residue):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...TR0.TRC0.H0.XB385TS.TRS0&_nkw=B385TS&_sacat=0

No hose, but think about using a hose-equipped fire extinguisher single pilot in the cockpit--you'd need two hands, and I think you'd be busy enough.

This is the same capacity as the one I previously posted, with the mount, for under $100, with shipping. I wasn't able to get a group buy discount for anywhere close. Thoughts? I think this is what I'm going to buy.

Info about Halon vs Halotron, and health/safety details:
http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm

Make sure of the size before you buy. I use the smaller 1.4# version and it doesn't interfere in any way with anything mounted across my seat pedestal. I don't think that would be true if the bottle was 5 1/2" taller (see post #3). Think about where you'll put it. I also have one on my truck console, FWIW.

For my start-up engine fire I was inside the plane and the airplane extinguisher was ideal. Another time my Red Dragon ignited and I had to crawl into the smoke-filled plane blind. I didn't like that at all. With that and because I carry a fuel tank in the truck I like having an extinguisher there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
If that bracket on the 1.4lb model is OK for aircraft I am in on one.

If local pickup is OK I could maybe get them and save on shipping. I will need to be down in Valdosta for work in about 4-6 weeks.

Make sure of the size before you buy. I use the smaller 1.4# version and it doesn't interfere in any way with anything mounted across my seat pedestal. I don't think that would be true if the bottle was 5 1/2" taller (see post #3). Think about where you'll put it.

We test-fit the B385TS today (me and my mechanic/A&P/IA). It'll fit perfectly across the front rails of the pilots' seat, without interfering with the TR182's two cranks (seat height and tilt) nor the pull-to-slide lever. He'll fabricate a bracket / plate that the fire extinguisher's bracket will attach to. It's the perfect width for a Cessna 182's seats.

I'll take and post pictures when it's done.

Back