Grounded-Start studying for IFR?

JB1842

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Josh
So I'm going to be medically grounded for at least 6 more months, and will be off work for most of that time recovering. Any pro's and con's for starting to study for an instrument ratings if I won't be able to apply the knowledge anytime soon? I'm sort of afraid of not retaining the info if I study now, but on the other hand I have no time constraints to study and can take my time learning the info.

I don’t see the harm in reading through the book and practicing test questions on Sportys or your favorite medium. Sure, you may not remember it all, and some of it won’t make sense maybe until you get in the plane, but I don’t see a downside.

I'd go ahead and start studying now. You'll be surprised at how much time it takes and how much you'll retain. I used sporty's which is good for life so you could always start now and review later.

Or Rod Machado's IFR book. He puts humor in it making it more memorable. I read it before each IPC.

Read the free pubs, study with Shephard Air, then take the written. It is good for two years I think. Might as well get something done while you are stuck on the ground.

Sporty’s is very good, Shepard Air is also very good, don’t need both. +1 for Free Pubs like The Instrument Flying Handbook.

Does your medical issue prevent you from taking a few instrument lessons while you are studying. Having an instructor show you a couple approach’s might be useful. Also having some sort of simulator free or low cost could really help with avionics and chart usage. Best to use one that has similar avionics that the plane you are likely to fly, like maybe a Garmin GTN simulator or X-plane.

Unless you medical issue prevents you from actually flying, you can take as many lessons as you like, but I would recommend going slow until your issues are resolved.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Sporty’s is very good, Shepard Air is also very good, don’t need both. +1 for Free Pubs like The Instrument Flying Handbook.

Does your medical issue prevent you from taking a few instrument lessons while you are studying. Having an instructor show you a couple approach’s might be useful. Also having some sort of simulator free or low cost could really help with avionics and chart usage. Best to use one that has similar avionics that the plane you are likely to fly, like maybe a Garmin GTN simulator or X-plane.

Unless you medical issue prevents you from actually flying, you can take as many lessons as you like, but I would recommend going slow until your issues are resolved.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

No flying due to back surgery recovery. Plus a couple more procedures in next few months. Even if I wanted to get in a plane, pain and stiffness wouldn't allow me to concentrate.

Start studying now and get the written out of the way.

Back