Ground school ?

Thomas Hessler

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
thessler
Hi
New to this site. I have been reading some info on this site and have seen ground school before flying time.
Could someone please explain the steps I'll need to take in order to take flying lessons ?
My last lesson was 22 years ago, I have 10 hours in the book and never did any ground school. I'm sure things have changed and I want to be prepared for what I'm getting into.
My previous lessons consisted of 15 minutes of instruction and then 45 to an hour flying.
I just booked two lessons in a few weeks and they didn't mention ground school first, I just assumed a review of some basics and go fly. Is this a poor assumption ?
Any advice greatly appreciated, Tom

There are many ways to accomplish "ground school". Most often it is self study using videos, books, classroom, and/or a combination of all three. And there are lots of providers of this material, the most frequently discussed here are the FAA (free books in the form of PDFs), King, Sportys, Gleim, Machado, Gardner (who is a member here), ASA, and a few others.

No matter who or what you use, the biggest thing is to use something that coordinates with what you're CFI is teaching you. So for the moment, don't act on purchasing anything (except the free stuff from the FAA) u till you have the first lesson you mentioned and ask this question to your instructor.

And when able, tell us where you are. We might have members near to you who would include you in their flying activities.

Lessons are often done in the form of a short review of homework, a brief of what is to be learned and accomplished on today's flight, then about 1 hr of flight time (give take 10-15 minutes) then 15-20 minute debrief/review and assignment of homework before next lesson.

Ways to maintain a high rate of success
  1. Train frequently so you don't lose the muscle memory you're developing. 2 times a week is good. Three is better.
  2. Be prepared before each lesson. If homework was assigned, have that done and understood before you show up.
  3. Don't get caught up in gadgetry and frills at this stage. Primary training is about the basics, and good pilots were made long before iPads, cell phones, and anything with a micro-circuit. Be one of those.
  4. Have as much of your training money as possible ready to go. Don't let lack of finds stall your training.
  5. Ask your CFI plenty of questions. Ask us too, but rely more on your instructor than the interwebz.

If you want to go the self study route.make a plan with your instructor,you could work out a syllabus,that keeps you both on the same track.

OK so if I'm understanding this right it's just like the old way a little lesson then go fly. That's what I was looking for.
When I saw ground school I got the impression it was take a whole course pass a test then fly, which would be a turn off for me.
I am in a better position now to due this than I was when last took lessons. I'm thinking two or three a week to keep it fresh.
Thanks, Tom

Hi
New to this site. I have been reading some info on this site and have seen ground school before flying time.
Could someone please explain the steps I'll need to take in order to take flying lessons ?
My last lesson was 22 years ago, I have 10 hours in the book and never did any ground school. I'm sure things have changed and I want to be prepared for what I'm getting into.
My previous lessons consisted of 15 minutes of instruction and then 45 to an hour flying.
I just booked two lessons in a few weeks and they didn't mention ground school first, I just assumed a review of some basics and go fly. Is this a poor assumption ?
Any advice greatly appreciated, Tom

tom, my situation was/is not too different from yours. I began lessons in 1982 but was interrupted when the wife was injured on a ski trip and was off work for 7-months. there went the extra $ and time. after that life just kept getting in the way. until 30-years later at age 62 when I resumed the quest. I began by taking a 3-day, 36-hour ground school immersion class from American Flyers. I passed the written and then began actual flying lessons, initially a 2 to 3-hour window that consisted of about 30-60 minutes applying what I learned in the ground school class to the specific flight lesson, the flight lesson itself and then a de-brief. I passed my Sport check ride about 8 or 9 months later.

I'd look for a flight school that also offers ground school. some EAA chapters will run a multi-week ground school for little-to-no cost. and flying clubs can be a great way to learn and save $. either do as I did and get ground school out of the way or do as a buddy is doing...taking a flight lesson each week that corresponds to the areas covered in the ground school that week. either way I would recommend you fly at least twice a week...more if you can swing it. flying once a week will end up taking longer and therefore more expensive.
you will need to take and pass the written exam before you take your final check ride.

OK so if I'm understanding this right it's just like the old way a little lesson then go fly. That's what I was looking for.
When I saw ground school I got the impression it was take a whole course pass a test then fly, which would be a turn off for me.
I am in a better position now to due this than I was when last took lessons. I'm thinking two or three a week to keep it fresh.
Thanks, Tom
There is no pre flying study, exam, must pass. All of the book/schoolroom items happen as you progress with the flying.

There is a knowledge exam you must pass (administered on a computer workstation at a testing center) that many take fairly early. Minimum score is 70%.

There are also "two flavor a" of flight training. Part 61 which permits flexibility of instruction and ground school on both self study and instructor led basis. And Part 141 which is more rigid in structure and includes required classroom sessions. Most career based flight schools do the latter, and most pilots who plan to fly recreationally do the former.

Hi, Thomas. First download the free ebook at www.FreeFlyBook.com. It is 70 pages and will answer just about any question you could possibly have.

Next, go to Gold Seal and sign up for the Ground School. You can take an extensive test drive for free. And this includes the entire quizzing engine. No other online program will allow you to take such an in-depth look at their product. Mention to your instructor that he/she can sign up for free and monitor your progress. All CFIs join for free (we have over 450 signed up so far, and expect to have 2,000 by the year's end). Again, no other program will allow your instructor to have full access and monitoring capability without charge. Here's the link: www.OnlineGroundSchool.com.

Now that we have a few of the knowledge questions answered for you you, let's address another important step. Obtaining your medical certificate.

This is often a step that new students will get sandbagged on if not properly informed about the process. And some spend lots of money in training just to find out they are medically disqualified. My preference is to disclose this process to you and find out of there are any medical items that would be a small stumble or a full on trip and fall over the cliff.

The medical certificate process begins with filling out FAA form 8500-8. After getting information about who you are and where you live, the big one comes up as question 18. Take a look at it (pardons for the screenshot of the form. That was the simplest way to include it.).

18. Medical History - Have You Ever In Your Life Been Diagnosed With, Had, Or Do You Presently Have Any Of The Following​

image.png

If you let us know that any of these answers are a yes, then we can provide guidance of what to do about it. Many are just a simple explanation that the flight surgeon records on his part of the form. But there are also many that require more detailed explanations including documentation from the treating physicians.

Other big questions that can cause stumbles...
  1. Any history of DUI/DWI or alcohol related knvolvment with law enforcement? If there were, what details including date(s) and recorded BAC.
  2. Any history of ADD?
  3. Diabetes Type 1 or 2?
  4. Are you at risk for obstructive sleep apnea?
  5. Are you taking any medications that the FAA prohibits?
Again, usually all of this is okay, but the gang here likes to be thorough when we help. Please take a look at this and answer if any applies. If it does, we will provide the info you need to hopefully manage to a good outcome.

Last edited:

So a bit of clarification and insight as the "ground school" aspect was highly confusing to me as well when trying to figure out the process. To get your private pilot's certificate, there are two major "tests" is you will need to pass...the written and the practical test (AKA: Checkride). To take the FAA written exam, you must have been signed off by a CFI that you have received the necessary ground training (AKA: Ground School). You can receive the ground training several ways:

-College Course
-Structured Weekend or Flight School Course
-One on One with a CFI
-Home Study Program (most common)

There are a ton of home study programs and types...book based, video based, internet based, ect...your CFI should help ya out for that portion. Once you receive the necessary ground training and test prep, you will be signed off to take the FAA written exam (60 questions requiring a 70% or better to pass).

Some people complete the ground school and written test prior to starting flight training, but it is not necessary. More common to do it concurrently with the flight training. Some CFI's will have ya do the written test prior to solo but that in not preventing you from hopping in the cockpit to start training now.

As mentioned above, get your medical out of the way first and foremost before you spend a dime on training to make sure there a no issues.

Hey Tom (and those lurking)... I always enjoy discussing flying with those who are interested in getting started. If you are in the DFW area, make contact and we'll link up.

a) some flight school are indeed requiring that you complete ground school and pass the written before you begin flying. The one here does. I think this is exceedingly stoopid. Find one that doesn't require this.

b) get your medical this month. Starting April 1, all applications must be approved by TSA. That'll delay the process by a month or two. Before April 1 you'll walk out of the AME's office with your medical in hand.

(I didn't read every word of every previous post so sorry if I'm repeating.)

Thanks for the replys they are very helpfull.
Hate to be a pest but where can I find info on a location to take the medical ?
I looked around the net and really couldn't find the locations. Seems like the medical up front is probably a smart thing to get out of the way.
I live on Long Island NY.
Thanks for the help, Tom

First place to start the medical certification process might be your personal doctor. When is the last time you have had a physical? If it has been a long time, schedule a general physical with the doctor and communicate with him your interest in flying and the current FAA standards.

Once your doctor says you're in good health and any known conditions (if any) are properly treated and managed, then you can seek out the Aviation Medical Examiner.

To find an AME, look at the FAA Medical Certification info page (click this link) and then click Locate Aviation Medical Examiner.

Do know that the quality of the AME can vary widely. And it is way to easy for new folk such as yourself to discover one on of the not so good ones. A guide to finding one is as follows:

Definition of a Good AME:
  1. Is a pilot himself
  2. Isn't an AME just because it sounds cool to have the additional accreditation on his shingle.
  3. Is a Senior AME (with a closet full of BTDT T-shirts) who knows what is required for all medical conditions and who will be a true advocate for his airmen.
  4. Has the OKC Offices on speed dial
  5. Knows the all of the Senior examiners (the 5 or 6 big swinging Docs) by first name.
  6. Prefers to take charge and issue the more challenging certificates "in office" rather than defer and let someone else "deal with it".
  7. Is not afraid to use said speed dial to reach out to said senior examiner and obtain permission to complete the said "in office" issuance.
Also talk to the local pilots and instructors to find out names and referrals. Specifically ask about AME's who fit the profile in this post.

Once you have the appointment, then you need to fill out the Certificate application, Form 8500-8. That is done online through https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/. This is what the AME will use to document the exam, add his notes and observations, and then forward to the FAA with his recommendation for either approval, deferral, or denial.

Some important tips on the MedXpress procedure.

After you complete the form, there is a procedure to "digitally sign" the document. Once that's done, you are shown the completed form with a confirmation number printed at the bottom. Do not click the proceed button as this will submit the file and you cannot retrieve it.

Save this page as a PDF file to your hard drive. Having this will make future submissions much easier.

Print this page.

Now you can press the button that allows you to proceed and submit the form.

Using scissors, cut off the confirmation number at bottom. When you go to the AME's office, DO NOT HAND OVER THIS CONFIRMATION NUMBER TO STAFF OR THE AME. Doing so will permit them to "open" the file and make the exam "live". A "live exam" can only end in three results: Approval, Denial, or Deferral.

With the exam not being live, then it is a "consultative" visit. Meaning that if something is found that stops you cold, or causes a looong delay, you have not caused any problems for yourself with a denial or deferral.

Approval while in the office is what you desire. So if the AME will conduct the exam without the confirmation number (some won't, most will) and then says, "Congratulations, you pass, I can approve you", then and only then, hand over the confirmation number.

Deferral means that a condition exists that prohibits the AME from approving you in the office and the medical certification standards require him to submit your file to the AMCD offices in Oklahoma City for the approval. If this was a known condition, and you had already gathered the required information, then this is just part of the process. But worse, and this happens to too many, the airman has bombed into the office not knowing the standards and must be deferred. Now a short time clock is running to chase around to your doctors to get documentation, tests, test results, and more. And a deferral does not always mean you will be approved, there is still a chance at being denied.

Denial of the certificate means that some condition exists that prevents you from ever obtaining a medical certificate . And if you are denied, you are denied from flying just about all powered aircraft, forever. You do not want to be denied.

As a consultative exam (aka you kept the confirmation in your pocket), if deferral or denial occurs, then you you have not jeopardized your future flying privileges and have the opportunity to discuss with the AME what steps can be taken to get to approval. And now you have the time and opportunity to execute these steps without being under time pressure of deferral, or the jeopardy of denial.

The final biggest bit of advice for the medical certificate:

Do not go into the AME's office until you know, with 100% confidence, that you will pass the exam.
If you have any specific medical questions, feel free to start a new thread under the Medical topics area and we will do our best to help.

Lot of good info here. Thanks so much for the help, I will not rush into this. I'll make shure all my home work is done before I make an appointment.
Thanks, Tom

Keep up the good questions. Sometimes all of this info can feel like the guy in the photo. But we are here to help.

091615_1554_Drinkingfro1.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something, but I have been on that link before and tried again today. There are no doctors in Long Island NY ? This is a huge place with a ton of pilots. Either I'm not doing this right or there data base doesn't work. I'll try calling them.
Thanks, Tom

Last edited:
I got a reply on the AOPA board for you, Tom.

Dr. Edwin Yost
433 LAKE AVE
St James, New York 11780
Voice: (631) 506-4388​

The pilot who provided the info says he is a good doctor, and a former Navy pilot. So that meets the #1 on the requirements list.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I have been on that link before and tried again today. There are no doctors in Long Island NY ? This is a huge place with a ton of pilots. Either I'm not doing this right or there data base doesn't work. I'll try calling them.
Thanks, Tom
Look for PM

Thanks guys I now have a few good leads. Will make an appointment and get this going.
Tom

Keep us in the loop as you progress :)

Back