Ground Power Unit

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
What to use for a Aircraft ground power unit 12v to run GPS for training?

What aircraft?
Cessna 172 and PA-28-140 cessna with external plug piper no external plug. Thinking of 12v regulated power supply 10 amp with Cigarette Lighter Plug should power up plane with battery switch off.

Last edited:
The Piper plug won’t power the stack.

Not a good idea to use a battery charger unregulated voltage to run avionics and the aircraft battery, once the blue smoke comes out of your GPS it's hard to put it back in.
Turn the master on, and keep the battery charged by the trickle charger.

What to use for a Aircraft ground power unit 12v to run GPS for training?
Is there a training app for the GPS? If not, if the GPS can be legally removed and reinstalled without an A&P, there are some external devices you can put the GPS in and practice at home or wherever you can find a 110 outlet.

I just built one for my plane using the finest in Chinese Power Supply technology, but for a 28v system. One thing to note is you don't want 12v you want 13.8 or so. The best location for ground power is always the ground power inlet rather than trying to backfeed from a lighter or something. Check your wiring diagrams to see how things are wired in. For instance as i recall on Cessna, ground power activates the master. On my not-Cessna, ground power only connects to the battery and then you have to turn on the master.

Back