Ground Point XX ?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I am at KGKY and after landing they said "switch to Ground point 87"

I was on tower freq: 128.625
I thought "ground point XX meant just swap the digits to the right of the decimal.

So being on 128.62 I assumed I should switch to 128.87
I did and nothing.

Switched back to tower and they said "Did you try 121.87?"

* Yes I know the rule says "all pertinent information about the flight" and this would include frequencies that will be needed but for the duration of this thread let's pretend I just asked what is meant by Ground point XX ;)

It's an anachronism. Commonly used.

In the dark ages, all ground frequencies were 121.XX. They aren't anymore, but some tower controllers speak as though they were.

It ALWAYS means 121.XX.

It's an anachronism. Commonly used.

In the dark ages, all ground frequencies were 121.XX. They aren't anymore, but some tower controllers speak as though they were.

It ALWAYS means 121.XX.

AND, if it's not 121.XX, tower will always use the full frequency. Used to be all ground controls were 121.9. Sometimes when there were towers close to each other, one would be 121.8. Now there are several 121.somethings. Occasionally you will get one that is NOT 121.something. Then they will give you the whole frequency.

Bottom line is if Tower has you contact ground on Point 9, it is assumed that 121 precedes the "Point".

It's not an "anachronism." It's right in the the AIM 4-3-14 and the reasons are even expressed there:

. The majority of ground control frequencies are in the 121.6-121.9 MHz bandwidth. Ground control frequencies are provided to eliminate frequency congestion on the tower (local control) frequency and are limited to communications between the tower and aircraft on the ground and between the tower and utility vehicles on the airport, provide a clear VHF channel for arriving and departing aircraft. They are used for issuance of taxi information, clearances, and other necessary contacts between the tower and aircraft or other vehicles operated on the airport. A pilot who has just landed should not change from the tower frequency to the ground control frequency until directed to do so by the controller. Normally, only one ground control frequency is assigned at an airport; however, at locations where the amount of traffic so warrants, a second ground control frequency and/or another frequency designated as a clearance delivery frequency, may be assigned.

d. A controller may omit the ground or local control frequency if the controller believes the pilot knows which frequency is in use. If the ground control frequency is in the 121 MHz bandwidth the controller may omit the numbers preceding the decimal point; e.g., 121.7, “CONTACT GROUND POINT SEVEN.” However, if any doubt exists as to what frequency is in use, the pilot should promptly request the controller to provide that information.

I am at KGKY and after landing they said "switch to Ground point 87"

I was on tower freq: 128.625
I thought "ground point XX meant just swap the digits to the right of the decimal.

So being on 128.62 I assumed I should switch to 128.87
I did and nothing.

Switched back to tower and they said "Did you try 121.87?"

* Yes I know the rule says "all pertinent information about the flight" and this would include frequencies that will be needed but for the duration of this thread let's pretend I just asked what is meant by Ground point XX ;)

When issuing a ground control frequency the numbers preceding the decimal
point may be omitted if the frequency is in the 121 MHz bandwidth.

Like others have mentioned, it is implied 121.87. Here at Republic they'll say often say it

This could be a good PP test question.

This was always a great mystery to me. A couple years ago when I lived in Vegas I'd sit at McCarran and watch arrivals and also listen to the tower frequency. Never did get what they meant by "ground point seven" and then I started my primary training... and my CFI explained it to me:)

At SFO during busy periods we use two ground control frequencies. Thus you'll hear the tower controller issue "Contact Ground .8" to one aircraft after landing, and "Contact Ground 124.25" to the next, depending on which terminal they go to. There is no "Ground .25" in that case -- we always have to say the whole 124.25 frequency, even if it's also on the ATIS.

I always thing it is odd when they have me switch to ground and it is the same controller on that freq as the prior.

Or "stay with me, this freq" because he is only one guy.

I always thing it is odd when they have me switch to ground and it is the same controller on that freq as the prior.

Yeah. Happens all the time. At IXD it's really common for the controller to be broadcasting on both freqs at the same time, but listening on each separately. So you'll be either on tower or ground and hear him talking to someone else but you can only hear half the conversation.

So you'll be either on tower or ground and hear him talking to someone else but you can only hear half the conversation.

This is common at DTO.

You guys should get out more. I hear it just about everywhere.

I even assign it at work - "contact ground point nine/seven five"

Not trying to be a smart@ss: How and where did you get the idea that when told to "Contact Ground .xx", you "just swap the digits"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Noah W

Honestly I swear (but can't find it) that I heard John king mention it in a video.

Could have also been anyone of the CFI's I flew with. I know for a fact I got that information via my ears from an outside source. I really think it was John or Martha but can't prove it.

"ground point seven" is what you hear at the Charlie next door. And yes, my instructor told me "ground point xx" means 121.xx.

Honestly I swear (but can't find it) that I heard John king mention it in a video.

Could have also been anyone of the CFI's I flew with. I know for a fact I got that information via my ears from an outside source. I really think it was John or Martha but can't prove it.

If you're at 7,500 MSL and they say Squawk altitude ... be careful;)

Happens all the time at KOLM. Tower/Ground transmit on both, but only listen for you on the appropriate frequency.

Happens all the time at KOLM. Tower/Ground transmit on both, but only listen for you on the appropriate frequency.

The same controller transmits on both frequencies but only listens on one at a time?

The same controller transmits on both frequencies but only listens on one at a time?

Yeah and he also transmits on 121.5 for good measure while he's not listening there.

Back