Ground Instructor

jeffwh1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JeffH
Hello all, While studying for the commercial written, just thinking of taking the ground instructor test as well. Any suggestion on study materials for the FOI?

Used king for the knowledge portion, used Sheppard for the most up to date questions

High 90’s score, 15 min to take the test

If you pass the Commercial with a 90 or so, you could probably pass the BGI/AGI with little additional study. The FOI, on the other hand....go find the free FAA book, read thru it, go take the test.

FOI was by far the quickest FAA test I've taken. 10 minutes and done. You either know the answers or you don't, there's nothing to figure out or do math or charts or anything.

I just read through the Aviation Instructor's Handbook (available free for download from the FAA's website) and took the test. I do wonder if I could have passed without doing any studying, just based on reasoning through the questions.

Thanks for the comments, sounds like the FOI is the easier of what I have coming up!

Go for it. The question bank is largely the same

The FOI is one where your aviation knowledge will not help. The FAA book takes a long time to explain the concepts, but you’ll need to get through it.

Take the FOI, AGI and IGI. Then take those written results to the FSDO or DPE get the AGI and IGI certificates.

If you decide you want to be a CFI then as long as you have the AGI certificate, you don’t have to take the FOI again.

If you have a desire to be a CFI and CFII, he AGI and CFI exams are pretty much the same. When you take the AGI, then knock out the CFI.

Same thing with the IGI and CFII. If you take one, then take them both.

I can’t stress Shepard Air enough. The have the prep for all of the above written exams. I used them for my CFI (92) and CFII (98). I only studied the CFII for 1 day with their prep. They’re spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FAA book takes a long time to explain the concepts, but you’ll need to get through it.
I agree. It is definitely very dry material.

But once you have absorbed it and think about it, the information makes total sense. Caused me to reflect on my past instructors and understand why the really good ones were really good.

Does the FOI expire? I took it with the plan to take the AGI test but COVID hit and the test center shut down and I became lazy..

I believe every Airman Knowledge Test is only valid for 24 months, except the ATP if you’re employed by a 135 or 121 operator. At least that’s the way it used to be before the ATP rule change.

Using the FOI to get your Ground Instructor certificate will prevent it from expiring. You just show your Ground Instructor certificate when you do your initial CFI in lieu of the FOI written. You still have to take the CFI written though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just passed the IGI (already have the AGI) and am taking the FII next week. I think it’s best to knock all these out together.

I just passed the IGI (already have the AGI) and am taking the FII next week. I think it’s best to knock all these out together.
It is… question banks are near identical.

Back