Ground control called me out today

Could it be (whoever it really was) actually clipped the airspace just a tad and ATC was trying to cut them a break with a warning??

At Eglin (bunch of restricted areas) we (controllers) would notice say a fighter getting close to a boundary and transmit to "work south" (or wherever the pilot needed to turn to stay inside) which told the pilot he was about to fly out of the restricted area. Hard for fighters to be contained some times as they're going very fast, dropping something, and then turning and burning to get out of the way of the ordinance and/or trying to remain within the restricted area. Controllers monitored the activity w/ the fighter on a discrete UHF frequency, at least at Eglin.

So even though you're technically legal flying right along a boarder of restricted areas for instance, activity could spill out. Not as big as a problem out west where they have more acreage.

I was flying out of Eglin from '70-'73.
I have some guilt about how we treated, and mistreated the controllers. To all the Tower Jockeys, I am truly sorry for some of the evil things we did, in which I was involved.
The 33rd TFW was on a constant rolling rotation to S.E.A. and Korea during that period, and we were usually acting up because we were going and we were pizzed, or we were just back and acting up because we had survived another deployment. We were afflicted with seriously bad attitude, and our egomania, nay, megalomania, was so over the top we weren't allowed in the "O" Club over on the main side of the base. We were constantly getting into brawls. Hey, we were a fighter squadron. :)
They gave us our own 33rd TFW bar, and the 58 TFS and 4485 Test Squadron were restricted to that area when we were on the base.

@Shepherd I was there 81-85 and we had a great relationship with the 33rd. All the SOFs that hung out in the tower were great guys, except maybe one I can think of lol. But he outranked me so I zipped it.

True story. I was tower supervisor and we had a Lt Col SOF up there one day. Flight of 5 Aggressors (F5s) taxing for runway 1 from the 33rd area. My GC asked Lead something, and Lead went off on him. Forget what it was about, years ago. But it was out of line and uncalled for. Well, of course we couldn't say anything being enlisted. But the 0-5 heard it too, told GC to send Mig __ up his freq (SOF freq). SOF directed Mig Lead to return to the 33rd, and instructed the remaining 4 Aggressors to press on to wherever they were going. MIG Lead turns around and complies. I was astounded! Couldn't believe it, never saw that before. Later on another SOF told me that particular pilot got a good chewing out back at the 33rd.

Anyway, I'm sure the tower weenies working when you flew out of there didn't take it personal. If they did they should be over it by now. ;)

Back