Grooved ailerons and flaps

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
Anyone knows why some planes like my Lance and Cessnas have corrugated skin on flaps and ailerons while others like Mooneys dont ?

I've always believed its an economical way to stiffen thin skins while keeping the airframe light. The smooth skins of a Mooney are perhaps attached to ribs and structure that are more closely spaced, or perhaps these skins are also thicker aluminum?

Cheaper too, no? With corrugated skin you don't need to build the internals up with ribs/etc as much.

Edit: Dang it, @GRG55 beat me by such a narrow margin that the "new messages" alert didn't even pop up when I hit the "post" button.

Brand recognition. It leaves a trademark on your forehead when you walk into them.
If you’re walking into ailerons on a lance or Mooney you must be a little person. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Those corrugations can be taken to extremes...

Ju-52
Ju52_100831.jpg

I'll see your wrinkly flaps and ...
Now here's a real wrinkly -

upload_2019-2-6_14-22-28.png

Ju-52

I think the weight of all those rivets offsets any weight savings in rib structure.

Worse: the corrugations cause turbulence and drag. The airflow over a wing that is lifting is not straight front-to-back. In flows inward some on the top, and outward on the bottom, due to the pressure differentials. That spanwise flow is the source of the wingtip vortices, too.

Fabric-covered wings that have not had the fabric properly tensioned let the fabric balloon up between the ribs, causing drag and reduced speed.

5.+Induced+Drag+Induced+Drag.jpg

That spanwise flow is the source of the wingtip vortices, too.
So those corrugations aren't winglets every 4 inches? If two winglets are good then several are not awesome? :D

Back